OT - It's gunna be a FA bloodbath!

jtreal3

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm fascinated to see what happens with Jones. Tom Brady is still playing at an elite level but he wasn't the same Tom Brady we know now when he came into the league.

This Tom Brady is somehow still close to his physical peak but combined with 20 years of elite football knowledge and processing ability.

Would Brady even be given the time to become Brady today if he came into the league in 2021? This league might have given up on him before he ever even reached that point.
I hope you aren't hinting at Mitch

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The first wave of premium players will get paid then market reality will set in. The problem is FA won't be deep for need positions like OT so we won't benefit where we need it most.

Might get a few guys back for a year like Gipson, Urban, Edwards and Ifedi.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I was listening to an Eagles podcast, but has two NFL insiders being Adam Caplan and Geoff Mosher.

They didn't provide details, but said they heard from multiple sources that there are going to be a lot of releases hitting this week as teams try to get under the cap ahead of free agency.

It makes sense considering the cap dropped, but I'm wondering how this impacts teams for the 2021 season? I'm thinking as supply of FAs grow wile teams cap space is used up some teams with cap space will be able to get very talented players on extremely discounted deals.

I know the Bears (and my Eagles) are up against the cap, so probably not in the ideal situation to capitalize, but overall I think some of the names being cut will surprise.

Yeah teams with salary cap space are gonna be able to get some really good players at really good prices. Some will want those 3-4-5 year contracts but some of the big names will probably bet on themselves making it through next year healthy and sign one year deals or 2 years with the 2nd year being a player option and try to get the bag when this Covid is gone which will hopefully be before next year is even over but it damn sure doesn't look good.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
lot of 1 year deals this year

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Chiefs just released both their tackles, Eric Fischer and Mitchell Schwartz.

I could imagine Andy Reid calling Mahomes: So, I know it's a little outside the box, but do you think you can replicate your Superbowl performance for a full season?

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
I have a feeling the coming bloodbath won't feature nearly the kind of talent people are expecting. The Saints are in the true depths of salary cap hell, but the guys they are going to cut to escape it aren't really that tantalizing. Malcoln Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Kwon Alexander, Latavius Murray...even Marshon Lattimore has never really regained the form he had his rookie year. If they part with Ryan Ramczyk or Terron Armstead then its an entirely different story, but the Saints are not stupid those guys are going nowhere.

Just one team, but I think it might be a telling example. Teams wont cut elite talents at premium positions.
Wrong again

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
The premise of the OP is pretty interesting. I actually think the Bears are in a pretty good spot, in an odd way. Teams are going to maximize draft picks this year. Trading back is going to be hard, because GMs are more likely going to go after quantity to replace all the FAs they lose instead of necessarily going quality. I expect the top guys to still be valued very highly, but I think you can see a very slow market for non-stud players like we've seen in baseball the last few years.

I say the Bears are in a good spot because they seem to be one of the few teams that is willing to trade draft picks and push salary into the future. And if they are able to pull off Wilson, the Bucs just put out the blueprint of a team able to lure value FAs in pursuit of a ring. I think if the Bears get Wilson, the market matches well with a team that is going to need to add cheap vet pieces in lieu of early draft picks.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
The premise of the OP is pretty interesting. I actually think the Bears are in a pretty good spot, in an odd way. Teams are going to maximize draft picks this year. Trading back is going to be hard, because GMs are more likely going to go after quantity to replace all the FAs they lose instead of necessarily going quality. I expect the top guys to still be valued very highly, but I think you can see a very slow market for non-stud players like we've seen in baseball the last few years.

I say the Bears are in a good spot because they seem to be one of the few teams that is willing to trade draft picks and push salary into the future. And if they are able to pull off Wilson, the Bucs just put out the blueprint of a team able to lure value FAs in pursuit of a ring. I think if the Bears get Wilson, the market matches well with a team that is going to need to add cheap vet pieces in lieu of early draft picks.
I understand the enormity of the salary ramifications for the Seahawks, but this is why the Bears would want to push to get a deal done before FA starts.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The bloodbath isn't really materializing. Its guys like Kyle Van Noy, Kevin Zeitler, John Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Riley Reiff, etc. The two tackles Kansas City cut were pretty much forgone conclusions because they were so beat up. There's some intriguing names that are available but nothing crazy. Maybe there will be another wave but so far, underwhelming.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I have a feeling the coming bloodbath won't feature nearly the kind of talent people are expecting. The Saints are in the true depths of salary cap hell, but the guys they are going to cut to escape it aren't really that tantalizing. Malcoln Brown, Janoris Jenkins, Kwon Alexander, Latavius Murray...even Marshon Lattimore has never really regained the form he had his rookie year. If they part with Ryan Ramczyk or Terron Armstead then its an entirely different story, but the Saints are not stupid those guys are going nowhere.

Just one team, but I think it might be a telling example. Teams wont cut elite talents at premium positions.
You easily have the best parody account on here. Well played sir