OT: Mayfield Signs

YoungPA

Liked Posts:
I'm not a NFL contract guru but if the Bears decide to trade out of #1 overall, is this a comp for a Justin Fields extenstion? After 5th year option...

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I'm not a NFL contract guru but if the Bears decide to trade out of #1 overall, is this a comp for a Justin Fields extenstion? After 5th year option...
It might be lower if they can get it done this summer.

Xplosive

In the Land of the Blind the One Eyed Fan Is Neggd
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
Better than using Daniel Jones trash contract as the comp

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
What a roller coaster ride for Baker. Went from supposedly turning down a long term 30 mil a yr contract with the Browns, to bouncing around on the open market for less than 4 mil a year, to now signing a 33 mil a yr contract.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
What a roller coaster ride for Baker. Went from supposedly turning down a long term 30 mil a yr contract with the Browns, to bouncing around on the open market for less than 4 mil a year, to now signing a 33 mil a yr contract.
I guess this is the reality that a QB must face. The gap in talent is great enough, that the ones that give you hope while having yet to achieve sustained success are handsomely rewarded.

The question in Chi becomes - should the team continue with Fields, is this the expected contract he'd sign? I'd have to say that $33M per year at QB, while nothing to sneeze at, only puts a team in a bad position when they are overcommitted already.

Congrats to Mayfield, you got some new money and have a secure job for a while!

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
The reality is, you ain’t winning a SB with a mid QB.

Outside of the very few flyers over the last 2 decades, you need a top level QB to win.

Never winning a SB but still got paid:
Mayfield
Carr
Cousins
Jones
Prescott
Goff
Murray
Watson