OT: Autograph Discussion

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
That's not a selling price, that's from a non-certified source. Check out any number of athletes and what they are charging. Here's a good site:

https://www.csac.biz/

We are almost always the cheapest place to get an athletes auto

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
That's not a selling price, that's from a non-certified source. Check out any number of athletes and what they are charging. Here's a good site:

That's a certified autograph from Topps. It also has a book value of 10 bucks. You can run thru the BIN's and see you can get a Topps certified autograph for a whole lot cheaper then 20 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Hairs...0968915514?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item20d266f23a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Bowman...0351038846?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item5ae2bc297e
(That's a numbered, gold version. And still cheaper then 20 bucks)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-Bowman...0772797081?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item4d03985699
(PSA graded, POP 1 and still cheaper then 20 bucks)

That's not even counting all the trading sites or sites like Check out my cards that might even get you that card for under five bucks.If somebody wants a Hairston autograph, there are much cheaper methods to getting it with certified autographs from Topps, the biggest brand name in baseball cards, and his rookie card to boot.
Also, what other athletes charge is insignificant. We are talking about Scott Hairston. He isn't worth 20 bucks when you can get his autographed rookie card for a lot less.

Crust

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
You do know the difference between an in person auto and a non-in person one, right?

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Not only that, I'm sure brett has to pay people to appear at his shop for a signing. I would definitely go if I lived in the area.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And the difference on getting it on your memorabilia item, especially a Cub item, right?

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:

My bad, How I missed the topps certified is inexcusable. Still not an in person experience.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
You do know the difference between an in person auto and a non-in person one, right?

Sure I do. But I also know the difference between a meet and great and a conga line autograph experience where you hand somebody an item, they hand it to the signer, then he hands it to somebody else then hand it back to the person who paid for the ticket. Is it a meet and greet? Because if it is then you should be shilling that experience instead of bartering a 20 buck autograph ticket.

A meet and greet for 20 bucks where the person who pays for a ticket is an outrageous deal. Just getting a item signed from a mediocre player sure isn't. And even then, why the hassle when you can get his auto for 15 bucks cheaper online?

How many Topps products do you have in your store yet you didn't know Hairston has a certified autograph? Curious?

Crust

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Not only that, I'm sure brett has to pay people to appear at his shop for a signing. I would definitely go if I lived in the area.

Of course he has to pay them, they not gonna do it for free.

The issue is such a high price for a mediocre player when you can get a much better item from a known entity like Topps for much, much cheaper.

An in store signing COA is basically worthless. But a Topps certification retains its value because its Topps. If you really want to see Hairston, then by all means, pay that outlandish price. But if you just want his autograph, you can get it cheaper on FleaBay.

Crust

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
1) It's a hyrbid of the two, if you have ever been to our signing you would know that as many on this board already do.
2) I made a msitake and admitted it, but honestly probably a million different topps products from singles to sets to packs and boxes in the store.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
1) It's a hyrbid of the two, if you have ever been to our signing you would know that as many on this board already do.
And that's where you lose me. This isn't Willie Mays who is a notorious scrotum when it comes to autograph signings but is also trying to appease as many people as he can. This is Scott Hairston.

2) I made a msitake and admitted it, but honestly probably a million different topps products from singles to sets to packs and boxes in the store.
I know you made a mistake. You know it too, but considering you run a card shop and the only true baseball cards you have now and in the near future are exclusively Topps products outside of the draft pick sets and Flupper Dunk crap, you should have done your home work. Trying to hide the certified autographs out there already at a cheaper price looks kind of bush league.

Crust

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
And that's where you lose me. This isn't Willie Mays who is a notorious scrotum when it comes to autograph signings but is also trying to appease as many people as he can. This is Scott Hairston.

You are partly right here. He's a bad signer. He never though appeases anyone though. You are dead wrong there. Mays is a strcitly sign the item and sign the next item guy. He never looks up and addresses the client, let alone talk to them or take a picture with them.

I know you made a mistake. You know it too, but considering you run a card shop and the only true baseball cards you have now and in the near future are exclusively Topps products outside of the draft pick sets and Flupper Dunk crap, you should have done your home work. Trying to hide the certified autographs out there already at a cheaper price looks kind of bush league.

Crust

You clearly are not knowledgable here. There's Upper Deck and Panini that are doing quite well with the MLBPA products. Tristar does well as do some of the minor league items.

I can get auto's cheaper then in person as anyone can for every single athlete. It's the in person experience getting it signed on what you want (card, jersey, bat, ball, etc).

All I can say is come to one of our signings and see if you have the same opinion. There's always a first, you might be him/her.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
You are partly right here. He's a bad signer. He never though appeases anyone though. You are dead wrong there. Mays is a strcitly sign the item and sign the next item guy. He never looks up and addresses the client, let alone talk to them or take a picture with them.
Of course he will, at his price;
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24871

He isn't stupid and knows the reason why he is there, to move the line as quickly as he can. You cant blame the guy for putting his price on items he know will appreciate in value once it leaves is finger tips.

