Olin Kreutz on Leno/Graham

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
It wasn’t about cutting Leno as it was about the fact we had NO PLAN B. Pace decided to force a rookie RT to play LT and it turns out that rookie can’t play anyways. If we cut Graham at least there was Kmet behind him, all we did was dig an unnecessary hole
Subtraction by subtraction

UK_STALEY

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I know right? I don't know what Olin was seeing last year...

We had to cut Leno for team morale and discipline. You can't keep starting a guy playing that poor an effort without it affecting the entire team.

And Graham was not a liability, he was an asset. He was as productive as a thought he'd be. Was Olin expecting a probowl performance? Was he overpaid? Probably a bit, but he was an asset.

Bears were always going to add a Tackle to adjunct the rookie they got in the draft. Leno was to be cut regardless.
So we can expect Eddie Jackson to be cut any minute now?

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I do wonder if Olin has watched ALL the tape of the last 3 years we've seen Leno struggle live, but even worse on tape reviews when it's pointed out. That's led me to actually for Leno on the failed play replays & he sucked & sucked often; even on non-sack plays. So much traffic in the backfield. Stats on Bears' RBs time before contact, contact behind LOS, and % of yards after contact shows this. Not all on Leno of course, but his effort declined on tape, esp. on 2nd level blocks or not going downfield to follow plays to support. To OP's point...

Olin sure loves him some Mustipher, BUT he's actually worked directly with Sam AND coached him privately. To my knowledge he's not worked with or even spoken with Leno, nor did Leno reach out to Olin like Sam did. Anybody know more about if Leno has a tighter connection to Olin than notta?

Last edited:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Find it interesting that Olin isn’t as down on Leno as most Bears fans were. Also seemed to prefer cutting Graham as some (me) had mentioned.
He's not wrong. I've said I'm fine without Leno but also confirmed it's personal bias. There's no question that we'd now be better off with him but I'm just tired of watching him lunging and diving. He may mostly accomplish his initial task but he doesn't sustain or 2nd level enough. He offers very little value added.

Last edited:

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I must have missed the part of the game when the Dolphins were hitting and sacking the Bear QBs. I know those guys were probably trying because I couldn’t hear them counting 1, 1,000, 2, 1000 3, 1000 on the field mics before rushing the QB.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
I was never opposed to cutting Leno, but Plan A was faulty (rookie with a bad back), Plan B appears to be another Rookie from the 5th round, Plan C was to "find" someone on the current roster to fill in, Plan D was to get a Tackle that is as old as Tom Brady, and will likely not make it through the season.

At this point, keeping Leno appears to have been the best plan. Perhaps making him aware that he was going to be cut or replaced through competition would have motivated him to play better?

Leno was a 7th rounder that played his was into a second contract, and at the time, many of you and I thought it was good signing.

The failure here is that, every single plan A-D was critically faulty. It appears that Pace has simple taken too much risk, in the off season to try to address the LT position.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I must have missed the part of the game when the Dolphins were hitting and sacking the Bear QBs. I know those guys were probably trying because I couldn’t hear them counting 1, 1,000, 2, 1000 3, 1000 on the field mics before rushing the QB.
To be fair, Wilkerson showed he wasn't going to be a good enough at LT unless you cover him. His high effort, too often 2nd effort, and ability to keep his feet saved him at times but he doesn't have the chops for LT.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They were saying 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi.....

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I do wonder if Olin has watched ALL the tape of the last 3 years we've seen Leno struggle live, but even worse on tape reviews when it's pointed out. That's led me to actually for Leno on the failed play replays & he sucked & sucked often; even on non-sack plays. So much traffic in the backfield. Stats on Bears' RBs time before contact, contact behind LOS, and % of yards after contact shows this. Not all on Leno of course, but his effort declined on tape, esp. on 2nd level blocks or not going downfield to follow plays to support. To OP's point...

Olin sure loves him some Mustipher, BUT he's actually worked directly with Sam AND coached him privately. To my knowledge he's not worked with or even spoken with Leno, nor did Leno reach out to Olin like Sam did. Anybody know more about if Leno has a tighter connection to Olin than notta?
I think Olin was of the opinion that proven mediocrity is better than nothing. That said, I was with you on the situation.
Pace rolled the dice and right now, it looks like he crapped out. May not actually be the case but Olin's point is that he could have just surrendered the dice and left the table.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I also don't think Pace cuts Leno when he did unless he was simply done with him. He had over a month to contemplate doing so before he actually had to free up that cap space and did it at the earliest he the opportunity after the draft.

Last edited:

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
He's not wrong. I've said I'm fine without Leno but also confirmed it's personal bias. There's no question that we'd now be better off with him but I'm just tired of watching him lunging and diving. He may mostly accomplish his initial task but he doesn't sustain or 2nd level enough. He offers very little value added.
There is no truth to that yet. You have to give it at least a few games to see if Peters can play again like his 2019 version or if Borom steps up and plays well. It could be true in the near future, but we don’t know yet.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
There is no truth to that yet. You have to give it at least a few games to see if Peters can play again like his 2019 version or if Borom steps up and plays well. It could be true in the near future, but we don’t know yet.
I didn't mean from a play perspective. I meant in terms of depth/availability. As I said, it was a risk I was willing to take to move on from the mope.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
It’s gonna be ironic when Borom takes over the LT spot and Tevin Jenkins is forced into RT where he belongs next year when he plays.
Its entirely possible that we look back on this at a later date and go "wow that seemed to work out well in the long-run." You never know. If Borom turns out to be a stud at LT then it very easily could have been for the best and it just took a shorter-term setback to bring it about.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
well not really, judging by their incompetence dating back to the 80s
It doesn’t matter if they are incompetent or not. They are the ones that make the decisions. So yes, the Bears staff and FO are the only opinions that matter.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IMHO it was addition by subtraction. It's like quitting a shit job that you hate because it's so bad and you force yourself to find another when you tried everything to make it work but couldn't. Status quo was no longer acceptable. Leno sucked and was hurting the team by playing.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
IMHO it was addition by subtraction. It's like quitting a shit job that you hate because it's so bad and you force yourself to find another when you tried everything to make it work but couldn't. Status quo was no longer acceptable. Leno sucked and was hurting the team by playing.
Quit that shit job but have no viable income for quite some time