OT: NHL Players Allowed to play in Olympics

Should NHL Players be allowed to play in the Olympics?

• Total voters

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Apparently the NHL will allow its players to play in the Olympic games in Russia next season, with a break from Feb. 9 to Feb 24.

What do you guys think about that?

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Normally, I'd say sure....why not? But not this year. The Hawks will get limited rest as it is with the lengthed season plus the craziness that goes along with taking the Cup out to breakfast and other funny shit. On top of that, I'd expect them to place quite a few of their players around the world from Canada to the US, Russia, Sweden....I'd say as many as 8 or 9 Hawks might be involved. It's gonna be hard enough to repeat as it is, this will make it damn near impossible.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
for example, guys like Hossa & Duncs have enough mileage on them.

I'd prefer if neither played.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
It isn't really about what the fan prefers, it's about attracting the best talent in the world to the NHL. A lot of these European players really want to play for their country in the Olympics, so it would be foolish to not allow them to participate. All that would do is make some of these players think twice about joining the NHL.

With that in mind, fuck team Russia and especially Kovy.

inactiveuser1

The Legend
Donator
Liked Posts:
I didn't know they couldn't participate in the Olympics before...

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Olympic hockey is the best hockey, cannot wait for February.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All it takes is for one of the Hawks top guns to get hurt & you'll change your tune.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
All it takes is for one of the Hawks top guns to get hurt & you'll change your tune.

Very true, but the Olympics is good for the entire league... Sometimes bigger things then just the team we root for takes presidence.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Very true, but the Olympics is good for the entire league... Sometimes bigger things then just the team we root for takes presidence.

:hitler: NO! NO! NO! All that matters is teh HawkZzzz winningzZz the Cupzzz!!!! :hitler:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sorry. But having lived through the "Miracle" in 1980 when our college kids beat the best team in the world, there's just not the same feeling of accomplishment when our "pros" beat their "pros". But it's a done deal, so we live with it.

[video=youtube;qYscemhnf88]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYscemhnf88[/video]

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Well I would prefer it be all amateurs but we have moved far beyond that. Even back in 80 the Soviets were pros. So for an even playing field and a damn good product the NHL is doing the right thing. And these guys want to represent their countries. Hard to argue wth that.

Gunzaan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
They have more of a chance then a bunch of college kids. Don't see a reason to scoff at a Silver.

Oh, it was a fun run last time but I'm of the opinion that second place is the first loser.

Franko725

Liked Posts:
Oh, it was a fun run last time but I'm of the opinion that second place is the first loser.

This. Anyone that thinks that it was a nice consolation for the Bruins to make it to the Finals and come up short is nuts. Silver medals in a team sport is like a participation ribbon in youth sports.