OT: No suspension for Torres

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Pretty easy actually - stick down and near the puck saw a guy coming the other direction- braced for impact- generally when you brace for impact you want to do it so that you receive the lesser of the impact -or non-euphemized- knock the other guy on his arse. That's life on a rink at every level of the game. You'd need to play to get it; if you "play" now- you need to play more, and try a checking league this time.

On another note: from the NHL:

"When Rule 48 (Illegal Check to the Head) was unanimously adopted by the General Managers in March 2010, there was no intention to make this type of shoulder hit to the head illegal. In fact, at that time, we distributed a video to all players and teams that showed a similar hit on a defenseman by an attacking forward coming from the opposite direction behind the net and stated that this is a 'legal play'.

"This hit meets none of the criteria that would subject Torres to supplemental discipline, including an application of Rule 48: He did not charge his opponent or leave his feet to deliver this check. He did not deliver an elbow or extended forearm and this hit was not 'late'."

Considering I was playing defense once, and got a boarding penalty (and a lot of shit from some teammates who apparently never played contact hockey either).... and I outweighed the guy I nailed by a good 60 pounds -which naturally sent the little hotshot guy flying ... I really don't feel so bad. Call it: validated.

Thank you, NHL. :)

___

Some remedial zebra-ing...

3) Charging is - if I recall correctly- taking 3 or more strides at an opponent with the expressed intent to nail the guy... and only nail the guy. That wasn't there. The puck was there and it made contact incidental.

2) Of course Seabrook didn't protect himself at all ... it is called having your head down - or (and this might be a little rough), but considering the situation ... having his head up his ass, if he did not expect the guy who drove the puck in near the point would actually get into standard winger position behind the net. It just so happened that it all occured at about the same time.

1) Well see the first part above - clearly he wasn't lining anyone up. It just happened that way. You know I am surprised by some people's ability to assign all sorts of motivations for something that basically happens in the blink of an eye - it is in a word - unrealistic.

Last edited:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
That's a hockey play? Sorry, Torres went for Seabs head.

If Wiz was here & he was out there, he would've beaten the fuck out of him.

You've proven time and again that you have never played hockey, know nothing about the cap, finances, or even really much even about how things happen in a split second, yet you basically demand some sort of 'expert' status - based upon what- I don't know.

It isn't from experience, I know that much. Please get some and come back after that has been done.

Last edited:

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmVdVJ1sRJI]YouTube - Andy Sutton vs. 'Expert' Reporter - Post Game Interview ECQF 2010 (HD)[/ame]

Captain Iago

Giver of Occular Proof
Donator
Liked Posts:
Here is a person who boldly states that there will be no dumpster diving in life -even if it is to maybe find some coffee ground smeared Powerball ticket which who knows, maybe some fool chucked out in some fit of ignorance....

Me, on the other hand, I might do it. :pacman2:

Not on the luckiest day of my life; I'm simply not that optimistic.

However, I'll help ya get your gloves on and root for ya all the way through (without expecting a share). :D

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty easy actually - stick down and near the puck saw a guy coming the other direction- braced for impact- generally when you brace for impact you want to do it so that you receive the lesser of the impact -or non-euphemized- knock the other guy on his arse. That's life on a rink at every level of the game. You'd need to play to get it; if you "play" now- you need to play more, and try a checking league this time.

On another note: from the NHL:

Considering I was playing defense once, and got a boarding penalty (and a lot of shit from some teammates who apparently never played contact hockey either).... and I outweighed the guy I nailed by a good 60 pounds -which naturally sent the little hotshot guy flying ... I really don't feel so bad. Call it: validated.

Thank you, NHL. :)

___

Some remedial zebra-ing...

3) Charging is - if I recall correctly- taking 3 or more strides at an opponent with the expressed intent to nail the guy... and only nail the guy. That wasn't there. The puck was there and it made contact incidental.

2) Of course Seabrook didn't protect himself at all ... it is called having your head down - or (and this might be a little rough), but considering the situation ... having his head up his ass, if he did not expect the guy who drove the puck in near the point would actually get into standard winger position behind the net. It just so happened that it all occured at about the same time.

1) Well see the first part above - clearly he wasn't lining anyone up. It just happened that way. You know I am surprised by some people's ability to assign all sorts of motivations for something that basically happens in the blink of an eye - it is in a word - unrealistic.

I think there is a difference between having your head down while carrying the puck and having your head down while corralling the puck along the boards. Seabrook made the mistake of trying to quickly go around the net without checking his blind side.

So i guess I agree with your head up his ass theory. Because Im not going to fault a guy for looking down at the puck to gain control.

AddisonStation

YamaHama it's fright nite
Donator
Liked Posts:
Another thing. Ive played a lot of hockey in my life. Checking and non-checking. I don't think this play is all that dirty. My point it that it is a minor penalty and Seabrook did a poor job on his end.

When I watch the replay where you can see Torres' face.... It doesn't appear to me that he is looking at the puck but its hard to be sure.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Not on the luckiest day of my life; I'm simply not that optimistic.

However, I'll help ya get your gloves on and root for ya all the way through (without expecting a share). :D

I suppose then this wouldn't be the time to mention that "rooting" is Australian (probably British/Irish/Scot as well) slang for copulating ....

or well, then again, who am I to judge? :D :rimshot: