OT: State of Virginia allows schools to pay athletes directly

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:

Does anyone else think that Virginia is being too cavalier with this decision?

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Not really. Actually, I'd say its unsurprising. Greed is just coming full circle, and players absolutely deserve a cut if the school is actively profiting from them, their likenesses, their jerseys, their time, etc.

When one treats everything like a 'business decision' based on how much money they make or don't, everything around them will turn into that and revolve around money. So this year at the combine, MHJ and Caleb blew of scheduled interviews, workouts, and media time--most years we'd chalk that up to 'bad character' but nowadays? It's just a business decision we probably need to start expecting on a yearly basis with more and more prospects prioritizing their health over a 'pro bono' workout for the cameras, especially since the team interested in their workout and potentially their services--would cut them in a 'business decision' right back once that player doesn't merit the $$$ in the eyes of the GM.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

Hey, ohhhhh!! 👍

I guess I’ll wait for legal scholars to weigh in, but I don’t know how the state of Virginia believes they can tell another body what their rules can and cannot be.

You can’t just pass a state law that makes the NCAA go away.

You have legislators who just want their own state schools to be stronger in sports so they come up with these “clever ideas”. I’d love to see the response just be OK Virginia and Virginia Tech are no longer members of the NCAA and not eligible to participate in anything.

We would have to suffer the horror of not seeing Virginia basketball make the NCAA tournament so they could score 18 points and a half. And when is the last time anyone saw Virginia tech sports do anything?

But in reality, it is the NCAA that is an endangered species.