Only in the NFL.....

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
Is beating your fiance within an inch of her life 87.5% less severe than smoking a joint.</p>

</p>

Josh Gordon's 1 year ban upheld by NFL for Marijuana usage.</p>

</p>

</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sounds like they're consulting with the NHL's disciplinary committee. A whole year for weed....?  Time to rethink that policy. </p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
<blockquote class="ipsBlockquote" data-author="Spunkus Porkstandzus" data-cid="235549" data-time="1409189472">
<div>

Sounds like they're consulting with the NHL's disciplinary committee. A whole year for weed....?  Time to rethink that policy. </p>
</div>
</blockquote>

</p>

Two games for Ray Rice for beating the shit out of his wife?</p>

</p>

Time to rethink that policy.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
While I think that the two games is ridiculous. The comparison here is just dumb. He's not getting a full year for an infraction of marijuana usage. He's getting a full year for repeated offenses. He's getting a full year for:

</p>

1. Violation of Substance abuse policy (2013)</p>

2. Violation of League Conduct Policy (DUI, 2014)</p>

3. Violation of Substance abuse policy (2014)</p>

4. All the other stuff I missed.</p>

</p>

Ray Rice's punishment was ridiculous to be sure, even the NFL knows that as they have been already talking about future changes to the policy. But this is not an apples to apples case, it's a history of behavior vs. one incident. You can't even pull the star treatment card, because Gordon was being fast tracked to the top of the WR list in the NFL, and they still took him down a peg. The only connection that this has to Ray Rice would be that you could argue that they came down hard on him because of the flack they were getting over Rice's light suspension.</p>

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
I see what you're saying but even those 3+ examples are nothing compared to what Ray Rice did.

I know all the rules and CBA stuff that went into it... still doesn't make it less ridiculous.

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
The rules of what they can and cannot do handcuff them a bit here. It's a first time violation vs. a history of violations thing unfortunately for them. You have to remember that despite the act that Rice did, I believe it was 1.) still a first time offense, and 2.) you have to remember that while he was indicted no charges will stick and he entered a pretrial program to clear the charges. His wife didn't press charges, and they were only brought up because the NJ DA insisted. Meaning, the NFL didn't actually have anything to suspend him on other than the violation of the league conduct policy. So on fucking technicalities you're basically looking at the 2 game suspension being becuase he's a first time offender of the league conduct policy, not because he knocked his fiance out. That's the main thing that the media is glossing over. It sucks, and it's not justified, but that's the black and white of what I'm sure his lawyers argued. The real problem here is that the NFL has always had to the power to do whatever they want, so it would be really interesting to see what other first time conduct policy suspensions were handed out and how they stack up because they could have easily adjusted for severity against those.</p>

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So Goodell has apologized for the R Rice case and the NFL has instituted a 6 game ban for a first domestic violence offense. That didn't take long. But in this case Rice would have still slid through because charges were never brought against him.</p>

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
Damage control... if he feels so strongly about it, he could have made it retroactive to rice but he didn't. The funny thing is if you look at what he's saying, he said he made the wrong call and is changing the rule NOT because of fixing his mistake, but because of the fan backlash and the public perception that it put on the NFL. If there wouldn't have been public outrage they would have kept it the same.</p>