onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Speaking of rap...anyone remember the "Body Count" album?

94SupraTT

Spoilers!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I am at work and doing this as i mulit task. lets see..managing a 2 million dollar NETAPP order with JPMC or check my spelling on CCS. hmmmmm

You aren't the only one multitasking. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say my job when it comes to importance is a bit higher on the food chain THAN yours. When the tornadoes swept through the southeast in 2011 I was still federally mandated to report. The city did not have power, gas, or cell service. My job has generators, satellite based internet (fall back system), backup a/c units, biometrically controlled access. Before you ask, no I do not work in a hospital. I work in the IT field. It does not influence my grammar.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think a great example is the song little weapon by Lupe Fiasco. It's basically about gun violence and how kids are trained and brainwashed from a young age to be terrorists in some of these other countries. What does the record label do? Sells the song to the trailer of GI Joe. LOL, it's basically used to advertise what Lupe is against.

Haha I remember seeing that. They also sold Lupe's "Put you On Game" song which described how the game fast lifestyle of shit black culture to a drug pin movie.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL Rap is the worst music on the planet..well second..anything Yoko Ono does. lets start off that all rappers cant sing becuase if they could thye wouldnt be rapping. second they cant play instruments becuase they are lazy. third they use successful music and then rap over it. finally there lyrics are laughable. they make up words so they rhyme. lyrical genius lol. give me a break. how about rap live..omg worst then watching todd collins play

You are judging a musical genre based on ideas and notions that come from another musical genre which makes little sense.

1. Rap music was never about singing. It was about taken the spoken word or chanting that has a long history in black art forms and combining it with music. Complaining that Rappers don't sing is like me complaining that Handel's Messiah sucks because the lyrics are terrible. Well duh, classical music is not about the lyrics.

2. The genre was never about live instrumentation mainly in part because instruments are expensive and most rap artists didn't have the disposable income to buy instruments but mostly because most black people didn't really care if the backing music was played by the rapper. Why? Because the main event is the spoken word not the music. Your complaint would be like me complaining that Bohemian Rhapsody sucks ass because it is just Freddie Mercury rambling on about non-sensical bullshit. I don't because I understand that for most rock music the main event is not really the lyrics but the music.

3. The complexity of the rhyme schemes in rap far outweighs anything in any other musical genre period. Because once again, if you are honest with yourself, rock music is less concerned with lyrics as it is with the music. Not to mention some of the classic rock songs are basically about nothing and its the music that creates the mood or vibe. Even someone like Bob Dylan pretty much just rhymed the last word of a line.

In the end it is about personal preference so it is perfectly fine that you prefer live instruments and listen to music mostly for the music. The only thing I find odd is your gripe about lyrics as if rock music is filled with lyrical geniuses when the reality is 99% of rock is just basic words strung together in the most simplistic way.

Camden Cutler

Black Boy Fly
Liked Posts:
lyric wise

biggie > pac

big is a better pure rapper than pac but pac is the better overall artist

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
LOL Rap is the worst music on the planet..well second..anything Yoko Ono does. lets start off that all rappers cant sing becuase if they could thye wouldnt be rapping. second they cant play instruments becuase they are lazy. third they use successful music and then rap over it. finally there lyrics are laughable. they make up words so they rhyme. lyrical genius lol. give me a break. how about rap live..omg worst then watching todd collins play

1) Rap music has never been about singing

2) Some Rappers can play instruments like Andre 3000 but because they all can't that makes them lazy? Not all country singers play instruments, nor pop musicians.

3) Most producers do take samples of songs but they mainly make an entire new song out of it

4) The rap music they play on mainstream is bad but like most of us you should broaden your horizon

Rush

Fuck it, Go Deep
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Carolina Hurricanes
  1. Duke Blue Devils
Reading this last page is very confusing. Several different topics...none football or Cooper related lol

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Reading this last page is very confusing. Several different topics...none football or Cooper related lol

Yeah, it's almost as if Coopers racist comments that could ultimately ruin his career actually spawned a meaningful conversation on passed rap greats and cultural ties into the hip hop world.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
You are judging a musical genre based on ideas and notions that come from another musical genre which makes little sense.

