Donator
Liked Posts:
per every one

Sent from My Iphone 6 Plus Using Tapatalk

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
you guys should be cheering about this. the ones who wanted better not cheer though. i dont want to see any hypocrit esque posts

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
At $18 mil+ a season I am fine with him on the padres. I was only really interested if he fell like a rock a la Garza. I've said for awhile now that FA isn't really solving the cubs issue even with Lester. It's my belief you make a move for someone like Strasburg even if it costs you prospects with the obvious assumption being you have a verbal agreement for an extension in place prior to the trade.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
you guys should be cheering about this. the ones who wanted better not cheer though. i dont want to see any hypocrit esque posts

I wanted him, but knew the Padres were by far the favorite. His homer rate may drop but he is going to give up a fuck ton of doubles with that OF.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I wanted him, but knew the Padres were by far the favorite. His homer rate may drop but he is going to give up a fuck ton of doubles with that OF.

4 years with an option for a 5th. I wanted him at a bargain price/term. Good luck to the Padres.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Boooooooooooooooo, wrong choice James. :p

Looks like Shields going with his home town team. Now he's the enemy. Nice job by the Cubs making a run at him though, and nice job sticking to your guns and not throwing him a crazy contract.

Moving on!

#GoCubs :cubs:

Last edited by a moderator:

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
At $18 mil+ a season I am fine with him on the padres. I was only really interested if he fell like a rock a la Garza. I've said for awhile now that FA isn't really solving the cubs issue even with Lester. It's my belief you make a move for someone like Strasburg even if it costs you prospects with the obvious assumption being you have a verbal agreement for an extension in place prior to the trade.

If I'm a pitcher I don't do that in today's market, unless I'm old. Shield's misjudged his market but still got 4 years and an option. That being said if Strasburg us available in a trade next year I'm all for exploring that. I'd like to take a look at some younger guys too for instance what would it take to get Sonny Gray or Noah Syndergaard? If Arietta pitches like we think he can this year the Cubs are going have to decide what to do with him as well as he'll get huge money. The $35 million per pitcher is coming, probably not in 2016, maybe not in 2017 but soon and is like to have a staff in place before then.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I wanted him only on a deal with a low overall total $.

I would pay him more per year, but only for 1 or 2, which he wouldn't take.

If the Cubs decided his price had dropped low enough they could get him and not alter their plan to acquire the real second ace next year, I was for it. I was not in favor of adding Shields now, and having it hurt the chances of getting Zimmerman, Price, Grienke, etc. But I know the Cubs' management is too smart to have allowed that, so I wasn't worried they would acquire him in lieu of those others.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Looking over the Padres roster. Yeah they have some names but they dont look like a team that going to really contend much, especially against the dodgers and giants..

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Looking over the Padres roster. Yeah they have some names but they dont look like a team that going to really contend much, especially against the dodgers and giants..

I think the Padres are built somewhat like the Cubs used to do it. Some older guys who are big names, but not at their peak. They do have Andrew Cashner and Wil Myers, so they're no told everywhere, but much like past Cub teams, they have some pieces that will make their fans cross their fingers.

I think their offseason looks better than their season actually will.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I think the Padres are built somewhat like the Cubs used to do it. Some older guys who are big names, but not at their peak. They do have Andrew Cashner and Wil Myers, so they're no told everywhere, but much like past Cub teams, they have some pieces that will make their fans cross their fingers.

I think their offseason looks better than their season actually will.

Pads are relevant now. They added 2 core hitters with 2 potential hitters this off season. That have a stable ToR and a young one in Cashner. Pen is strong. That team is set up to challenge for a wild card now.

I did not want to see the Cubs to commit to Shields because of 3 reasons.

1. Price
2. Cueto
3. Zimmerman

Enough said.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
Pads are relevant now. They added 2 core hitters with 2 potential hitters this off season. That have a stable ToR and a young one in Cashner. Pen is strong. That team is set up to challenge for a wild card now.

I did not want to see the Cubs to commit to Shields because of 3 reasons.

1. Price
2. Cueto
3. Zimmerman

Enough said.

Deep down I don't think they'll sign any of those guys. Don't forget that Arrieta could break the bank after the 2016 season. I don't think they'll leave any rock unturned looking for pitching so I'm sure they will target some of next year's free agent class but I think the money will be too high and they'll try very hard to find younger, cheaper options first. How they do in the coming season will tell a lot of this tale.

Then again if they had signed Shields their 2015 payroll would have been $132 million when just two motnhs ago it was reported that they wouldn't go a dime over $100 mil. Maybe the numbers are creeping up higher than anyone though in terms of budget. Something to think about anyway.

beardown28

That's What She Said
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of glad the Cubs didn't get him (not that I really thought they were going to anyway). At this point, I think I'd rather stick with the young guys in the rotation and see what the Cubs have. I know a lot of Cub fans are jumping on the 2015 bandwagon but right now I just don't see the Cubs getting to the WS. Heck, I think they'll be fighting to stay in the wildcard race. But then again, I'm just trying to keep a realistic view of things.

TC in Mississippi

CCS Staff
Liked Posts:
I'm kind of glad the Cubs didn't get him (not that I really thought they were going to anyway). At this point, I think I'd rather stick with the young guys in the rotation and see what the Cubs have. I know a lot of Cub fans are jumping on the 2015 bandwagon but right now I just don't see the Cubs getting to the WS. Heck, I think they'll be fighting to stay in the wildcard race. But then again, I'm just trying to keep a realistic view of things.

World Series in 2015? Not a chance, I mean this is baseball after all and anything can and does happen but I don't see it. I see this as a team that if they can have a plus .500 April could easily be 5 or 6 games over .500 in July and look for a favorable deal. That could lead them right into the Wild Card race or, if something odd happens, maybe the Divisional race but kids have to learn how to crawl before they walk. 3rd in the Division, 2nd if their lucky.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Cubs offered shield 3 yrs at 60 mil with a vesting option for a 4th ..

Padres got him for 4 / 75 with an opt out for yr 5

Extra year and pitching in California was difference

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would have been OK signing him to a 2 year deal! No way would I have been on board with 4 years, and thankfully, neither were Theo or Hoyer.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

the giants will be bad this year. padres are probably a wild card competing team. just because they have veterans and arent doing it the cubs way doesnt mean it wont work out for them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
the giants will be bad this year. padres are probably a wild card competing team. just because they have veterans and arent doing it the cubs way doesnt mean it wont work out for them.

cubs way ? where did I mention anything about the cubs ? I simply said looking at their roster they don't look like a team that could contend, especially with the giants and dodgers in their division...

how are the giants worse ? they only lost Panda.. they still have the pitching and everyone else returning from last year...

I didn't say they would suck, I just said it going to be tough for them to contend with the giants and dodgers because looking at their roster they look like a team that going to hang around and compete but not have enough to hang in and contend all year...

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Meh. Not a lot of emotion either way for me on this one. If the Cubs got him I would have been happy, but I don't mind the fact that he didn't. Happy for the Padres and their fans. Finally fielding a team worth getting excited about

Liked Posts:

Trolls are gonna troll. He didn't even mention the Cubs.

So sad.