OT: Andrew Luck Retiring

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
myk...

if 100% of people tried opiates, there would be a much larger than 1-2% problem.

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins
Convenient how the Colts can suck again and then draft Tua and continue the QB lineage.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Convenient how the Colts can suck again and then draft Tua and continue the QB lineage.

Eh, I honestly do not see the Colts being so bad to have the #1 overall pick again. They should still be in contention to win the AFC South. Although with have no Luck, they pretty much do not have really any chance of a Superbowl.

IMO, the AFC South is wide open as each team has big flaws or unknowns. So really, any of the 4 of them have a shot at the division but I seriously doubt the AFC South produces a wildcard team.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
MYK, read. Look up the stories of NFL players that are suing, have sued or simply have given their stories of becoming addicted to prescription drugs because of being in the NFL and having drugs pushed on you to stay on the field. NFL athletes happen to be a part of their own low percentage club.

People are suing Round Up for a cancer it has never been proven to cause. Lawsuits jump on many things based on popular belief, they don't need to convince science of the truth, only a jury of idiots they were able to select 50% of.

You know how many actual Drs have told me "Hmm, 7 concussions, that might be why you have migraines."? Zero and I've brought it up to every PCP and Neuro. And that's with one of those concussion accidents fitting what the Dr said was the cause of my cervical fusion. It's almost like CTE which players are suing over doesn't exist outside of football stadiums and court rooms for the rest of us.

So yeah, the morality police in politics decided to push pain patients to suicide to stop street drugs because it's easier to stop the flow of drugs they do control rather than the flow of illegal drugs they can't control. They created a fad panic to show how much they care. The truth is they're making the illegal drug problem worse by creating more customers (who then become addicts because that's how screwed up the definition of the word is) who never had a problem taking prescription drugs before. It's in the media which convinces people like you, people like you make up juries, lawyers are jumping.

Interesting discussion, though some misinformation.

Perhaps Luck should have found mmj and dealt with the pain? He seems like a boyscout who would follow the NFL directives, directives that prevented him from managing his physical and emotional pain with the best available tool.

I doubt it would work for his calf pain unless he was stoned all the time. If he's that much of a boyscout I don't think he would like it.
It might help with the mental part of it. When pressed by those who aren't getting pain relief those who do often admit that it's more about making them happy in spite of the pain.
I wonder if the media fear of pain meds played in his decision.

My neck has loosened up greatly since I started and it seemed to cause back spasms at first but now I'm using fewer muscle relaxers so it might help him long term.

myk...

if 100% of people tried opiates, there would be a much larger than 1-2% problem.

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that the percentage of people who were addicted in 1920 is the same percentage of people addicted today. More people, more drugs, same percentage, that doesn't fit the media claims that addiction is getting worse and we treat too much pain. Give people randomly injured opioids and you will only end up with 1%-2% addicted same as it ever was. And that is even with Drs being very bad about not weening people off of dependency and leaving them to pick the streets to end the withdrawal or fight through it.

If you don't believe it's harder for patients to be addicted look up the DSM-5 on Opioid Use Disorder. Read the fine print:
"* Patients who are prescribed opioid medications for analgesia may exhibit these two criteria (withdrawal and tolerance), but would not necessarily be considered to have a substance use disorder. " Patients have 2 fewer options to have OUD, they have to go above and beyond their prescription. And if you use common sense on other criteria they can't even get to severe levels.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So instead of looking up a single thing you decided to make sweeping generalizations. Okay boss. Live in your own head if you like.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So instead of looking up a single thing you decided to make sweeping generalizations. Okay boss. Live in your own head if you like.

This is my life. I don't need to look shit up I'm already well versed in.
Why don't you bother to look up the pain patients being denied medical care or getting treated like junkies to get it instead of going to Hollywood and the NFL for your medical information?

I can't believe I'm the only one talking up to date studies on genetics and giving the DSM-5, you're talking about football stars and telling me to look stuff up.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
This is my life.