You clearly are not knowledgable here. There's Upper Deck and Panini that are doing quite well with the MLBPA products. Tristar does well as do some of the minor league items.
Draft Pick sets- Panini
UD-Flupper Dunk. Neither of which have MLB logo's and only have a PA license, meaning both are considered second rate knock offs. Its not just me who feels this way considering just this week Bowman came out and the biggest prizes in the rookie auto's were Buxton and Correa, both of whom had cards last year in their draft year and are less desirable considering they don't have them in their MLB uni's like Topps can. Sad but true. Not to mention UD is a dead company that swindled people one too many times and is a joke on account of it got caught counterfeiting gaming cards.

So not knowledgable? I did kind of know Hairston has a certified Topps auto, just sayin.
I can get auto's cheaper then in person as anyone can for every single athlete. It's the in person experience getting it signed on what you want (card, jersey, bat, ball, etc).
For 20 bucks? You would be better off giving away free autographs and hope the influx of people will suddenly bring more traffic to your store. That's just my opinion, obviously, but asking money for a player the caliber of Scott Hairston is pushing it when there are other avenues to attaining his autograph at a much cheaper price point. If you have high end, you use that traffic and steer them to those prized items. Chances are you have some high end products with guaranteed hits in each pack that blow away an in store experience with somebody the vlevel of Scott Hairston.
All I can say is come to one of our signings and see if you have the same opinion. There's always a first, you might be him/her.
Get somebody worth coming to spend money on and ill consider it.

Just asking, how much would you charge for say, Javier Baez? 100 bucks?

Crust

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Of course he will, at his price;
http://www.gameuseduniverse.com/vb_forum/showthread.php?t=24871

He isn't stupid and knows the reason why he is there, to move the line as quickly as he can. You cant blame the guy for putting his price on items he know will appreciate in value once it leaves is finger tips.
Read it and most of the stuff there was fabrication. Once paid, he'll sign what you purchased. It's not $299 for an autograph on your baseball unless Willie wants more. Willie gets his first whether 300 come out or just one. If 310 come out, he gets to "thumb his nose" at 301-310 as the contract limits it to 300 in this example.

Draft Pick sets- Panini
UD-Flupper Dunk. Neither of which have MLB logo's and only have a PA license, meaning both are considered second rate knock offs. Its not just me who feels this way considering just this week Bowman came out and the biggest prizes in the rookie auto's were Buxton and Correa, both of whom had cards last year in their draft year and are less desirable considering they don't have them in their MLB uni's like Topps can. Sad but true. Not to mention UD is a dead company that swindled people one too many times and is a joke on account of it got caught counterfeiting gaming cards.
Still in high demand. We sell them all the time and the money made on other avenues can be just as huge.

For 20 bucks? You would be better off giving away free autographs and hope the influx of people will suddenly bring more traffic to your store. That's just my opinion, obviously, but asking money for a player the caliber of Scott Hairston is pushing it when there are other avenues to attaining his autograph at a much cheaper price point.
You have yet to name one. You only named ways to settle, but not to get what you want which is an auto in person on your item.

If you have high end, you use that traffic and steer them to those prized items. Chances are you have some high end products with guaranteed hits in each pack that blow away an in store experience with somebody the vlevel of Scott Hairston.
For some it does and we have that. For most it's not even remotely close.

Get somebody worth coming to spend money on and ill consider it.
I'm not trying to sell to you. I know you are out. I'm just clearing up your fantasy story with reality is all.

Just asking, how much would you charge for say, Javier Baez? 100 bucks?
It depends on our costs of course. Considering he has an exclusive contract it would probably be pricey.

We've had guys like Rose, Noah, Urlacher, Castro, Jenks, Danks, etc, etc in. Many sell out. Again, you don't seem knowledgeable in this area at all. I'm willing to help if you truly want it.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Read it and most of the stuff there was fabrication. Once paid, he'll sign what you purchased. It's not $299 for an autograph on your baseball unless Willie wants more. Willie gets his first whether 300 come out or just one. If 310 come out, he gets to "thumb his nose" at 301-310 as the contract limits it to 300 in this example.
So basically what you are saying is every story is a lie unless it puts Willie Mays in a bad light? The great thing about Willie Mays is he is what he is. He doesn't play around and if you want a specific item signed he wants a bit more money considering he knows how much his signature is worth. He is there to sign autographs and that's exactly what he does. Everybody in the industry knows this going in, its not like he just pulls that shit out at the last second. He signs to his contract, um ok? He is also arguably the greatest baseball player in history still alive outside of Barry Bonds, He kind of earned the right to call his own shots.

Still in high demand. We sell them all the time and the money made on other avenues can be just as huge.
Its a cheaper product with minimal investment speculation once the Topps products come out, then it nose dives since having a true rookie card from Topps is the key card of any collection. Why, take Scott Hairstons certified rookie card as a prime example from the 02 BB set. His best card? check. Certified autograph with Topps name behind it? check. The card everybody will want if Hairston suddenly goes all Sammy Sosa and hits a ton of home runs in a short amount of time? check.

Byron Buxton 2012 EEE;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Elite-...1038577481?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item27d2b19349

Numbered to 50! at around 80 bucks with two hours left.

