OT - Chip Kelley = Pete Carroll

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just to provide some context Oregon was in violation of hiring an external scout (which is normal for big NCAA schools) and not accounting for him properly in their annual books. Because Kelly runs the program he is ultimately responsible, but this is more an administrative thing. For those that think Oregon was like USC look at the end punishments:

USC = vacate 2 wins of their championship season (2004), 2 seasons with no bowl games and 30 scholarships taken away over a 3 year span.
Oregon = 1 scholarship taken away over a 3 year span.

Granted I'm an Eagle fan, so I shaded towards Kelly, but this isn't an apples-to-apples comparison in terms of violations, so let's just keep some perspective people.

good point, I just thought that it was odd that Carroll and Kelley both departed right before sanctions came down

46bearsd

Lover and Fighter
Liked Posts:
Head coaches are often only one of the many involved in these types of violations. Wealthy boosters can often do all the damage on their own while the coach turns a blind eye. Other times the Head Coach is directly involved in negotiating the "deals" for recruits. I have no idea which end of the spectrum Kelly was on.

Look at the whole Fab 5 fiasco and the Michigan basketball punishment. They took the money from one booster - they called him' Big Money Ed'. Nothing severe happened to the players involved (except Chris webber wasn't allowed near campus for 10 years), or to big money ed. but the university got screwed over and for all we know had really no knowledge of it.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Look at the whole Fab 5 fiasco and the Michigan basketball punishment. They took the money from one booster - they called him' Big Money Ed'. Nothing severe happened to the players involved (except Chris webber wasn't allowed near campus for 10 years), or to big money ed. but the university got screwed over and for all we know had really no knowledge of it.

I like that the colleges are responsible. Where Michigan was offside is their were many telltail signs that a booster was present, but did nothing to investigate further. Personally I think college athletes should be paid. A few of my friends played college football, got hurt and unless they were making the team the next year they had to deal with whatever long term effects came with playing in the sport. For me the term 'student athlete' should be reserved for high school kids, not guys who have no intention of getting a degree and are solely focused on going pro.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
I like that the colleges are responsible. Where Michigan was offside is their were many telltail signs that a booster was present, but did nothing to investigate further. Personally I think college athletes should be paid. A few of my friends played college football, got hurt and unless they were making the team the next year they had to deal with whatever long term effects came with playing in the sport. For me the term 'student athlete' should be reserved for high school kids, not guys who have no intention of getting a degree and are solely focused on going pro.

They get compensated about 200,000$ assuming they stay at the university 4 years and graduate.

BBQb

Liked Posts:
It's a tough to argue either way. How many high school seniors would finance their own college education in hopes to become NFL draft bound someday? Nothing is guaranteed that they will excel at the college level and even get drafted and get paid. How many would play, study, go to classes and the weight room, while paying their way for 3-4-5 years (redshirt)? Tuition, books, food, etc. All the while knowing that if it doesn't work out that they still have a good chance at graduating from college? I don't think they are skipping out on meals with a scholarship. The demands to do all these things and excel on the football field can be a lot of pressure. Scholarships are similar to an equivalent of getting paid to play.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
They get compensated about 200,000$ assuming they stay at the university 4 years and graduate.
Define 'compensated'...

If you are talking about schlolarships that never amount to a degree of any kind then what kind of compensation is that? Now consider what the athlete is risking in terms of physical health and is it an equal employment offer or is it taking advantage of god given physical talent that not allowed to go pro.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It's a tough to argue either way. How many high school seniors would finance their own college education in hopes to become NFL draft bound someday? Nothing is guaranteed that they will excel at the college level and even get drafted and get paid. How many would play, study, go to classes and the weight room, while paying their way for 3-4-5 years (redshirt)? Tuition, books, food, etc. All the while knowing that if it doesn't work out that they still have a good chance at graduating from college? I don't think they are skipping out on meals with a scholarship. The demands to do all these things and excel on the football field can be a lot of pressure. Scholarships are similar to an equivalent of getting paid to play.

Why not have a hybrid program? Offer a money amount AND a manditory class load (so they are still students), but also give them a substantial discount on and other tuition fees they would like to pick up? Essentially everyone who plays football can get the GED diploma or have a discounted method of getting a real education.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:
Define 'compensated'...

If you are talking about schlolarships that never amount to a degree of any kind then what kind of compensation is that? Now consider what the athlete is risking in terms of physical health and is it an equal employment offer or is it taking advantage of god given physical talent that not allowed to go pro.

Whether or not they graduate is aside from the point. The university offers them the ability to receive that education, and that's a risk on the universities part as well. Also can you imagine the repercussions of handing an 18 year old a large quantity of money? The NFL and the NCAA have set in place rules to protect these kids and mandate they be a certain age to play in the NFL. It's been a wildly effective model. The athlete assumes the risks involved in playing a sport. They suffer the same risk in Highschool, what's to stop highschool compensation?

BBQb

Liked Posts:
Why not have a hybrid program? Offer a money amount AND a manditory class load (so they are still students), but also give them a substantial discount on and other tuition fees they would like to pick up? Essentially everyone who plays football can get the GED diploma or have a discounted method of getting a real education.

I see what you are saying. To a point I do agree. College football is a big business and universities compete for the best talented atheletes across the country. While a scholarship is very rewarding, there seems to be no middle ground. Many players are poor and while they are getting the rewards of a schollie, they are still dirt poor. Gas, movies, dates, bowling, some clothes, etc,...that stuff is not included. It's just a debate that can be looked at both ways and nothing gets changed.

Poppasmurf

Liked Posts:

Also, you're talking about taking out tax dollars and grants and money away from helping students in order to pay your athletes?

BBQb

Liked Posts:
I still think the scholarship is downplayed when it comes to mentioning of college student-athelets don't get paid or should get paid.