OT - NFL Salary Cap Theory

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I wanted to post something that relates to all the QB movement talk, so it is Bears related, but not directly related to your team.

We've been told the estimated salary cap is ~$176MM. This represents a material drop from the 2020 salary cap of $198.2MM.

Add in if you follow overthecap.com or spotrac.com there are anywhere between 14 -15 teams with negative cap space, which typically means teams aren't that active and spend more time restructuring their own deals. The opposite has been happening. It's setting up for the craziest QB frenzy despite those moves having a negative cap impact on almost all teams. It has me feeling like:

giphy.gif

Here's my theory - The NFL and NFLPA are going to allow dead cap space with respect to COVID/lowering of the cap. I actually think some typically cap savvy teams have been planning around this. The NFLPA would allow it because it means more $ available for new contracts. The NFL teams would want it because a bunch of them are already in the red and have a long way to go.

Anyway, it's just a thought. This type of 'cap allowance' would let teams cut bait with their current 'QB marriage' and chase the next shiny thing.

To make this Bears relevant, this would open up cutting Nick Foles. Most of the people on the board have just assumed he'd be on the roster because his cap number is $6,666,666, but if you cut him his cap number increases by $3,666,668 to $10,333,334. He's more cap expensive to cut, so logically it won't happen. If cutting him all of a sudden frees up money then it becomes a viable option,

BTW, Why would anyone have a salary cap number of all 6's? Who plans for that? WFT Pace? Is he one of those devil worshipers Q used to tell us about?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This is why all the people whining about the cap and getting someone like Watson don't know what they're talking about.

Teams like the Saints and Rams can make big moves with seemingly 0 cap space.

Teams like the Rams can be good and still trade away 7 first rounders

Montucky

Liked Posts:
The Rams really are a gassed-up version of the Bears. They almost blew the playoffs this year.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
And were in the SB recently. Dont see an issue with what they're doing. The GM likes to trade draft picks for proven commidities
Well the first guy they traded away a bunch of first round picks for has just been dumped on the Lions (along with a bunch more picks). The engine of their Super Bowl team was ironically a bunch of first rounders. Todd Gurley, Brandin Cooks, Aaron Donald, Ndamukong Suh, Dante Fowler, the list goes on. Even Robert Woods and Lamarcus Joyner were drafted very highly in the second round.

So while the Rams seem to not believe in the value of first round draft picks they sure seem to build their team around guys drafted in the first round.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
This is why all the people whining about the cap and getting someone like Watson don't know what they're talking about.

There’s always room. The Chiefs have something like $120 million annually for FIVE players. They seem to be doing all right.

Notice that they’re not just like, “Welp, we’ve got our quarterback. We can stop now.”

No, they give big money to Hill, Kelce, and Watkins. Frank Clark only costs a first rounder? Don’t mind if they do. Honey Badger on the market? Bring him in here. Give Mahomes $500 million? No problem, Hoss.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The Rams just gave up a 1st round pick for a team to take a bad contract off their hands. That is a direct impact of the cap.

The cap isn’t going to be 176. It is going to be close to 190,

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The Rams just gave up a 1st round pick for a team to take a bad contract off their hands. That is a direct impact of the cap.

Direct impact of wanting to upgrade at the QB position and doing so

But Goff had a deal that was looked at as unmovable but they moved it

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Yeah, what the Rams are doing is high risk, high reward. It's sort of reverse money ball. They are identifying some of the soon to be high paid guys and giving away future assets to secure them. Here's what I don't get in terms of the Ram's cap situation:

Donald = ~$28M
Ramsey = $22.5M
Stafford = $20M
Kupp = $14M
Woods = $14M
Whitworth = ~$11M

That's $109.5M for 6 players. Add in Goff's $22M and Gurley's $8.5M in dead cap space and that's 140/176 or ~80% of your cap going towards 6/52 or 11.5% of your roster.

I resembles how a basketball team is constructed more than a football team. Basketball they can pay 2-3 people all the money because they touch the ball almost all the time.

Maybe they are trying to apply the 80/20 rule to football? Overall I just don't get it. From the team that got a king's ransom for the RG3 trade now they seem cool with being on the opposite side of that deal.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
I think it's more likely for them to keep the 176, but have an exception that allows a certain amount of dead cap space to just vanish.

Then again, if that's the case why not do the Stafford trade for one one 1st, let the league know Goff is for sale and send him to the highest bidder?

