OT: Dak Turns Down $30mil/year

PrideisBears

Bully Mod
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think so much of this is contract talk is based on Dak's 2nd half to last season after the Cowboys acquired Amari Cooper. Prior to that, Dak and the Dallas offense had been dead in the water.

I guess in some sense I would be more comfortable giving big bucks to a QB who has shown he can excel with your current personnel like Dak, as opposed to something like the Vikings signing Kirk Cousins and hoping he succeeds with poor pass protection.

I don't know how to categorize Prescott...I didn't think he was as great as people said he was as a rookie, but I also don't think he's as useless as people said he was after that. He is kind of like an 'up-and-coming' Alex Smith...would you give Alex Smith a huge contract? Still a debatable question.

Alex Smith has now and days has been a placeholder for other QB's like Kaep, Maholmes and at a time where he has been at his best. I dont disagree with your statement I just always found that funny

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
My guess is the Cowboys see their window closing and offered him a lucrative but shorter deal.

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
I personally would have drafted a QB to replace Dak before this contract came up. It's the run game and Oline and Def that makes the Cowpies a playoff team. Dak is a non factor.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
QB contracts should not count against the cap.

If I were an NFL GM and I had a QB I was 100% committed to long term I'd:

A. Sign him to as long a deal as possible. Today's outrageous deal is frequently a bargain 5 years from now.
B. Include a "rebuilding year" into the deal at the end of the contract where the QB gets a higher than norm salary while the team sucks. Spread out the savings over the prior years while you're in that "Super Bowl window". Take the financial hit when your team sucks.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:

A. Sign him to as long a deal as possible. Today's outrageous deal is frequently a bargain 5 years from now.
B. Include a "rebuilding year" into the deal at the end of the contract where the QB gets a higher than norm salary while the team sucks. Spread out the savings over the prior years while you're in that "Super Bowl window". Take the financial hit when your team sucks.

What about C. 5th Year Team Option???

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

Jay Cutler

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I must have missed this conversation because you keep bringing this up and I have no idea what it means.

1st Round Rookies get a 5th year Team Option

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
we don't know what the gtd money was that he turned down...i'm assuming the gtd was not very high and considering he's been up and down. the players in texas should be grateful...no state income tax... thats another 3 mill he's saving in state income tax...

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
The money they offered Dak makes me wonder about the upcoming negotiations....does Jones know something about where he thinks this will wind up?

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Similarly, Visionman's football musings should not count against CCS/Nvanprooyen's First 50 Days.

Not really getting these responses to Visionman's post. The guy makes a rare good point (Trubisky isn't worth paying a blockbuster, team-crippling contact to unless he improves a lot) and he gets sarcasm in response.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not really getting these responses to Visionman's post. The guy makes a rare good point (Trubisky isn't worth paying a blockbuster, team-crippling contact to unless he improves a lot) and he gets sarcasm in response.

He stated the offense needs a little better than Chase Daniels to succeed....that has already been proven false......

Visionman

Liked Posts:
He stated the offense needs a little better than Chase Daniels to succeed....that has already been proven false......
I assume there have been comments on my post I don't see. Oh well.

Last year was everyone's first year in this offense. It was a work in progress, and was never fully installed last year. Plus, Nagy didn't have even close to the RBs he needed (still may not have the TEs).

With the defense we have, and the offensive weapons, the scheme is greater than the QB. Sure, if Trubs turns into a legit top QB, you pay him. But if he doesn't, paying him like a top QB will rip apart that defense, and probably a lot of the offense as well. All for a QB who needs those things to succeed? Pass...

When this offense is all on the same page, I do not think we will need a top QB for it to be successful, especially with keeping the defense fairly intact. It will be a bonus, but not required.

Bears_804

Liked Posts:
I assume there have been comments on my post I don't see. Oh well.

Last year was everyone's first year in this offense. It was a work in progress, and was never fully installed last year. Plus, Nagy didn't have even close to the RBs he needed (still may not have the TEs).

With the defense we have, and the offensive weapons, the scheme is greater than the QB. Sure, if Trubs turns into a legit top QB, you pay him. But if he doesn't, paying him like a top QB will rip apart that defense, and probably a lot of the offense as well. All for a QB who needs those things to succeed? Pass...

When this offense is all on the same page, I do not think we will need a top QB for it to be successful, especially with keeping the defense fairly intact. It will be a bonus, but not required.
I hear you, but in recent memory it's taken above average play from the QB as well as a top tier defense to win it all. The only time that didn't happen was when Manning was playing sub-par, and I think that's an outlier bc it's P. Manning...

Average QB play, let alone a little better than Chase Daniel isn't going to cut it when you're playing the Patriots or say the Chiefs in a Super Bowl.

I agree Trubisky (right now) is not worth a contract extension of that magnitude (or any at this point), but I'd counter the QB play remark with the above.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I hear you, but in recent memory it's taken above average play from the QB as well as a top tier defense to win it all. The only time that didn't happen was when Manning was playing sub-par, and I think that's an outlier bc it's P. Manning...

Average QB play, let alone a little better than Chase Daniel isn't going to cut it when you're playing the Patriots or say the Chiefs in a Super Bowl.

I agree Trubisky (right now) is not worth a contract extension of that magnitude (or any at this point), but I'd counter the QB play remark with the above.
I guess we'll agree to disagree on this. It is hard to win a Superbowl, period. But I think your chances go down significantly when you overpay your QB, especially in tjis inflated market. IMO, your chances are much better building a solid team, andeither having a solid journeyman QB, or hit on a rookie before they ask for the moon...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yeah...his arm was shot but you are still talking about a top 5 NFL coach being on the field in Manning. Manning his last 2-3 years was like if Trubisky got hurt...Daniels got squashed by a DT the next game, and then Tyler Bray sucked...and somehow through NFL rules the Bears were like...well Nagy has been through draft so he is eligible to sign...and then we signed Nagy and played with Nagy...

That would be the equivalant of Payton Manning running your team that year with the exception that Manning > Nagy and is a first ballot HOF unanimous member. So that will explain the discrepancy for us since Nagy actually has a better arm right now today than Manning had his last 2-3 years. He still Ain't a coach on the field level of Peyton Manning talking audibles in chinese and using his knowledge of tonal languages and the Navaho word (a tonal language like the Mandarin Peyton speaks)

the reason he says the Navaho word

"omaha...is because its a tonal tongue, and you can actually pronounce it 7 different ways. So if you decode Dolphin language for a living and playback the Omaha I bet you there are about 3-7 variations on the same word, that are subtle and only picked up by his o-line that practiced it.

That is a little known fact between Manning's Mandarin lessons and his choice of the word "Omaha" from the tonal Navaho language. Nobody talks about that but Rask...there you go.