Aquineas

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Look at the Eagles' 2022 Draft Picks:
Philadelphia Eagles 2022 Draft Picks
First Round –
No. 15 overall
First Round – No. 18 overall (*From New Orleans Trade)
Second Round – No. 51 overall
Third Round – No. 83 overall
Third Round – No. 101 overall (*From New Orleans Trade)
Fourth Round – No. 124 overall
Fifth Round – No. 154 overall
Fifth Round – No. 162 overall
Fifth Round – No. 166 overall
Seventh Round – No. 237 overall (*From New Orleans Trade)

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Eagles are in a fabulous position.

They are set up to build a nice team around Hurts and see if he's the real deal next season. If not, they have the capitol to make a move and get another QB while keeping the team they built mostly in place.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Feels like there is becoming a clear line between contenders and pretenders. Kind of like the NBA. Teams that know they can compete for a ring are saying "screw draft picks, get me players to get me over the top". Teams that know they aren't winning rings in 2022 are adding draft picks by any means possible. Be interesting to see if this continues thru the trade deadline. If you're a good player, beyond your rookie deal and on a non-contender, you're probably getting traded.

That being said, IDK what the hell New Orleans is doing here. This is a purgatory move by them. Eagles are definitely building, but could also make the playoffs again.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Curious how a GM comes up with something so extravagant then actually pitches it to another. This one's quiet the case of tradesees.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Curious how a GM comes up with something so extravagant then actually pitches it to another. This one's quiet the case of tradesees.

Because Philly had 3 1sts this year, I think they were probably actively shopping one of them. Maybe they were just calling a bunch of teams and gave it away to the highest bidder.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That trade is perfectly fine for the Saints IMO. They get an extra first rounder now and only had to give up a 3rd this year. The 1st in 2023 and 2nd in 2024 are basically worth a 2nd and 3rd in today's terms.

Looks like a win win to me.

napo55

Liked Posts:
So how does a team like the Bears sitting with a second rate roster and no first or fourth round picks compete with teams like the Eagles that will be able to infuse the team with quality talent? Than you Mr. Pace.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
So how does a team like the Bears sitting with a second rate roster and no first or fourth round picks compete with teams like the Eagles that will be able to infuse the team with quality talent? Than you Mr. Pace.
They don’t and likely never will!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Simple if Fields > Hurts then that goes a long way in closing any talent gap. It still comes down largely to QB play.

baredown

Liked Posts:
Lets see, the Saints are sitting there with a new HC, and Winston & Dalton at QB. Not exactly a lot to be optimistic about for the 2022 season. Vegas projects they'll finish in the bottom half of the teams this coming year. Yet they risk a 2023 first rounder of unknown value (possibly high...), and throw in 2024 second rounder to boot, just to get a mid-first rounder in this draft. Hmmmmm. Why? Just to repeat, Winston & Dalton are their QBs right now. Maybe the Saints are VERY interested in one of the QBs in this draft, and are acquiring the draft capital to potentially move up and get the guy. This move smells a little like step 1, with more to follow...

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Feels like there is becoming a clear line between contenders and pretenders. Kind of like the NBA. Teams that know they can compete for a ring are saying "screw draft picks, get me players to get me over the top". Teams that know they aren't winning rings in 2022 are adding draft picks by any means possible. Be interesting to see if this continues thru the trade deadline. If you're a good player, beyond your rookie deal and on a non-contender, you're probably getting traded.

That being said, IDK what the hell New Orleans is doing here. This is a purgatory move by them. Eagles are definitely building, but could also make the playoffs again.
Yeah then Cincinnati makes the Super Bowl. You don't tank in the NFL, it doesn't work. The same shitty teams are picking at the top of the draft every year, more or less.

napo55

Liked Posts:
Simple if Fields > Hurts then that goes a long way in closing any talent gap. It still comes down largely to QB play.
That's true. But having one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL puts Fields at a big disadvantage. (not to mention an offensive line with huge question marks.)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's true. But having one of the worst receiving groups in the NFL puts Fields at a big disadvantage. (not to mention an offensive line with huge question marks.)