Leomaz

Pissing people off the right way!
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
  2. Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Closer to 183

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I think it's more likely for them to keep the 176, but have an exception that allows a certain amount of dead cap space to just vanish.

Then again, if that's the case why not do the Stafford trade for one one 1st, let the league know Goff is for sale and send him to the highest bidder?
I agree that I think they are going to have to have some sort of exemption, but don't think it will be a dead cap exemption, as teams that are cap heavy but keep their own would not benefit. Don't like the idea of a being shitty at your job bonus. Who knows maybe just keeping the cap static for a season would work.

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Yeah, what the Rams are doing is high risk, high reward. It's sort of reverse money ball. They are identifying some of the soon to be high paid guys and giving away future assets to secure them. Here's what I don't get in terms of the Ram's cap situation:

Donald = ~$28M
Ramsey = $22.5M
Stafford = $20M
Kupp = $14M
Woods = $14M
Whitworth = ~$11M

That's $109.5M for 6 players. Add in Goff's $22M and Gurley's $8.5M in dead cap space and that's 140/176 or ~80% of your cap going towards 6/52 or 11.5% of your roster.

I resembles how a basketball team is constructed more than a football team. Basketball they can pay 2-3 people all the money because they touch the ball almost all the time.

Maybe they are trying to apply the 80/20 rule to football? Overall I just don't get it. From the team that got a king's ransom for the RG3 trade now they seem cool with being on the opposite side of that deal.

Read somewhere that Staffords cap hits are around 12m

ChiKhan

QB1
Liked Posts:
To make this Bears relevant, this would open up cutting Nick Foles. Most of the people on the board have just assumed he'd be on the roster because his cap number is $6,666,666, but if you cut him his cap number increases by $3,666,668 to $10,333,334. He's more cap expensive to cut, so logically it won't happen. If cutting him all of a sudden frees up money then it becomes a viable option,

BTW, Why would anyone have a salary cap number of all 6's? Who plans for that? WFT Pace? Is he one of those devil worshipers Q used to tell us about?
Illuminati confirmed. Now I know why Pace still has a jab he's part of the cot damn illuminatty.

Rob219_CBMB

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I wanted to post something that relates to all the QB movement talk, so it is Bears related, but not directly related to your team.

We've been told the estimated salary cap is ~$176MM. This represents a material drop from the 2020 salary cap of $198.2MM.

Add in if you follow overthecap.com or spotrac.com there are anywhere between 14 -15 teams with negative cap space, which typically means teams aren't that active and spend more time restructuring their own deals. The opposite has been happening. It's setting up for the craziest QB frenzy despite those moves having a negative cap impact on almost all teams. It has me feeling like:

giphy.gif

Here's my theory - The NFL and NFLPA are going to allow dead cap space with respect to COVID/lowering of the cap. I actually think some typically cap savvy teams have been planning around this. The NFLPA would allow it because it means more $ available for new contracts. The NFL teams would want it because a bunch of them are already in the red and have a long way to go.

Anyway, it's just a thought. This type of 'cap allowance' would let teams cut bait with their current 'QB marriage' and chase the next shiny thing.

make this Bears relevant, this would open up cutting Nick Foles. Most of the people on the board have just assumed he'd be on the roster because his cap number is $6,666,666,

Pace playing mind games with nut house worshippers? this is too damn coincidental.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The salary cap is a real thing, just because people don't understand it doesn't make it any less real. "Creating" cap space is akin to opening up a new credit card to pay off an old credit cards balance. It can be done for only so long until the balance becomes due, but it does allow for some maneuverability.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Amnesty clause is one of the "outside the box" methods the NFL owners and PA can come to that helps lessen the blow of the cap dropping $20M. Although I would hope the Bears use that on Quinn, not Foles. although that would be a whole lot of $$ paying a player not to play for your team.

I still think the best solution for both parties is keeping the cap flat at $198M for 2021 and then negotiating a 3-6 year cap freeze to spread the covid loss of revenue out over multiple years.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
meh, everyone thinks that the owners are just going to forgo saving some real $$ and just say "screw it" and hand the players another 320-640 mil more than they have too.

Bust

Liked Posts:
Cap will stay the same.

Unlike the NHL, the NBA and NFL make leet cash on tv rights deals. It's why CBS sports can extend their cash cow Tony Romo for 17 million per year just to announce games on tv.