OT: Beasley Working On SG & PG Skills?

cool007

Liked Posts:
Beasley Working On Shooting Guard, Point Guard Drills

Michael Beasley's NBA position is still in the air, but it looks like it could be at small forward. Beasley was asked about his offseason workout regiment.

"I'm working on the things a shooting guard or a small forward would work on," said Beasley. "I do a lot of screen work, a lot of jump shots, and ball handling, a lot of stuff point guards do. I know I may never play the one or two, but I feel if I work on those skills, it will be harder to guard me. I do a lot of stuff that Chauncey Billups does. I think he's the best point guard in the NBA, especially coming off screens. Why not try to emulate that? I feel like if I can add that to my game, I will be a tougher matchup."

I have no idea if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

Like I was saying it before he was drafted and will say it again. He is a A. Jamison clone (with more athleticism).

Simeon2UC

Liked Posts:
Yup. He has that tweener syndrome. I knew he was going to back down from the big guys at the next level, this article just solidifies my notion.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
You mean Beasley's a combo guard? Let's trade Gordon for Beasley, because Beasley's the elusive 6'8" guard we've been looking for!

I think what this is, is Miami trying to make room for Chris Bosh/Amare Stoudemire in 2010 free agency. Beasley will have a Lebron like strength advantage at the small forward spot.

This is nothing new though. If you watch Beasley play he already has a ton of these skills. I think part of this is also from looking at the Magic's success with Turkoglu as a big point forward.

I think what Beasley should really be working on is his shot. Whenever I watched Beasley, it was just him missing a lot of open shots. His moves and touch around the basket are solid already.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
Wow could have seen this coming. Its sad that we see Zach Randolph in the post more than this kid. Everytime I saw him this season he was on the perimeter waiting for a J. Tyrus and Beasley make me sick.

RPK

Liked Posts:
There is no way in hell he's athletic enough to play the 3. Guys like James, Anthony, and Iguodala (hell, even our very own Luol Deng) would eat this guy for breakfast.

Pat Riley should have followed his gut and taken Mayo with the second pick.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
If Beasley is going to take advantage his wealth of talent he's going to have to move to the small forward position. He's never going to be more than a finesse player at the four, and adding bulk could compromise his perimeter skills. He's going to be a defensive liability where ever he plays, but at the four his mistakes will most likely cost the team buckets.

At the three Beasley could be closer to the player he was at K-State. He would have the ability to post up most small forwards, and still have the ability to play on the perimeter with his superior triple threat skill set. Now that he's working on his off the ball skills, it's only going to make him a tougher assignment for who ever is guarding him. I don't think there is much of downside to Beasley trying to expand his game.

cool007

Liked Posts:
I personally don't agree with it. I think he is better suited as a PF than a SF or even in the backcourt.

Yes, he has some of those SF skills where he can put the ball down and take someone to the hole and he can shoot with a good touch but that doesn't make him a SF (all around). He might do it on offense but other SFs would EAT HIM ALIVE. How is he going to guard players like LeBron/Melo/Butler/Howard/etc and even Deng. He is really like Jamison where they are better off at PF than SF as they can take full advatage of their skills on the big man. As they are quick enough for a PF and can take other big man outside to 3pt and take them to the hole with their quickness.

IMO, this will be like a Failed experiment like we did with Fizer. And just be a step-back for Beasley and it will set him back for a year or two in his development.

IMO, he should be working on his post moves or driving other bigs to the hole etc.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
cool007 wrote:
I personally don't agree with it. I think he is better suited as a PF than a SF or even in the backcourt.

Yes, he has some of those SF skills where he can put the ball down and take someone to the hole and he can shoot with a good touch but that doesn't make him a SF (all around). He might do it on offense but other SFs would EAT HIM ALIVE. How is he going to guard players like LeBron/Melo/Butler/Howard/etc and even Deng. He is really like Jamison where they are better off at PF than SF as they can take full advatage of their skills on the big man. As they are quick enough for a PF and can take other big man outside to 3pt and take them to the hole with their quickness.

IMO, this will be like a Failed experiment like we did with Fizer.

Agreed. Beasley is short, but his length is solid. Above that, the guy is strong. When I watched Beasley this year, the guy was not getting backed down in the post. He can play downlow defensively.

I think Beasley's maximum value is at the four, as he would be able to stretch the defense with his three point shooting and take nearly every power forward in the league off the dribble.

However, if signing Amare or Bosh is in the Heat's future plans, which I think it is, it might be necessary for Beasley to move to the three.

cool007

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
cool007 wrote:

IMO, this will be like a Failed experiment like we did with Fizer.

Agreed. Beasley is short, but his length is solid. Above that, the guy is strong. When I watched Beasley this year, the guy was not getting backed down in the post. He can play downlow defensively.

I think Beasley's maximum value is at the four, as he would be able to stretch the defense with his three point shooting and take nearly every power forward in the league off the dribble.

However, if signing Amare or Bosh is in the Heat's future plans, which I think it is, it might be necessary for Beasley to move to the three.

If they are moving Beasley to SF with the plan of bringing in Bosh or Amare or Boozer then they better trade Beasley for a legit 3rd option SF who can fit in well.

Can I say Luol Deng??? :laugh: :woohoo:

MADman24

Liked Posts:
I think this will contribute to his misuse by the Heat but it's not his fault for wanting to expand his game and for all we know the Heat want him to do this and judging by how they used him last year I wouldn't be surprised if it was their idea. But like most I view him as a PF with perimeter skills however I think he is simply too talented to not make an impact even if he was playing SF.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I say good for him for wanting to expand his game. Most likely though, he will be like Jamison, which isn't really a bad thing. He could play SF if he wanted to IMO, but probably would not be as effective.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
I say good for him for wanting to expand his game. Most likely though, he will be like Jamison, which isn't really a bad thing. He could play SF if he wanted to IMO, but probably would not be as effective.

Jamison plays like Shaq compared to Beasley.

sdeezy

Liked Posts:
Ball Handling and shooting arent his problem..the fact is he pretty slow and has subpar lateral quickness to defend the SF position. It would be blow-by city if the Heat decide to make him a full time SF.