Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
If the Bears end up with a early second, have drafted defense in the first and O'cyrus Torrence is sitting there along with Downs,Hyatt and Boute as the top remaining WR's would you consider taking Torrence?

He hasn't allowed a sack since high school ( assuming he allowed one there) and has allowed exactly one QB hit in 3065 college snaps. He isn't flash but he could be a whole lot of substance.

Last edited:

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
This guy has a few of these. He also has one on Will Anderson vs the Tennessee OT who will probably a 2nd round pick.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If the Bears end up with a early second, have drafted defense in the first and O'cyrus Torrence is sitting there along with Downs,Hyatt and Boute as the top remaining WR's would you consider taking Torrence?

He hasn't allowed a sack since high school ( assuming he allowed one there) and has allowed exactly one QB hit in 3065 college snaps. He isn't flash but he could be a whole lot of substance.

He's going to be a pro bowl guard but he doesn't fit the Bears scheme. O'Cyrus is 347lbs. Bears offensive linemen are going to need to be lighter, quicker and more agile. Big and bulky is gone. Bears use a Shanahan-style wide zone blocking scheme with attack.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:

I'd take Torrence with Downs as 2nd choice of those.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
He's going to be a pro bowl guard but he doesn't fit the Bears scheme. O'Cyrus is 347lbs. Bears offensive linemen are going to need to be lighter, quicker and more agile. Big and bulky is gone. Bears use a Shanahan-style wide zone blocking scheme with attack.
He could probably easily drop 20 -25 lbs and be fine.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Torrence is great. I think the conversation for best OL in the draft is close between him and Skoronski. Skoronski gets the edge because he can maybe play tackle, but if Skoronski is for sure a guard, I like Torrence better.

That being said, I don't know if the Bears see Torrence as a fit. They focused primarily on smaller, athletic linemen. Torrence would be bigger than all the other linemen they have. He is plenty athletic for his size, but I wonder if he'd even be on their radar at 340lb +. I'd certainly take him and hope he can lose about 15-20lbs and get to 325-330, but IDK that the Bears will consider him.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I get the size issue, but if a guy has the potential to lock down a position at an elite level for 10+ seasons, you have to take a long look at him.
If you throw out OT --FA C -- TJ as your interior line and create a consistent pocket for JF to scan the field and room to step up, I have a hard time hating that.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He could probably easily drop 20 -25 lbs and be fine.

He'd still be a little on the bigger side if he cut that and went down to 325lbs. You want an Elgton Jenkins type player at 310lbs.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Torrence is great. I think the conversation for best OL in the draft is close between him and Skoronski. Skoronski gets the edge because he can maybe play tackle, but if Skoronski is for sure a guard, I like Torrence better.

That being said, I don't know if the Bears see Torrence as a fit. They focused primarily on smaller, athletic linemen. Torrence would be bigger than all the other linemen they have. He is plenty athletic for his size, but I wonder if he'd even be on their radar at 340lb +. I'd certainly take him and hope he can lose about 15-20lbs and get to 325-330, but IDK that the Bears will consider him.
That’s what I was wondering. I thought this scheme preferred smaller linemen

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Not sure he fits the Bears running scheme, didn’t see a lot of pulling in that video. With that said, after watching PHI get pressure any time they wished by running a simple ET stunt against Jones and Whitehair the Bears certainly need a iOL with his level of field awareness - he looks to have a really strong understanding of his blocking assignment.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I get the size issue, but if a guy has the potential to lock down a position at an elite level for 10+ seasons, you have to take a long look at him.
If you throw out OT --FA C -- TJ as your interior line and create a consistent pocket for JF to scan the field and room to step up, I have a hard time hating that.

He's talented but it's hard to say if he'll play at a high level in a position that doesn't fit him. Broderick Jones & Anton Harrison would be good guard prospects for the Bears even though they currently play tackle.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He'd still be a little on the bigger side if he cut that and went down to 325lbs. You want an Elgton Jenkins type player at 310lbs.
Size alone won't disqualify him. It's about how he moves. I think he moves well now at 347. At 325, I'm sure he'd move well enough for the Bears to feel comfortable with him fitting their offense. It's only 4lbs more than Teven Jenkins' listed weight.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
1. I think OL is the #1 free agent focus and this is addressed then.

2. Boute is off my board unless it’s day 3.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Size alone won't disqualify him. It's about how he moves. I think he moves well now at 347. At 325, I'm sure he'd move well enough for the Bears to feel comfortable with him fitting their offense. It's only 4lbs more than Teven Jenkins' listed weight.

It's risky getting a first round pick and expecting him to cut 30-35lbs, he'd really have to blow you out the water with his ability. He'll be going through the rookie struggle malnourished on a calorie deficit to lose weight, probably losing a lot of strength and feeling low energy constantly while his body is in shock from this complete change he is going through.

320lbs was the last update I heard on Jenkins weight he said he gained a lot of weight because his back even up to 345lbs at one point. The Bears have him on a special diet and they probably want him around 315lbs but that depends on his body fat as well.

Last edited:

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
It's risky getting a first round pick and expecting him to cut 30-35lbs, he'd really have to blow you out the water with his ability. He'll be going through the rookie struggle malnourished on a calorie deficit to lose weight, probably losing a lot of strength and feeling low energy constantly while his body is in shock from this complete change he is going through.

320lbs was the last update I heard on Jenkins weight he said he gained a lot of weight because his back even up to 345lbs at one point. The Bears have him on a special diet and they probably want him around 315lbs but that depends on his body fat as well.
I mean, I said I don't know if he'll even be on the Bears radar based on his size already. I'm not advocating drafting him and then making him lose weight. But it can certainly be done. And it's certainly can be done without him being malnourished and on a caloric deficit. He can still eat plenty of proteins and lose the weight in a healthy way, which will be done with the help of NFL nutritionists. In fact, I'd imagine he's under 335 or 340 for the combine just to show teams he can fit in every kind of offense.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I mean, I said I don't know if he'll even be on the Bears radar based on his size already. I'm not advocating drafting him and then making him lose weight. But it can certainly be done. And it's certainly can be done without him being malnourished and on a caloric deficit. He can still eat plenty of proteins and lose the weight in a healthy way, which will be done with the help of NFL nutritionists. In fact, I'd imagine he's under 335 or 340 for the combine just to show teams he can fit in every kind of offense.

It's a real shame though that the best pure guard doesn't fit the Bears. Bears luck right?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
1. I think OL is the #1 free agent focus and this is addressed then.

2. Boute is off my board unless it’s day 3.

Hyatt should be gone too. I think he will move up the boards after his undwear Olympics showing.

maxhatter

Liked Posts:
Exactly right, he fits a power gap scheme and will be average at best in a wide zone offense

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Exactly right, he fits a power gap scheme and will be average at best in a wide zone offense

Agree and Bears already have a O'Cyrus type guy starting at guard in Teven Jenkins who they work hard to manage his weight.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
His running mate at Florida, LT Richard Gouraige is also coming out and he had a fantastic season protecting Richardson's blindside.