Offseason Thread!

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
so, theres not much going to be available VIA FAs for long term solutions the next two off seasons..
probably a good thing they chose to stock up the farm system and develop their own players, the last two yrs.

Or a mistake not to have gotten a long term solution like Prince Fielder at minimal impact to building up the farm system.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
I haven't seen anybody all that high on Szczur. Almora is a much better bet. Soler and Almora look to be the primary OF's in the future with Bryant and Lake as a potential LF. If Ellsbury were to sign with the Cubs then that would open the Cubs to potentially trading one of their "Big 4" and possibly acquire an elite pitching talent.

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
off season moves..

C. i think they will resign navarro and keep catchers the same castillo and navarro..

1B Rizzo

2B. system player or someone like Ben Zobrist if Rays dont pick up option.. they will try and trade barney or just not offer ARB and let go..

SS. castro

3B. Olt, murphy, or Lake

OF..
i think they buyout dejesus, offer schierholtz Arb... i think they go after ellsbury to man CF for a couple seasons until Almora is ready.
LF will be someone from their system

LF. system player
CF. ellsbury
RF. schierholtz

SP... samardzija , wood, and jackson are locked in..
unless i overlooked someone, but i think tim lincecum may be the only FA they take a shot on for long term

Arrieta, Rusin, and others from the system will get a crack at rotation, or if they get someone in trade..

Rel. i dont see them going after anyone VIA FA... Russell , strop, gurrier (resign ), and parker should all return ..
last spot and closer will be from what they already have in system, wouldnt surprise me if they brought back Gregg

looking at payroll it stands at 49.7 MIL for 2014 and drops to 29 MIL in 2015, so they can pretty much try and get whoever they want..
BUT looking over the FA list of this offseason and next for potential long term signings robinson cano, jacoby ellsbury, shin choo and tim lincicum would be the only ones this year and Homer bailey, Yovani Gallardo, Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto for next year if still available..
so, theres not much going to be available VIA FAs for long term solutions the next two off seasons..
probably a good thing they chose to stock up the farm system and develop their own players, the last two yrs.

I don't know why the Cubs would go after Ellsbury as a stop gap until Almora is ready. Ellsbury is a playmaker and won't be getting a 2 year deal. It will be at least 4 years probably 5-6. Lake is not going to play 3B. 0 % chance of that happening when he is capable of playing both 2B and LF. Why make him play 3B, when you have three other players that can play there, all of which have more potential than he does?

Next year the 3B on opening day will probably be the equivalent to using gum to stop a leak in a boat. He will be below average and just wait to be forced out by whoever earns the spot in Olt, Baez, or Bryant. The Cubs would prefer Olt bounces back as he has a great glove and that would allow Bryant to move to LF and Baez to SS. That is assuming they all become mainstays Castro may become expendable. If not Castro, then Baez, Lake, Olt, or Bryant would become trade bait and possibly a center piece in a deal for a true ace.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I don't know why the Cubs would go after Ellsbury as a stop gap until Almora is ready. Ellsbury is a playmaker and won't be getting a 2 year deal. It will be at least 4 years probably 5-6.

here my thinking...

Almora (19 ) depending on his progression ETA 2016 (3 yrs), they could sign Ellsbury for 4 or 5 yrs and could either trade him if Almora steps in, keep him if Almora flops, or move him to LF if its available.

Next year the 3B on opening day will probably be the equivalent to using gum to stop a leak in a boat. He will be below average and just wait to be forced out by whoever earns the spot in Olt, Baez, or Bryant.

i think Olt going to be given every opportunity to start at 3B next yr., i think he going to go to winterball and basically be given the opportunity to sink or swim next year.

If he dont make it, they will probaby go to Murphy or Lake until like you said Baez or bryant takes over later in season..

I think Lake will be their ultra bench guy, that they can count on for multiple positions..

i think if they move barney, they will go with watkins until Alcantara is ready later in the season..

LF could be a possibility for Lake, but i think they go with someone else...

Lf. is open in ST bryant (2014,2015) can move there if they go with Baez or Olt at 3B

Cf. ellsbury until Almora is ready ( 2016 )

Rf. schierholtz until Almora is ready ( 2015 )

3B. olt will get first opportunity then Baez, Bryant (2014,2015)

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I'm not sure you can assume these players will progress to the major league level in a 3 year time frame.

Not sure where you are getting the 3 year time frame from. I posted Szczur and A.A. They both have a full season of AA under their belt and should have been promoted to Iowa already. A July promotion is reasonable if they progress normally.