Got a call from an old friend we'd used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house, bought a ticket to the west coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Got a call from an old friend we'd used to be real close
Said he couldn't go on the American way
Closed the shop, sold the house, bought a ticket to the west coast
Now he gives them a stand-up routine in L.A.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is my life. I don't need to look shit up I'm already well versed in.
Why don't you bother to look up the pain patients being denied medical care or getting treated like junkies to get it instead of going to Hollywood and the NFL for your medical information?

I can't believe I'm the only one talking up to date studies on genetics and giving the DSM-5, you're talking about football stars and telling me to look stuff up.

Dude you really do live in your own world don't you? You butted into a conversation literally on a sports forum about NFL players in which I'm talking about players' usage of pain meds (and their consequential addiction to them)...give sweeping generalizations about it then go in depth about your struggle. Your situation sucks and I feel for you but none of that has anything to do with what I'm trying to talk about here and you keep changing subject.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
People are suing Round Up for a cancer it has never been proven to cause. Lawsuits jump on many things based on popular belief, they don't need to convince science of the truth, only a jury of idiots they were able to select 50% of.

You know how many actual Drs have told me "Hmm, 7 concussions, that might be why you have migraines."? Zero and I've brought it up to every PCP and Neuro. And that's with one of those concussion accidents fitting what the Dr said was the cause of my cervical fusion. It's almost like CTE which players are suing over doesn't exist outside of football stadiums and court rooms for the rest of us.

So yeah, the morality police in politics decided to push pain patients to suicide to stop street drugs because it's easier to stop the flow of drugs they do control rather than the flow of illegal drugs they can't control. They created a fad panic to show how much they care. The truth is they're making the illegal drug problem worse by creating more customers (who then become addicts because that's how screwed up the definition of the word is) who never had a problem taking prescription drugs before. It's in the media which convinces people like you, people like you make up juries, lawyers are jumping.

I doubt it would work for his calf pain unless he was stoned all the time. If he's that much of a boyscout I don't think he would like it.
It might help with the mental part of it. When pressed by those who aren't getting pain relief those who do often admit that it's more about making them happy in spite of the pain.
I wonder if the media fear of pain meds played in his decision.

My neck has loosened up greatly since I started and it seemed to cause back spasms at first but now I'm using fewer muscle relaxers so it might help him long term.

Maybe, but that doesn't change the fact that the percentage of people who were addicted in 1920 is the same percentage of people addicted today. More people, more drugs, same percentage, that doesn't fit the media claims that addiction is getting worse and we treat too much pain. Give people randomly injured opioids and you will only end up with 1%-2% addicted same as it ever was. And that is even with Drs being very bad about not weening people off of dependency and leaving them to pick the streets to end the withdrawal or fight through it.

If you don't believe it's harder for patients to be addicted look up the DSM-5 on Opioid Use Disorder. Read the fine print:
"* Patients who are prescribed opioid medications for analgesia may exhibit these two criteria (withdrawal and tolerance), but would not necessarily be considered to have a substance use disorder. " Patients have 2 fewer options to have OUD, they have to go above and beyond their prescription. And if you use common sense on other criteria they can't even get to severe levels.

Someone gets it...

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Dude you really do live in your own world don't you? You butted into a conversation literally on a sports forum about NFL players in which I'm talking about players' usage of pain meds (and their consequential addiction to them)...give sweeping generalizations about it then go in depth about your struggle. Your situation sucks and I feel for you but none of that has anything to do with what I'm trying to talk about here and you keep changing subject.

ROFLMAO, butted into a conversation in a public thread on a forum I've been a member of for a long time. OK then.

The drug you were originally talking about isn't an addiction issue. It wasn't until you made the incorrect media driven claims about addiction that I jumped in. Torodol, yes, unhealthy to over use, it's contraindicated for me period for the reasons you mentioned. NFL probably does still pressure players to take drugs to keep playing to the detriment of health (all while worrying if they pee hot for THC). I don't need to read up on that, I've known that since the 70s when the NFL was pushing all kinds of addictive drugs on players. Does anyone think Namath wasn't zonked out of his mind to play, and obviously even in his interviews? But unless he was going to the streets for drugs even if he was on oxi 24/7 that does not mean addiction.

