OT: Lions Considering Jim Caldwell

optimus prime

Liked Posts:
Add former Colts head coach Jim Caldwell to the list of names mentioned in connection with the Detroit Lions’ head coaching vacancy.

Caldwell, currently the Ravens’ offensive coordinator, is thought to be on the Lions’ list, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

The pros for Caldwell in Detroit are easy to see. For starters, his experience as an assistant is with coaching quarterbacks and receivers, and coordinating pass-first offenses, and the Lions want a coach who can take Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson and turn them into the focal points of a high-scoring offense. There’s also the fact that Caldwell has been the head coach of a team that got to the Super Bowl in Indianapolis, and a high-ranking assistant on Super Bowl-winning teams with both the Colts and the Ravens. He has experience with winning teams.

But the problem is that Caldwell hasn’t yet shown that he can be a successful head coach without a great quarterback already in place. When Caldwell had Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010, he went 14-2 and 10-6. But when Caldwell lost Manning to a neck injury in 2011, his team collapsed to 2-14. The Lions don’t need a coach who can win with a fully formed franchise quarterback like Manning. The Lions need a coach who can take Stafford and turn him from what he is now (a talented but error-prone passer) into a franchise quarterback.

The Lions would love to find a coach who can make Stafford look like Manning. The question about Caldwell as a potential coach of the Lions is whether Manning became the quarterback he is because of Caldwell’s coaching, or whether Caldwell was just lucky enough to get hired by a team that had Peyton Manning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/31/report-lions-considering-jim-caldwell/

this has to be a joke, all their candiates are terrible so far. caldwell was shit as the colts coach, and the ravens offense was terrible this year

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
It doesn't really make sense, with the players on their roster you think they could get top candidates.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Caldwell? Really?

I'm telling you. Some of these people shouldn't even be interviewed. You gotta go with someone that has that it factor. You have to take the risk. Your already taking one by hiring a new coach. Go with someone who understands modern football. It's all X's and O's but there's always one that understands it. I feel some just hire guys like Caldwell and Frazier, and etc cause of prior success. You need a coach that is in every play. Look at Sean payton, Trestman, bellichek, tomlin. Those guys are always in every play. Always part of it. Talking to player and not dumbfounded. Caldwell, dumb look on the sidelines, Frazier, dumb look on the sidelines, etc. like there just hoping for the best to play out and when it doesn't, they don't do nothing and stick with the same plan and expect a better result. I don't know man. Just talking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

Ralpf

Liked Posts:
No, I have only driven past it.

I'm telling you. Some of these people shouldn't even be interviewed. You gotta go with someone that has that it factor. You have to take the risk. Your already taking one by hiring a new coach. Go with someone who understands modern football. It's all X's and O's but there's always one that understands it. I feel some just hire guys like Caldwell and Frazier, and etc cause of prior success. You need a coach that is in every play. Look at Sean payton, Trestman, bellichek, tomlin. Those guys are always in every play. Always part of it. Talking to player and not dumbfounded. Caldwell, dumb look on the sidelines, Frazier, dumb look on the sidelines, etc. like there just hoping for the best to play out and when it doesn't, they don't do nothing and stick with the same plan and expect a better result. I don't know man. Just talking out loud.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk Pro

It was always my impression Caldwell was the Head Coach in Indy because he knew to stay out of Payton's way. That doesn't work when you don't have a QB of that caliber, and when it comes to running an offense and having everyone where they need to be from the QB position I don't think anyone is in Payton's class.

Not to say Caldwell is useless, but I don't think he has real head coaching experience on the offensive side of the ball, which is what he specialty is. I don't think I would consider him.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
And I hear they love the idea as Shoop for the OC

Sent from somewhere somehow

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Caldwell seems like a decent choice. The knock about not being able to coach without a franchise QB is pretty dumb. He went from Peyton Manning to Curtis Painter. That's like saying a guy can't coach because they had Caleb Hanie starting as a QB.

Ari Bear

Hall of Famer
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lovie Smith will be the Lions next coach.

KittiesKorner

CCS Donator
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Who AREN'T the Lions considering?

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rooney rule, they have no interest in Caldwell.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Add former Colts head coach Jim Caldwell to the list of names mentioned in connection with the Detroit Lions’ head coaching vacancy.

Caldwell, currently the Ravens’ offensive coordinator, is thought to be on the Lions’ list, according to Mark Maske of the Washington Post.

The pros for Caldwell in Detroit are easy to see. For starters, his experience as an assistant is with coaching quarterbacks and receivers, and coordinating pass-first offenses, and the Lions want a coach who can take Matthew Stafford and Calvin Johnson and turn them into the focal points of a high-scoring offense. There’s also the fact that Caldwell has been the head coach of a team that got to the Super Bowl in Indianapolis, and a high-ranking assistant on Super Bowl-winning teams with both the Colts and the Ravens. He has experience with winning teams.

But the problem is that Caldwell hasn’t yet shown that he can be a successful head coach without a great quarterback already in place. When Caldwell had Peyton Manning in 2009 and 2010, he went 14-2 and 10-6. But when Caldwell lost Manning to a neck injury in 2011, his team collapsed to 2-14. The Lions don’t need a coach who can win with a fully formed franchise quarterback like Manning. The Lions need a coach who can take Stafford and turn him from what he is now (a talented but error-prone passer) into a franchise quarterback.

The Lions would love to find a coach who can make Stafford look like Manning. The question about Caldwell as a potential coach of the Lions is whether Manning became the quarterback he is because of Caldwell’s coaching, or whether Caldwell was just lucky enough to get hired by a team that had Peyton Manning.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/31/report-lions-considering-jim-caldwell/

this has to be a joke, all their candiates are terrible so far. caldwell was shit as the colts coach, and the ravens offense was terrible this year

They want a coach who will make Stafford and Megatron the focal point of the offense?

Weren't they already?

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rooney rule, they have no interest in Caldwell.

How do you know that? He has been to a SB as coach and got to another as play caller and OC, why isn't he as good a candidate as Jeff Fisher or John Fox?

marines1

Liked Posts:
Lions are looking at everyone nothing wrong with that.

the Bears did the same thing last year