OT: Football/Sports Parents are ridiculous

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I will say, however, that we have been fortunate. I know their are horror stories about parents, and I have seen plenty on video to know they aren't made up. But we have not been subject to much, if any, of this in our league to this point.

My daughter, with an arm still in a brace, and wrapped in an ace bandage, was intentionally tripped during the post game "handshake" once....which stunk. But the opposing coach made every kid on his team come over and apologize.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I have twin 16 yr olds and coached baseball and basketball, so this all very familiar. The key is to let the kids guide you on what they want to play and at what level. My sons are very good athletes, but never desired to play at a travel level. Too many parents use their children as a status symbol. It's almost comical to hear parents talk about "poor" pre-high school coaching costing there kids a shot at a college/pro opportunity, or to go to the gym and see 7 yr olds with a personal trainer. The local travel baseball team took a 1/4 of the rec league kids a few years ago when it started. There aren't that many elite athletic kids, it's just a money grab on starry-eyed parents. Now, as high school students, my sons are involved in athletics, but are always telling me about their friends dislike for the sports that they are forced to play. All this for the next great competition, college resume!!! Yeee-Frickin-Haaaaw

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I have twin 16 yr olds and coached baseball and basketball, so this all very familiar. The key is to let the kids guide you on what they want to play and at what level. My sons are very good athletes, but never desired to play at a travel level. Too many parents use their children as a status symbol. It's almost comical to hear parents talk about "poor" pre-high school coaching costing there kids a shot at a college/pro opportunity, or to go to the gym and see 7 yr olds with a personal trainer. The local travel baseball team took a 1/4 of the rec league kids a few years ago when it started. There aren't that many elite athletic kids, it's just a money grab on starry-eyed parents. Now, as high school students, my sons are involved in athletics, but are always telling me about their friends dislike for the sports that they are forced to play. All this for the next great competition, college resume!!! Yeee-Frickin-Haaaaw
To me, it's always seemed that travel baseball is nothing more than an opportunity for parents to make names for themselves. There seems to be new travel baseball clubs popping up all over the south suburban area (not sure what it's like for you in Florida). It always seems to be the parent of the 12th kid on the roster, unhappy about the lack of playing time for his kid (which, I begrudgingly admit is frustrating when you're paying $1500) who wants to be a big shot and starts his own travel club. I'm 31, so it's not too long ago that I was in little league, but I can't remember there ever being that many travel teams. Our travel team in town was always the all-star team from the in-house league.

A guy I ref youth football with said it best, "too much college, not enough kindergarten" for a lot of these parents.

I don't have kids, nor am I married, but I just can't imagine I'd ever push a child of mine like some parents do these days. If they were to show a genuine passion for something like wklink's kid seems to do it'd be different. I just can't see allowing a child of mine to focus solely on one thing at a young age - with the exception of academics.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
To me, it's always seemed that travel baseball is nothing more than an opportunity for parents to make names for themselves. There seems to be new travel baseball clubs popping up all over the south suburban area (not sure what it's like for you in Florida). It always seems to be the parent of the 12th kid on the roster, unhappy about the lack of playing time for his kid (which, I begrudgingly admit is frustrating when you're paying $1500) who wants to be a big shot and starts his own travel club. I'm 31, so it's not too long ago that I was in little league, but I can't remember there ever being that many travel teams. Our travel team in town was always the all-star team from the in-house league.

A guy I ref youth football with said it best, "too much college, not enough kindergarten" for a lot of these parents.

I don't have kids, nor am I married, but I just can't imagine I'd ever push a child of mine like some parents do these days. If they were to show a genuine passion for something like wklink's kid seems to do it'd be different. I just can't see allowing a child of mine to focus solely on one thing at a young age - with the exception of academics.
I thought the travel league was a bit much too but my daughter wanted to do it. 1 of the other basketball teams she played on had taken a trip to Fordham U to meet and see their team play a game and the coach of that team had recommended a specific travel team in our area to us so she got excited about that. It's nothing I plan on getting the others involved in though.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I thought the travel league was a bit much too but my daughter wanted to do it. 1 of the other basketball teams she played on had taken a trip to Fordham U to meet and see their team play a game and the coach of that team had recommended a specific travel team in our area to us so she got excited about that. It's nothing I plan on getting the others involved in though.
Well that's kind of what I mean. If your daughter wants to do it and has a passion for it, then I say go for it. It's an extra benefit if the recommendation comes from a coach.

On a side note: reffing these youth games and even freshman level I'm seeing numbers are down. I foresee travel/AAU - whatever you want to call it happening soon in football. Once that happens, say goodbye.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What's crazy is high school sports are getting nuts. My boys don't play football, but their friends do, and their entire summer is football practice. Even in times that are off limit to coaches, senior players run player"camps" that need to be attended and the varsity basketball coach has made student government off limits if you want to play for him. Wouldn't want education to get in the way of his practices.