Buxton chrome auto 2013 not numbered;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-BOWMAN...1213809546?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item3cd18e6b8a

Don't get me started to how much a gold /50 Buxton would be going for, but a blue refractor aut numbered to 150;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Bowman...1226094590?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item33821a4ffe

Ouch. Does Panini sell? Sure it does...until Topps comes out.

You have yet to name one. You only named ways to settle, but not to get what you want which is an auto in person on your item.
No, I named a perfect solution to getting Hairstons autograph at a much cheaper price, FleaBay. And I can do that from the privacy of my own home without first off, waisting 20 bucks on a ticket, gas, and having to deal with the three or four people there who actually paid that amount of money for his autograph. This is Scott Hairston we are talking about. That's not much incentive to waste money for the sake of meeting a Cubs player in person.

For some it does and we have that. For most it's not even remotely close.
Most how? As in there is this grass roots collective underground Scott Hairston fan club that's just waiting, autograph tickets in hand, for his arrival into your card shop? Spare me the rhetoric. You came here to shill, I have no problem with that. You are shilling Hairston autographs for an outlandish amount when the right thing would be to give them away for free. That's my opinion. I understand the trading card industry and give you props for actually having a shop in this day and age when there are countless other avenues for accumulating sports memorabilia at a much cheaper price. You have high end products, yet for most its not remotely close that they can afford them, correct? So go charge 20 bucks for Scott Hairstons autograph? And maybe a handshake and a phone photo? Come on.

I'm not trying to sell to you. I know you are out. I'm just clearing up your fantasy story with reality is all.
And what fantasy story is that? 20 bucks is a lot for a Hairston autograph? Or you can get his autographed certified from Topps a whole lot cheaper? Enlighten me.

It depends on our costs of course. Considering he has an exclusive contract it would probably be pricey.
Fair enough. But you don't think asking 20 bucks for a mediocre MLB player isn't pricey?
We've had guys like Rose, Noah, Urlacher, Castro, Jenks, Danks, etc, etc in. Many sell out. Again, you don't seem knowledgeable in this area at all. I'm willing to help if you truly want it.
Actually I do know quite a bit about this stuff. I also know Hairston had a certified autograph from Topps that you tried to refute as unauthentic. So right now it kind of looks a bit fishy on your end trying to call others unknowledgable when you came here shilling an autograph signing yet not knowing the guy you have coming in already has an authentic auto out there that's a whole lot cheaper. Sure, you like to bring up the experience, good job. You also brought up all the other signers you had, wonderful. But its kind of an eyebrow raiser at just how defensive you got when a link to a certified auto came up. You, mentioned you will give a COA, what specifically is that worth? Is it better then Topps? What would you consider the market value of a Hairston flat with your COA is worth when a Topps rookie auto cant even sell for ten bucks? Is the IPhone pic worth more then that? Is it priceless on account of the experience? Then you wouldn't have even mentioned the COA. See how that works?

Tell me what I don't know, please do. Because I honestly think charging 20 bucks for Scott Hairstons autograph is a rather bogus amount. And if you need to pay such an outrageous fee to get him there then you should have just waited for somebody better to come along.

Dick Tidrow signs for free, ya know.

Crust

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I never seen someone get that defensive over the authenticity of cards. I know of 2 CCS people that went to Brett's shop and had a great time, got pictures and authentic autographs.

Don't go if you don't want to, but I think it's unfair to give Brett's store a bad name because he made a mistake.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lol man, you troll everybody Martini. Its his store, he could charge 300 dollars and if someone is willing to pay then he has every right.

KBIB

Liked Posts:
I never seen someone get that defensive over the authenticity of cards. I know of 2 CCS people that went to Brett's shop and had a great time, got pictures and authentic autographs.
Because authenticity of autographs is the end all when it comes to purchasing them. To say a Topps autograph isn't authentic, when 90% of any respectable card shops baseball cards are Topps is a pretty big mess up.
Don't go if you don't want to, but I think it's unfair to give Brett's store a bad name because he made a mistake.
I am not giving anybody a bad name nor is my opinion something that could. Its a message board. But to say an official Topps autograph isn't real when its Topps is kind of fishy. Its cheaper then 20 bucks. He should be marketing the meet and greet instead of the autograph.

Crust

KBIB

Liked Posts:
Lol man, you troll everybody Martini. Its his store, he could charge 300 dollars and if someone is willing to pay then he has every right.

Of course.

Doesn't mean somebody would pay for it tho. I have a hard time thinking somebody would pay 20 bucks.

Crust

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
A mistake, I admitted too. It's all he has though. He has nothing else to talk about legitimately.

The truth is we do not profit at all on the signings which is why we are almost always the low price leaders on our signers. We don't do levels as almost everyone does. We charge one low flat price period.

And to say I shill my auto signings here. I've had one of the owners of this site out to the shop to pick up an auto on me. Not a big gift at all. Just a nice geture as I really like the site. But yes, my 7500 or so posts are all shilling.

I just pass the info along. That's it.

And you advertising bowman auto's on a product that just came out. For shame on you. You seem to know better than that.