I never posted Almora who I agree is 3 years out. That is too far to project. I'm tentative on Soler also.

Baez I believe plows up fast next year. The team needs a impact bat like his.
Bryant not 100% sure if they rush him. I agree that they will give Olt a chance at 3B. I can not see the experiment going longer then 3 months though. Again Bryant is going to go at his own pace and I do not expect him to be rushed in emergency. They have Christian as a emergency back up.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
i think Olt going to be given every opportunity to start at 3B next yr., i think he going to go to winterball and basically be given the opportunity to sink or swim next year.

He is sinking at AAA right now.

But sure, let's promote him, hand him the major league job, throw another season away at the major league level using the Cubs like most every other team uses their minor leagues for, a testing ground for developing players.

It worked out so well with Ian Stewart.

Nah. That isn't a loser mentality or anything.

patg006

Liked Posts:
He is sinking at AAA right now.

But sure, let's promote him, hand him the major league job, throw another season away at the major league level using the Cubs like most every other team uses their minor leagues for, a testing ground for developing players.

It worked out so well with Ian Stewart.

Nah. That isn't a loser mentality or anything.

But KB, didnt you know?! Eric Chavez, even as a part-time player is an albatross contract at 4 million AND a determent from the grand master plan!

You mean to tell me not every single highly touted prospect makes it?

Buzzkill......

Anyways; interesting factoid with Josh Johnson, got put and cleared waivers. I think the cubs will take a flyer next year. Its such a Theo move to sign a chronic jerker's elbow pitcher......

But hey, he'll be cheap! And who know's what bounty of other team's table scrap prospects we'll be looking at!

I'm not sure I can contain myself :fap::fap::fap::cum:

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Get rid of Darwin Barney.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Oh look..Barney did something productive at the plate!

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I posted Szczur and A.A.

Well Almora is Albert Almora. You can see my confusion in A.A. As for Alcantara, I assume they are going to groom him for 2B. That's where most of the prospect guys view him going. As for Szczur, again, Brett Jackson is an example of a high level prospect who just didn't turn out. He never ended up in the majors for any major length of time.

Having a player like choo who has played both CF and RF at a major league level gives you options. If you can play those two you can obviously play the less demanding LF as well. So, if any 1 or 2 of the OF prospects they have suffer a set back you are going to need a solid pro. And again, some extra seasoning in the minors rarely hurts. If you sign someone like Choo for 4 years there's going to be a position for him to play for the next 2-3 years at a minimum. After that point, if he blocks a prospect for a year it's not the end of the world. If the prospect is just crushing AAA then you can try to trade Choo.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Anyways; interesting factoid with Josh Johnson, got put and cleared waivers. I think the cubs will take a flyer next year. Its such a Theo move to sign a chronic jerker's elbow pitcher......

But hey, he'll be cheap! And who know's what bounty of other team's table scrap prospects we'll be looking at!

I'm not sure I can contain myself :fap::fap::fap::cum:

If they can get a guy like Johsnon, who has been an ace in the past, for cheap then what's the problem? If that's all they did then I can understand criticism. But if it's him and Choo or some other OFer that's probably the most they could do for the money they have to spend. If Johnson turns out terrible then he's a cheap mistake. If he plays well he's a significant discount. If you pay him like a 4th starter there's really not much risk and it allows you to make other moves which can help the offense. On the contrary, you probably can't get Garza and a guy of Choo's level for $30 million/year. I'm not even sure ownership will allow the front office to spend $30 mil/year extra this off season. And at the end of the day, if that's all you have to spend that's all you can do.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Well Almora is Albert Almora. You can see my confusion in A.A. As for Alcantara,

Got ya. I just put A.A. because I'm too lazy to write it out. I normally call Almora: Almora.

A.A. looks like he is the guy that they are pushing towards 2B. LH bat for the most part. I believe he gives up the S/H pretty soon. His numbers just look bad from the right side. We will have to see though. Watkins looked like a stud at Tenn also but the difference here is A.A. has shown 15 HR power and the ability to steal bases. Better athlete.

Regardless he is a better option then Barney. Can hit #2. Another LH bat in a potentially heavy RH line up.

Now to the point of the thread:

If they were t make a splash. Thinking about fantasy here because thinking they will dump large is just that.

Nothing makes more sense then Robbie Cano don't ya know. Core hitter. LH power bat in the middle that they can put Baez and Bryant around. Moves Rizzo down in the order. That makes sense to me.

