Only the Bears REALLY wanted Alex Leatherwood

Bears Backer 54

Liked Posts:
I don't think it is that no other team wanted to take a chance on him as much as no team wanted to take a chance on him at the price tag prior to him clearing the waivers. Poles has given himself the ability to take this chance because he didn't overpay for Oline talent earlier in FA so taking on a salary that will average 2 million the next few years is something he can try for if he thinks the players skills might have a fit somewhere along the Oline. I'm not impressed with the footage I've seen of Leatherwood in the NFL, but he also has had multiple Oline coaches and lacked consistency to probably try and develop and adjust. His techniques were one of his areas needing some help coming into the NFL and perhaps the Bears can provide some consistency and development to make him a depth piece. It's really a small risk even if it doesn't have good odds of working out.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Is this smart from Poles or not is my question?

I actually think it was smart and here is why.

They thought he has enough value and potential to take a spot on the roster (53).
They did not want to get into bidding situation because they really do not have enough cap space this year to play games
The actual cost is a steal if he pans out, and nominal if he flops...win-win

They once again showed the player some respect, by being the only team willing to claim him off waivers. Similar to Smith (and maybe Jenkins), where they did not fine him for the hold-in after contract negotiations broke down.

I am going to be the optimist and say that the fresh start will get him refocused on learning and earning a starting spot on the team.

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
What don't you get?
Why they signed him (Leatherwood). They already have projects at RT and RG and I don't think Leatherwood is better than Jenkins or Borom. I'm sure the Bears staff knows their personnel better than I but as I said, the only way I see it working is if Leatherwood backs up (and hopefully learns from) Whitehair at LG.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Why they signed him (Leatherwood). They already have projects at RT and RG and I don't think Leatherwood is better than Jenkins or Borom. I'm sure the Bears staff knows their personnel better than I but as I said, the only way I see it working is if Leatherwood backs up (and hopefully learns from) Whitehair at LG.
Does he have to be anything other than a backup? This really isn’t complicated. He’s a guy they think they can coach up. But at 2 mil a year he’s making backup money and doesn’t need to be more than that. If he starts down the road then great… if not who cares?

E.F.Hutton

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Does he have to be anything other than a backup? This really isn’t complicated. He’s a guy they think they can coach up. But at 2 mil a year he’s making backup money and doesn’t need to be more than that. If he starts down the road then great… if not who cares?
That's a fair assessment. Not every player has to be a star, even if I want them to be. :cool:

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
I know this guy is going to be a pile of shit because the term "low risk, high reward" is being kicked around a little too much on CCS.

Paying for another teams' draft mistake is something the Bears have excelled at over the years.

msadows

Liked Posts:
I know this guy is going to be a pile of shit because the term "low risk, high reward" is being kicked around a little too much on CCS.

Paying for another teams' draft mistake is something the Bears have excelled at over the years.

Its 6mill over 3 years.

He's a lineman on a team desperate for them. Who the fuck cares? You have to spend your money on someone. Or would you rather have kept prisonbreak Mike for the same pricetag?

Scratches head, never ever heard of what's his name TE

Evidently he's a very good blocker and thats about it.

Makes cents, Kmet is a beast in the run game but Griffin has been terrible in preseason on his move and pull blocks. I'd assume this guy gets some work in the run game and thats about it.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Only the bears said fuck it we'll take the huge contract...

The guaranteed signing bonus is linked to the raiders.

Bears are paying about 6m over 3 years. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Basically zero risk, considering what he's making is the vet Min and young offensive line talent is very rare to find in the nfl.

I expect nothing out of him, but having him on the bottom of the depth chart at 2m is a much better deal than having an old bum like Ifedi here.

cameronkrazie86

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Atlanta Braves
  1. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Vegas Golden Knights
  1. Duke Blue Devils
  2. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Basically zero risk, considering what he's making is the vet Min and young offensive line talent is very rare to find in the nfl.

I expect nothing out of him, but having him on the bottom of the depth chart at 2m is a much better deal than having an old bum like Ifedi here.
Agreed. He's young enough that he's basically a 2022 draft pick while not having to pay him like one. The plus is he already has 17 games of experience (even if he was terrible) and with time and development can hopefully regain his confidence and become a contributor down the line. I'm hoping he doesn't have to play much this year except in garbage time and can grow into the position rather than being stuck on an island 72% of the time by himself as a rookie.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:

I agree on the last line and I was speaking in terms of the players on the waiver....

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of you seem to get it. It's very simple to Google Bears Leatherwood and read a few articles to figure it out if thinking it's a terrible move or that he's garbage.

OAK has a new coach and GM than the one that drafted him. Leatherwood was a very raw OL with good run blocking but needs lots of technique work in pass pro. His coaches put him on islands without help at a very high % last year...remind you of any other ignoramous f'n coaches we just saw for 4 seasons who refused to adjust?

Poles talked to several coaches who worked with Leatherwood before and admitted as much. He & Eber trust their coaches to teach him up. TBD if patient enough to let him develop and put him in good positions to succeed. They even have the 5th year option now, all for very much cheaper than starting OL FA prices, as many of you said.

I didn't even read OPs article, given the clickbaity title indicating Bears were the only ones, as if that really means anything. Other teams wanted him for free or less than Bears are now paying, but also missed out on option of locking him into cheap future rates if he does improve + 5th year option. Whatever. Cool pickup, but nothing to be concerned about for the short term.