OT - Lovie Wasn't TB's First Choice, Wanted Cowher Or Gruden

Monk

I hate acronyms
Donator
Liked Posts:
The guys he promoted to head the current scouting department were his equals and Co-workers from Emerys time as a Scout for the bears.

That's true for Kevin Turks and Dwayne Joseph, may be others in there as well. The latter of which wasn't still on the Bears when Emery showed up. He was working for Miami.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Hiring people you've worked with before is different than hiring good friends IMO. I certainly don't know if Emery is good friends with any of these people but it's possible. When it comes to the most important position underneath your own, I would say it's a good idea to hire someone you can get along well with but have no problem firing if need be. That's my opinion on hiring friends any way. Especially for multimillion dollar jobs.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
That's just stupid then. I have plenty of co-workers I am friends with that I have to evaluate their performance. Furthermore, the NFL as a whole is built on friendships and contacts. What Coach or GM doesn't hire friends they have built up over the years?
Yeah, not really.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I am pretty sure the Glazers are making the decision and not Lovie. The Glazers are not potentially bringing in Dungy because Lovie likes him. Thay are potentially bringing in Dungy because he was the coach that got the Bucs dynasty going. This whole Bucs reunion seems to be driven by the Glazers not Lovie.

Furthermore, from the sounds of the article I thought they were talking more about a consultant role, team president or vice president, and not necessarily one related to talent acquisition or football operations hence the term upper management as opposed to GM. Finally, Lovie has control over the final 53 man roster according to the report and not actually in who gets drafted or signed as a FA.

So you seem to have your Lovie panties in a bunch over stuff that is nothing more than speculation right now.
You seem to want to paint my opinions as skewed by some Lovie hate. I actually,as Modo said, don't care what Lovie does, it's just down time discussion, and there is a subset of posters on here that want to classify any suggestion of a Lovie weakness(past,present,or future) as some sort of hatred.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
doesn't mean it's a good thing. Too much following each other around. Best is to have someone whose opinion you respect but with a different take to bring more perspective to decision making.
sniffers.jpg

Which has nothing to do with being friends. I have friends who are complete opposites of me when it comes to decision making. And I have coworkers who I am not necessarily friends with who think a lot like me.

The fact of the matter is Dungy is to Lovie what Emery is to Trestman IMO. The friends bit doesn't matter so much as they are kindred spirits philosophically in many ways. Doesn't matter if they were friends before being hired or not.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You seem to want to paint my opinions as skewed by some Lovie hate. I actually,as Modo said, don't care what Lovie does, it's just down time discussion, and there is a subset of posters on here that want to classify any suggestion of a Lovie weakness(past,present,or future) as some sort of hatred.

I am not painting your opinions as skewed. I am telling you they are skewed because you jumped straight to Lovie being at fault when more than enough evidence exists that the Glazer's are driving this.

Like do you think Lovie mind controlled the Glazer's to leak all this speculation about a Tampa Bay reunion before he was even hired for the job? Is he responsible for Global Warming as well?

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Is he responsible for Global Warming as well?
Again, any suggestion that Lovie has influence on what would seem an unwise path is met with hyperbolic nonsense. I guess we will all see how it works out in a year or 2.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Again, any suggestion that Lovie has influence on what would seem an unwise path is met with hyperbolic nonsense. I guess we will all see how it works out in a year or 2.

You weren't suggesting he had influence. You were flat out saying it was all his decision.

WTF are you talking about? We are not talking hiring assistants that know the system that is going to be in place. When have you ever seen a newly hired NFL coach allowed to pick his boss, choose possibly his best buddy as that boss, and have veto power over that boss.

If the Bears were doing this, this board would have gone nuclear.

The bold is hyperbolic non-sense. The Glazers want a Tampa Bay reunion. They hired Lovie and are rumored to be interested in several former Tampa Bay coaches and execs. Somehow, you have turned that into Lovie being granted the power to pick his own boss, picking his best buddy, and having veto power over that boss.

At this point, I wonder where Lovie was when JFK was assassinated.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
You weren't suggesting he had influence. You were flat out saying it was all his decision.

The bold is hyperbolic non-sense. The Glazers want a Tampa Bay reunion. They hired Lovie and are rumored to be interested in several former Tampa Bay coaches and execs. Somehow, you have turned that into Lovie being granted the power to pick his own boss, picking his best buddy, and having veto power over that boss.

At this point, I wonder where Lovie was when JFK was assassinated.
The articles suggesting a Tampa reunion mentioned McKay and Lovie. Only now is Dungy being mentioned, after Lovie is in town. Will they allow him to pick his GM, we will see. And my original post suggested "the hire" was ill advised, I didn't start discussing how bad it would be if Lovie was guiding it until BF51 suggested every NFL hire is buddy buddy and since Lovie is in place the only scenario that would fit his suggestion would be Lovie being responsible for Dungy's hire.

Does Lovie have absolute unfettered control on the GM hire, probably not, but by placing a head coach in position with ultimate personnel power prior to the GM, he will have, at minimum, a large influence on who is there or who is even interested in the job. Realistically they may have a hard time enticing anyone, other than a Lovie buddy, to take such a neutered position. But again it is what it is, I'm not a Tampa fan. I guess I sort of get Sparty and Mick now and how they feel about those that get all bent at any critique of JC.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
No one got bent. You took speculative reports and interpreted them in ways I thought made it obvious you have a bias when it comes to Lovie and I said so.

If all you had said was that Lovie appears to have a lot of influence then I would not have said anything. That is not what you said. You exaggerated things in my opinion which is why I employed hyperbole in my response to you.