But again no they are not going to invest here. I see them spending to get Wood and Shark. If shark is a pain the will trade him and back fill via F/A.

OF I see status Que unless they can get a retrn on Dejesus and Schierholtz.

I do not see the rush though. Soon enough the talent that they have been investing into will be on their door step.

Makes little sense if they make this big effort to invest into the next wave of talent then block them all with big contracts. To be honest it is kinda stupid.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Nothing makes more sense then Robbie Cano don't ya know. Core hitter. LH power bat in the middle that they can put Baez and Bryant around. Moves Rizzo down in the order. That makes sense to me.

If money wasn't really a deciding factor I sort of agree. But, there's levels of spending. And honestly, I doubt the cubs will ever be in a position to out spend the Yanks in the near term especially if they get a free out from paying A-rod. I think if they plan to spend it will be on mid-tier FAs.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Tough call. I would rather have them develop for 2 years while spending profits towards the jumbo etc. then those new rev sources can fund a larger payroll. At that point the what if factors will be less. So what if Bryant/Baez/Soler/Olt etc will be known at that point and they have more payroll to add those proven pieces. Again it makes little sense to invest into a farm then block the players with contract. Makes more sense to see what you have. If it don't work out with that guy then spend on a solution. Vs not giving that kid a fair shake. Look at Lake. He is finally starting to look like an asset. Looking at him as a prospect he looked bust written all over him.

patg006

Liked Posts:
If they can get a guy like Johsnon, who has been an ace in the past, for cheap then what's the problem? If that's all they did then I can understand criticism. But if it's him and Choo or some other OFer that's probably the most they could do for the money they have to spend. If Johnson turns out terrible then he's a cheap mistake. If he plays well he's a significant discount. If you pay him like a 4th starter there's really not much risk and it allows you to make other moves which can help the offense. On the contrary, you probably can't get Garza and a guy of Choo's level for $30 million/year. I'm not even sure ownership will allow the front office to spend $30 mil/year extra this off season. And at the end of the day, if that's all you have to spend that's all you can do.

No problem, though I see Johnson going to a contender as a 3rd rotational guy; likely St. Louis's new reclamation project--which I would hate.

He has also stated he's very interested in playing for his hometown team (from Minneapolis.)

I dont think money will get thrown at him the way it will Lincecum or Garza, but I think Johnson and Phil Hughes are going to be on the cubs radar in terms of starting pitching. I would detest Phil Hughes.

I would kill for a guy like Roy Halladay.....I dont care if he's 37 or has a bum shoulder, Chris Rusin, while having a very nice string of starts I seriously dont think will stick.

dabears253313

Liked Posts:
Any news on Josh Vitters? I know he was injured recently but it seemed like he was playing better, moving his batting average up from .260s to .280s. I would like to see him get another chance with the Cubs in September if he isn't injured.

I know Matt Szczur is only in AA but I would like to see him come up in September as well. If he plays good and makes the roster next season, then the Cubs only have one outfield spot to worry about for the time being. Also, he is probably the Cubs outfield prospect that is closest to being major league ready.

Kyle Hendricks would be nice in September but at least he was finally promoted to AAA, means he is closer to the MLB.

What are everyone elses thoughts? I know I was kinda off topic.

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
I dont think money will get thrown at him the way it will Lincecum or Garza, but I think Johnson and Phil Hughes are going to be on the cubs radar in terms of starting pitching. I would detest Phil Hughes.

Johnson's fastball is still at 93-95. His fastball, breaking ball, and slider are still striking out plenty. He did well his last start throwing five scoreless which he attributed to a mechanical flaw that was found. He claims he wasn't getting on top of the ball enough to control his breaking pitches. Maybe he suffered from a stint of Zambrano's Disease. So at least he's changed his arm slot and looks to have better control as a result. He is only going to get better IMO as he continues.

I wouldn't be afraid to give Johnson a four to six year deal at around the 11-14 million per mark depending on the length of contract. He still has the strikeout stuff at a little over 9K's/9 innings. It would also give a chance for Bosio to earn some of his money to see if he's worth keeping around too.

Too much upside, youth, and historcal data not to give this guy a look to bring aboard. He could really help what is now a horrific starting staff. He's the kind of "lightning in a bottle" that I can stomach as a fan.

:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, I don't get why some people think Castillo won't be on the team. The guy has over a .360 OBP and playing good d. He has also gotten better an better as the year goes on. He is a core piece going forward