Do you know why Drs don't pay enough attention to drug dependency and abruptly cut people off setting the stage for addiction in those who have the genetics for it? Because many Drs don't even think dependency is an issue for patients (and I can guarantee it is). Until this media scares, addiction was never mentioned for patients because they were and still are all but excluded from the diagnostics for addiction.

Part of this is my life is complaining to the NFL about denying players with IBD the ability to try cannabis when they are in legal states. I think they don't make an exception for steroids. Can't take NSAIDs for anything. So have surgery and take opioids which come with their own issues beyond addiction potential. I'm aware of the NFL's twisted drug policy beyond football injuries.
And I do know of at least one football player's claims about addiction and they were BS. He went on to be an addict because he made that choice not because someone gave him pills for an injury. Sounded like he even knew he was making a bad choice but that is the nature of addiction.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
ROFLMAO, butted into a conversation in a public thread on a forum I've been a member of for a long time. OK then.

The drug you were originally talking about isn't an addiction issue. It wasn't until you made the incorrect media driven claims about addiction that I jumped in. Torodol, yes, unhealthy to over use, it's contraindicated for me period for the reasons you mentioned. NFL probably does still pressure players to take drugs to keep playing to the detriment of health (all while worrying if they pee hot for THC). I don't need to read up on that, I've known that since the 70s when the NFL was pushing all kinds of addictive drugs on players. Does anyone think Namath wasn't zonked out of his mind to play, and obviously even in his interviews? But unless he was going to the streets for drugs even if he was on oxi 24/7 that does not mean addiction.

Do you know why Drs don't pay enough attention to drug dependency and abruptly cut people off setting the stage for addiction in those who have the genetics for it? Because many Drs don't even think dependency is an issue for patients (and I can guarantee it is). Until this media scares, addiction was never mentioned for patients because they were and still are all but excluded from the diagnostics for addiction.

Part of this is my life is complaining to the NFL about denying players with IBD the ability to try cannabis when they are in legal states. I think they don't make an exception for steroids. Can't take NSAIDs for anything. So have surgery and take opioids which come with their own issues beyond addiction potential. I'm aware of the NFL's twisted drug policy beyond football injuries.
And I do know of at least one football player's claims about addiction and they were BS. He went on to be an addict because he made that choice not because someone gave him pills for an injury. Sounded like he even knew he was making a bad choice but that is the nature of addiction.

So out of curiosity. Are you only accepting that addiction can be physical or mental but not both? It is supremely confusing though that you both recognize and dismiss the notion of addiction to meds in the NFL. You're welcome to turn a blind eye to it but even the DEA could no longer turn a blind eye to it when Kevin Ellison was caught with 100 Vicodin pills way back in 2010.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
So out of curiosity. Are you only accepting that addiction can be physical or mental but not both? It is supremely confusing though that you both recognize and dismiss the notion of addiction to meds in the NFL. You're welcome to turn a blind eye to it but even the DEA could no longer turn a blind eye to it when Kevin Ellison was caught with 100 Vicodin pills way back in 2010.

Personally I say addiction has to have both the physical and the mental but with the emphasis on the physical (i.e., "internet addiction" is not an addiction, it's a lack of self control). I would like to see science start claiming things like SSRIs where you can't abruptly quit them because of the physical but they're not fun so nobody abuses them are addictive. Claiming fun = addiction is a dangerous puritanical road we've been on for too long. And as we see with the opioid addiction genes, someone else's addiction potential should not be applied to everyone.
Addiction is a confusing topic because you have so many snake oil salesmen changing the definition to fit whatever they're selling or propagandizing.

Until I see a study saying otherwise I'm going to assume addiction in the NFL is at the same low rate as everyone else. I do see where sports players are different than everyone else so I could see how their genetics are different but I wouldn't assume whether they are more or less prone to addiction.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Somebody been snorting his pain pills.

NorcalBear

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
I guess McDaniels knew what he was doing - about facing on Indy and the damaged goods.