Good thing there is still 4+ months before the season starts. I also assume you meant compete long term and not just next year which means they have 100+ million next year to acquire players.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Smart teams make moves to get better, but how many times have we seen a team absolutely dominate the off season by picking up a Star at a position of need, and draft at the top of the draft, just to fall flat on their face during the regular season.

The Bears are in a bad position, because they have simply missed on too many draft picks and Free agents, and more often than not will finish somewhere in the middle of the pack, putting them in a limbo during the draft where they are really at the mercy of half the teams in the League.

The one thing I do have to give them credit for recently is trying to get a QB. Trubisky was not a #2 pick in any draft, but at least they committed to finding one, and then again going after Fields when it was obvious that Trubisky was not going to carry the team under Nagy (yes Nagy was an issue)

That leads to another issue, coaching since Lovie Smith left has been nothing short of a failure.

I see the latest HC hire as very Lovie like, so I hope we get back to those days of have a defense that is respected, and maybe we finally find a OC or two that can elevate the offense.

We don't have the type of team that a good coach can take over the top, but hopefully in a year or two, by building from the trenches out, we can get back to a Superbowl

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
That trade is perfectly fine for the Saints IMO. They get an extra first rounder now and only had to give up a 3rd this year. The 1st in 2023 and 2nd in 2024 are basically worth a 2nd and 3rd in today's terms.

What?

Only on this site is a 1st round pick ‘basically worth a second rounder’ because it’s not here and now because attention spans longer than a goldfish and patience are foreign concepts to most fans.

I’m not aware of any stipulation that causes a 1st rounder to lose potential of a 5th year option teams recently have coveted (except Ryan Pace) unless the team denies it.

And a 2nd round pick is *checks notes* still a 2nd round pick, even though it’s not this year. It doesn’t magically turn into a 3rd round pick and like this year—there’s gonna be plenty of prospects to speculate what that extra 2nd could be.

If Philly hits, which they clearly won this deal, the saints are going to look especially stupid.

I can only assume NO is going for broke this year with Hill on the contract he is. If he sucks again, his guaranteed $$$ will be paid and NO can shed his contract and start new—with no 1st, but that won’t be Micky Loomis’ problem.

Meanwhile, unless he does something stupid or chooses to retire early, Howie Roseman isn’t going anywhere.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

There is no guarantee the player they are targeting will be there when they pick. So it’s not a win unless they get the guy they want

SpinachTeeth

Liked Posts:
What?

Only on this site is a 1st round pick ‘basically worth a second rounder’ because it’s not here and now because attention spans longer than a goldfish and patience are foreign concepts to most fans.

I’m not aware of any stipulation that causes a 1st rounder to lose potential of a 5th year option teams recently have coveted (except Ryan Pace) unless the team denies it.

And a 2nd round pick is *checks notes* still a 2nd round pick, even though it’s not this year. It doesn’t magically turn into a 3rd round pick and like this year—there’s gonna be plenty of prospects to speculate what that extra 2nd could be.

If Philly hits, which they clearly won this deal, the saints are going to look especially stupid.

I can only assume NO is going for broke this year with Hill on the contract he is. If he sucks again, his guaranteed $$$ will be paid and NO can shed his contract and start new—with no 1st, but that won’t be Micky Loomis’ problem.

Meanwhile, unless he does something stupid or chooses to retire early, Howie Roseman isn’t going anywhere.

He’s actually right. In league circles and in value calculators if it’s a future pick it goes down in value by approximately a round. So a second round pick in 2023 is worth a first round pick in 2024, etc.

Probably related to the concept of earlier development, but you’ll generally see the same concept spoken about frequently.

I understand as a fan it’s completely different bc we value the name of the first round pick. But from a GM perspective, would you ever trade a 1st rounder for a 1st rounder a year later (or as an extreme example, 5 years later) straight up and call it even value?