OT- Josh Gordon failed another drug test

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:
Even if they offered it, from the sounds of it, he would have refused it. And they can't make him have a babysitter.

Guess as someone said previously, can't change someone unless they want to change.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well you are definitely not going to be able to help someone when they understand you really have no concern for their actual well being which is why the NFL shouldn't be involved in stuff like this unless they are you know sincere in their desire to help. There is nothing in their current policies that would suggest they are.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Ok so explain to me what you were trying to say with that statement. Obviously if people felt the NFL was trying to help then they wouldn't be bitching so it sure read to me like you were implying this was the NFL trying to help and people are bitching despite them trying to help.

No, I said people bitch about the NFL trying to be in players lives, i.e. tell them what they can or can't drink or smoke. And some of those same people would bitch if/when troubled players needed help and the NFL didn't step in to help.

In others words: stay out of my life, I don't need your help to live my life, unless I need help, then help me with my life.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
Well you are definitely not going to be able to help someone when they understand you really have no concern for their actual well being which is why the NFL shouldn't be involved in stuff like this unless they are you know sincere in their desire to help. There is nothing in their current policies that would suggest they are.

Lol, does it matter what the motives to help are, if they are offering help? Far as I know the NFL doesn't tell people how/where to seek help.

That's like a charity saying, listen we will take your money if you really want to help, but if your are giving us money just so you can have a tax write-off, then keep your money.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No, I said people bitch about the NFL trying to be in players lives, i.e. tell them what they can or can't drink or smoke. And some of those same people would bitch if/when troubled players needed help and the NFL didn't step in to help.

In others words: stay out of my life, I don't need your help to live my life, unless I need help, then help me with my life.

That is how society works in general dude. Why would someone want someone to interfere in their lives if they didn't need the help or if they are successful? The issue like with anything in society is the form and substance of that help and the sincerity of the people offering said help.

Like in what profession or avenue of life do you routinely see successful people accepting the interference of others in their lives? It's illogical.

Lol, does it matter what the motives to help are, if they are offering help? Far as I know the NFL doesn't tell people how/where to seek help.

That's like a charity saying, listen we will take your money if you really want to help, but if your are giving us money just so you can have a tax write-off, then keep your money.

Your analogy makes no sense. In the scenario above, the charity getting money helps them no matter the intention. My contention from the start is that what the NFL is doing is not helping the player.

Explain to me how suspending a guy without pay for a year is helping him? Again, losing a job is one of the main reasons people abuse drugs and alcohol.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
That is how society works in general dude. Why would someone want someone to interfere in their lives if they didn't need the help or if they are successful? The issue like with anything in society is the form and substance of that help and the sincerity of the people offering said help.

Like in what profession or avenue of life do you routinely see successful people accepting the interference of others in their lives? It's illogical.

This comment made no sense concerning the topic, but I'm just going to nod my head and agree.

Monster

Liked Posts:
If I'm the owner I'm thinking this...

This fucker... we paid him an absolute shit load of money and now I lose him for a year...
OK... test him for everything... if he fails we can dump his ass so this doesn't happen again... breach of contract...
And we don't have to pay his sorry ass...

OK.... What good WR are we looking at in college next year... we have cap space...

It's a business... nothing more... and the players are property

Newblood

Liked Posts:
If I'm the owner I'm thinking this...

This fucker... we paid him an absolute shit load of money and now I lose him for a year...
OK... test him for everything... if he fails we can dump his ass so this doesn't happen again... breach of contract...
And we don't have to pay his sorry ass...

OK.... What good WR are we looking at in college next year... we have cap space...

Didnt he already have substance issues when he signed his last contract? If so, I would have to imagine there is already a substance abuse clause in his current contract.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

And therein lies the rub. When the players use that argument in contract negotiations and the like, they get the disdain of fans. It seems it is only a business when the owners and team benefit. Otherwise, the property is suppose to feel like the team and fans are their family.

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing that all the people that think its okay for the NFL to punish their players for consuming alcohol probably wouldn't be okay if their bosses suddenly gave them a random breathalizer test in the morning and then fired them for having any liquor in their system. Double standard.

The amount of money that Gordon makes is irrelevant to the principle here. I'm sure some accountants at PWC make millions and they still aren't tested for alcohol.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
I'm guessing that all the people that think its okay for the NFL to punish their players for consuming alcohol probably wouldn't be okay if their bosses suddenly gave them a random breathalizer test in the morning and then fired them for having any liquor in their system. Double standard.

The amount of money that Gordon makes is irrelevant to the principle here. I'm sure some accountants at PWC make millions and they still aren't tested for alcohol.

Stupid arguement. Gordon knew the rules when he signed his NFL contract, they didn't change the rules on him. And if in a job interview they told me, I had to subject myself to a breathalyzer every morning or else I would be terminated, and I agree to it, then it would be my own fault for being fired for not complying

hckypro19ja

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How Special person are people in this thread? Why are you all talking about marijuana when the article clearly says he tested positive for ALCOHOL? Last I checked alcohol DOES NOT equal pot. And I don't know any employers that suspend their employees for consuming alcohol. Even the Catholic Church allows their priests to drink.

Seems like you are the Special person, if you would read you would see that he is in Stage Three of an alcohol program in regards to his DUI that got him in trouble early in his career. This stage states that he can be tested for alcohol up to two years and can be punished as his employer deems necessary. With millions of dollars at stake, I do not blame the NFL for taking these measures as they are doing their best to protect their investment. No where does it say ever NFL player can not drink alcohol, this is simply in response to him already having alcohol related issues.

Shantz My Pants

Liked Posts:

What?!? The guy has been suspended twice now for using illegal substances. He entered the NFLs substance abuse program, which prohibits consuming alcohol, and then proceeds to test positive for alcohol use. It's not a double standard nor is your analogy correct.

Here's a better analogy:

Youre a truck driver for a living and get a dui in your personal time. The court reduces the charges as long as you enter treatment and your employers knowing how good you are at your job allow you to keep it as long as you do random tests for illegal substance and alcohol use. After going on an all night binger after your nephews barmixtzfah (shit got crazy), later that week your employer asks you to take a urine test and you fail. Now you're suspended/fired from your job.

Sent from my Texas Instrument Calculator

JoSeCuERvO

CBMB Crossover
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Orlando City SC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Miami Hurricanes
If this makes Cleveland trade up for a WR and give us their 2 1's i say thank you Josh as i bong hit. ..

Oh shit did i just turn this into a trace down thread?

JimJohnson

Liked Posts:
What?!? The guy has been suspended twice now for using illegal substances.

And they can test for those. Alcohol isn't illegal. If JG's parole officer wants to test him, fine. Employers need to stay the fuck out of someone's private life.

Newblood

Liked Posts:
And they can test for those. Alcohol isn't illegal. If JG's parole officer wants to test him, fine. Employers need to stay the fuck out of someone's private life.

Well that's not how life works, so wake the fuck up.