OT - Darrell Bevell Fired As OC Of SEA After 7 Seasons

Milton Waddams

Liked Posts:
Not too long ago this guy was one of the top head coaching candidates.

Bevell Fired

The Seattle Seahawks have parted ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after seven seasons, sources tell PFT.

Bevell was told of the decision Tuesday night according to a source informed of the decision. The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since Bevell’s first year in Seattle in 2011.

Despite Russell Wilson leading the league in touchdown passes, Seattle’s offense struggled to find consistency all season. Wilson was the team’s leading rusher as Seattle’s structured rushing attack was ineffective for most of the season. The Seahawks ranked 23rd in rushing overall, but 586 of their 1,629 rushing yards came from Wilson. Over 400 of those yards by Wilson came on scrambles.

The Seahawks had some of their most offensively prolific seasons in franchise history under Bevell. They led the league in rushing in 2014 and were in the top five in rushing offense in four of Bevell’s seven seasons in Seattle.

However, the rushing offense fell apart in 2017 and the final play of Super Bowl XLIX cast a large shadow on Bevell as well, despite head coach Pete Carroll saying repeatedly the decision to throw from the 1-yard line was his call.

It will be the first coordinator change of Seattle’s own doing since Jeremy Bates was fired as offensive coordinator after one season with Carroll in 2010. Bevell replaced Bates in the job for the 2011 season. Dan Quinn and Gus Bradley both left their defensive coordinator positions with Seattle to take head coaching jobs with Atlanta and Jacksonville, respectively.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Not too long ago this guy was one of the top head coaching candidates.

Bevell Fired

The Seattle Seahawks have parted ways with offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell after seven seasons, sources tell PFT.

Bevell was told of the decision Tuesday night according to a source informed of the decision. The Seahawks missed the playoffs for the first time since Bevell’s first year in Seattle in 2011.

Despite Russell Wilson leading the league in touchdown passes, Seattle’s offense struggled to find consistency all season. Wilson was the team’s leading rusher as Seattle’s structured rushing attack was ineffective for most of the season. The Seahawks ranked 23rd in rushing overall, but 586 of their 1,629 rushing yards came from Wilson. Over 400 of those yards by Wilson came on scrambles.

The Seahawks had some of their most offensively prolific seasons in franchise history under Bevell. They led the league in rushing in 2014 and were in the top five in rushing offense in four of Bevell’s seven seasons in Seattle.

However, the rushing offense fell apart in 2017 and the final play of Super Bowl XLIX cast a large shadow on Bevell as well, despite head coach Pete Carroll saying repeatedly the decision to throw from the 1-yard line was his call.

It will be the first coordinator change of Seattle’s own doing since Jeremy Bates was fired as offensive coordinator after one season with Carroll in 2010. Bevell replaced Bates in the job for the 2011 season. Dan Quinn and Gus Bradley both left their defensive coordinator positions with Seattle to take head coaching jobs with Atlanta and Jacksonville, respectively.

Their offensive line has been absolute shit for years and they don't have a good RB. It finally caught up to them. I thought he did a terrific job with Wilson and especially all of their mediocre WR's over performing.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I like him he knows how to get people open let's get it done.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Naggy is calling his own plays we aren’t going after a significant oc

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If he doesn’t want to call plays I am very interested.

A ton of playcalling experience, developed Russell Wilson, and his quite approach may be a nice compliment to nagy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Could be but Wilson was a rare bird that didn't need a ton of development. Had he been taller, he'd have gone early with a unique ability to be a scrambler that preferred a pocket and was accurate at both. It's not like he was some undiscovered diamond in the rough that Seattle took great risk with.

This hire will be interesting and I'd certainly consider bevell in the mix. If we don't hire soon, don't be surprised if DeFilippo gets the spot. Makes you wonder if this was part of Paces HC interview process with him and Fangio. Feeling out, fall backs and starting a rapport for future considerations.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Our OC won't be someone established....my guess it will be an up and comer/QB guru

TL1961

Liked Posts:
The Bears will not be bringing in a big name OC. It will be someone who has been a qb coach or similar. Nagy will call plays. OC will be first timer.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
The Bears will not be bringing in a big name OC. It will be someone who has been a qb coach or similar. Nagy will call plays. OC will be first timer.

Pederson brought in 2 guys that used to call plays, Andy Ried did with Brad Childress, not sure why it would be out of the question

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pederson brought in 2 guys that used to call plays, Andy Ried did with Brad Childress, not sure why it would be out of the question

Andy Reid has that kind of pull to get someone who has been their before.

With Nagy I imagine if they can get a like minded previous OC, it may work. However, I think they will want someone who is specifically going to work with Trubisky and be a mentor/guru.....

I'd really like Flip for that.......

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

With Nagy I imagine if they can get a like minded previous OC, it may work. However, I think they will want someone who is specifically going to work with Trubisky and be a mentor/guru.....

I'm glad you said that because he's been an OC and called plays in the past so thought you had excluded him.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Our OC won't be someone established....my guess it will be an up and comer/QB guru

I hope Nagy brings Eric Bieniemy with him as OC. He has an impressive track record with backs and with Nagy on board calling plays he can double as the QB guru.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers

If Flip came to the Bears as OC and Trubisky made a big jump, his stock would be through the damn roof. He'd get whatever coaching job he wants in '19. I'd be good with that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
For a HC with limited playing experience, getting a guy like Bevell would be a coup. Not to mention I think Wilson's game suits Trubs.

I know people assume Nagy will call his own plays but what happens if it becomes too much. Not every HC can can balance being HC and calling plays as even Andy Reid realized it becomes too much at time.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:

I think flip would be great as well as OC.. Nagy can tell him he can give him limited playcalling ability as well like what Reid did with him. That way we get a few years of helping develop Trubisky and if he gets plucked for a HC job thats what Flip wants and he will need OC/Playcalling experience to do that.. Our offence wont change for Trubisky because Nagy is the primary playcalling/OC anyway.. win win

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The other good thing with Bevell is it appears he might be one of those guys that isn't seen as a HC candidate despite having a good track record as OC. So he could be in the position as OC for a few years unlike a guy like Flip who probably is gone after a couple years of success.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hope Nagy brings Eric Bieniemy with him as OC. He has an impressive track record with backs and with Nagy on board calling plays he can double as the QB guru.

I think Bieniemy is going to be OC in KC