1. Rap music was never about singing. It was about taken the spoken word or chanting that has a long history in black art forms and combining it with music. Complaining that Rappers don't sing is like me complaining that Handel's Messiah sucks because the lyrics are terrible. Well duh, classical music is not about the lyrics.

2. The genre was never about live instrumentation mainly in part because instruments are expensive and most rap artists didn't have the disposable income to buy instruments but mostly because most black people didn't really care if the backing music was played by the rapper. Why? Because the main event is the spoken word not the music. Your complaint would be like me complaining that Bohemian Rhapsody sucks ass because it is just Freddie Mercury rambling on about non-sensical bullshit. I don't because I understand that for most rock music the main event is not really the lyrics but the music.

3. The complexity of the rhyme schemes in rap far outweighs anything in any other musical genre period. Because once again, if you are honest with yourself, rock music is less concerned with lyrics as it is with the music. Not to mention some of the classic rock songs are basically about nothing and its the music that creates the mood or vibe. Even someone like Bob Dylan pretty much just rhymed the last word of a line.

In the end it is about personal preference so it is perfectly fine that you prefer live instruments and listen to music mostly for the music. The only thing I find odd is your gripe about lyrics as if rock music is filled with lyrical geniuses when the reality is 99% of rock is just basic words strung together in the most simplistic way.

lol you cant compare Freddie mercury becuase he was in every way a better performer, singer and song writter than any rap artist. im also glad you brouht up queen becuase Brian May was so poor he had to build his on guitar out of used pieces of furniture and other items. also rock now days is very basic 3 chord music. Musicians have gotten lazy in general.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild

Obviously has never been a musician

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
lol you cant compare Freddie mercury becuase he was in every way a better performer, singer and song writter than any rap artist. im also glad you brouht up queen becuase Brian May was so poor he had to build his on guitar out of used pieces of furniture and other items. also rock now days is very basic 3 chord music. Musicians have gotten lazy in general.

Give me a song that you think best expresses this lyrical genius.

Bearfanfromnewjersey

Liked Posts:
innuendo

While the sun hangs in the sky and the desert has sand
While the waves crash in the sea and meet the land
While there's a wind and the stars and the rainbow
Till the mountains crumble into the plain

Oh yes we'll keep on tryin', tread that fine line
Oh we'll keep on tryin', yeah, just passing our time

While we live according to race, color or creed
While we rule by blind madness and pure greed
Our lives dictated by tradition, superstition, false religion
Through the cons, and on and on

Oh yes we'll keep on tryin', we'll tread that fine line
Oh oh we'll keep on tryin', till the end of time, till the end of time
Through the sorrow, all through our splendor
Don't take offense at my innuendo

You can be anything you want to be
Just turn yourself into anything you think that you could
Ever be be free with your tempo be free, be free
Surrender your ego be free, be free to yourself

If there's a God or any kind of justice under the sky
If there's a point, if there's a reason to live or die
If there's an answer to the questions we feel bound to ask
Show yourself, destroy our fears, release your mask

Oh yes we'll keep on trying, hey tread that fine line
Yeah, we'll keep on smiling, yeah
Yeah, yeah and whatever will be, will be
We'll keep on trying, we'll just keep on trying
Till the end of time, till the end of time, till the end of time

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Obviously has never been a musician

I play drums actually. Has nothing to do with me. Has to do with various of the early rap pioneers discussing this over the years as to why they opted for sampling. Trying to find and PAY 4 or 5 guys with good enough instruments is costly and time consuming not to mention they are only ever going to be in the background because rap is not like rock and roll where the guitarist or drummer can make a name for himself ala Robert Plant. Rock is about the team. Rap is about the individual rapper or emcee.

BNB

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  2. Oakland Raiders
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

What?

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I play drums actually. Has nothing to do with me. Has to do with various of the early rap pioneers discussing this over the years as to why they opted for sampling. Trying to find and PAY 4 or 5 guys with good enough instruments is costly and time consuming not to mention they are only ever going to be in the background because rap is not like rock and roll where the guitarist or drummer can make a name for himself ala Robert Plant. Rock is about the team. Rap is about the individual rapper or emcee.

Missed the point...AGAIN!

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I like Pink Floyd, Lynyrd Skynyrd, The Doors, Marshall Tucker, The Outlaws, The Beatles, The Eagles, Allman Brothers, and Jimi Hendrix.