Offseason rumors/discussion thread

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Though a part of me think were gonna basically see a 2018 rerun with the roster..

Have to think though if Epstein was just gonna make a minor trade for lesser relievers, he would probably of done that already

Why I'm holding out hope he has something bigger planned for the roster

https://www.fangraphs.com/teams/cubs/depth-chart

I think this break down is pretty on point.

chibears55

Liked Posts:

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
I can see a trade for a pen arm but Heyward feels over the top. I would aim lower and envision Happ for a smaller prize with upside.

We just need pieces like Almora, Happ, Decalso, Contrares and even Schwarber to take advantage of the low dollar players. Which league minimum guy do we have to move up and take their place now. Yes, you can argue, we wont need the 11 everyday players anymore, but it wont work if you are replacing them with some fringe veteran making 2 million.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
I'd sign Harper because as good as Javy was last year, there's no guarantee that he's "figured it out". My hope has always been Harper and then you just pay because it's money and likely a one year issue.

I still think something like Chatwood for Porcello and Heyward for Melancon (throwing in cash to the Giants) for Harper would make a lot of sense for everyone.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I'd sign Harper because as good as Javy was last year, there's no guarantee that he's "figured it out". My hope has always been Harper and then you just pay because it's money and likely a one year issue.

I still think something like Chatwood for Porcello and Heyward for Melancon (throwing in cash to the Giants) for Harper would make a lot of sense for everyone.
What are the chances Harper plays to the contract? 20% maybe.

DanTown

Liked Posts:

You're trying to win a WS or two in the first five years of the deal and survive the last five when he's an old 1B. Can he do it? Not sure, but he's also going to be 36 at the END of the contract.

If there's a question about Harper then the Cubs should trade Rizzo and just let him walk because that's even less likely.

Castor76

Liked Posts:

Depends on what you consider that to be. Let's just look at his last 3 seasons, two of which he produced a WAR of less than 2. In the 3 seasons, his slash line is 267/.391/.505. Not great in the BA department, but fine in the other 2. But his line with runners on is .306/.442/.560. and with RISP and 2 Outs, definitely the high leverage PAs, it's .297/.490/.559.

So even with bad years, his rate numbers are very good. You put Bryant and any .350+ OBP guy in front of him, and you have a 61% chance that every gave he comes to bat with a runner on or having scored in the first inning alone. My biggest fear with Harper is him playing in more than 120 games in the season.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
From what I read it felt like hey field your deals and give us a chance to match your best offer. That is it. No guarantees.

I wouldn't read more into it honestly.

Now as far as fitting him? They would have to trade Heyward. I really don't see another solution here. Harper is going to cost 30MM and 23MM is the only way that gets fitted into a reasonable budget going forward.

Now as far as being able to make that trade? It would have to be creative. Say they trade Heyward and Chatwood then add 2 plus prospects. That is 36M moved. Cubs take back 12 mil of bad deals and a few mid tier prospects. Mostly pitching related. That basically moves 23 MM. team B gets prospect upgrades offloads a bad and absorbs Heyward 100%.

Castor76

Liked Posts:
I threw out the many faceted scenario that could open the money up, but if you wanted to get a one team or maybe a three team trade that could work is with the Indians. Believe it or not, Heyward was better last year than what they got last year out of RF. So if the Cubs found a trade of Quintana for prospects and packaged Schwarber, Happ, and Heyward for Kluber, if the Indians really want to move Kluber. That gives 20M to make the move for Harper plus it improves the rotation. Cleveland gets at all 3 outfield positions and the potential for 70 HR just based on what wht those 3 did last season along with the ABs that Cleveland got from their OF last season. It adds about 11M to Cleveland's payroll, but that still about 10M less than the year before.

Cleveland could even possibly just take Quintana as well. The WAR would even just about even out.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If the rumor true that Theo asked Boras and Harper to hold off a bit to give them a chance to clear $$$$$$

I could see Heyward and maybe even Russell in a deal together to possibly the Giants ..
Chatwood could be part of deal or in a separate deal

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
If the rumor true that Theo asked Boras and Harper to hold off a bit to give them a chance to clear $$$$$$

I could see Heyward and maybe even Russell in a deal together to possibly the Giants ..
Chatwood could be part of deal or in a separate deal

Even with Russell thrown in, why would the Giants take on Heyward's contract given where they are as an organization? They need to rebuild, not sign league-average players who are 29 and have $120mil left on their contracts.

I think this is a pipe dream.

DanTown

Liked Posts:
Even with Russell thrown in, why would the Giants take on Heyward's contract given where they are as an organization? They need to rebuild, not sign league-average players who are 29 and have $120mil left on their contracts.

I think this is a pipe dream.

It's 5/100 left and it's a question about what you take back + what cash you offset with. You're not going to dump Chatwood on them but would they take Heyward (who solves a problem for their OF) if you took back Melancon and say Jeff Z? Cubs pay more next two years but obviously get off the long-term money.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
It's 5/100 left and it's a question about what you take back + what cash you offset with. You're not going to dump Chatwood on them but would they take Heyward (who solves a problem for their OF) if you took back Melancon and say Jeff Z? Cubs pay more next two years but obviously get off the long-term money.

This is not about long term. It is and has always been about 2019. Any trade has to shed contract this year. They are already shedding Hamels, Kintzler, Zobrist, Duesing. So that is not it at all.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
On the Giants: the only way I’m dealing with them is if I can dump 12M on them. Like I said Heyward for Melacon is ideal. If they also swap prospects to balance it it is fine. They toss some of their 20-30 and the Cubs give up some high end arms. At the end of the day it is about moving contract.

After that I would think Russell/Chatwood for Martin at Toronto. That moves a BP arm ads a higher end bench presence that they want. Contracts should wash there.

Then sign Harper and Trulo

Edit: 21.5 on Heyward and 14 on Mel. So saves 7.5 mil.

Honestly it is kinda doable if Harper takes a 1st year at 20-25M. That amount is workable. If he is looking 34M hard then you have to pass as you are gutting the roster.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
On the Giants: the only way I’m dealing with them is if I can dump 12M on them. Like I said Heyward for Melacon is ideal. If they also swap prospects to balance it it is fine. They toss some of their 20-30 and the Cubs give up some high end arms. At the end of the day it is about moving contract.

After that I would think Russell/Chatwood for Martin at Toronto. That moves a BP arm ads a higher end bench presence that they want. Contracts should wash there.

Then sign Harper and Trulo

Edit: 21.5 on Heyward and 14 on Mel. So saves 7.5 mil.

Honestly it is kinda doable if Harper takes a 1st year at 20-25M. That amount is workable. If he is looking 34M hard then you have to pass as you are gutting the roster.

I've always thought Harper is way overrated but in this scenario, I would be pleased. No matter how overrated he may be, I'd still rather have him in right over Heyward. So you rid yourself of Heyward's bad contract, Chatwood's horrible pitching and Russell's awful homelife while getting Harper, hoping Melancon can help you for a year and Martin as your BU catcher. Too good to be true, but when it's too good to be true.......it's probably not gonna happen.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
I've always thought Harper is way overrated but in this scenario, I would be pleased. No matter how overrated he may be, I'd still rather have him in right over Heyward. So you rid yourself of Heyward's bad contract, Chatwood's horrible pitching and Russell's awful homelife while getting Harper, hoping Melancon can help you for a year and Martin as your BU catcher. Too good to be true, but when it's too good to be true.......it's probably not gonna happen.
And what if Harper is no better than Heyward. He costs more and is a worse defender. Harper is overrated