OT: Steven Stamkos won't play in Olympics

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The decision was made after Stamkos underwent a CT Scan, which revealed that his broken tibia hasn't completely healed.

Consequently, his doctor would not give him the green light to play.

"It was a pretty clear cut decision, no gray areas at all," Lightning GM Steve Yzerman said.

Although Stamkos is a tremendously gifted player and would have been a great addition to Team Canada, they have more than enough talent to overcome this loss and replace him.

At the same time, this is very disappointing from a fan perspective as the opportunity to watch Stamkos and Sidney Crosby play on the same line on the international stage would have been special.

Marty St. Louis should replace him.

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
That's why they knew to take Sharp, didn't think he'd be back in time

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
And everyone in Tampa Bay breaths a sigh of relief.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
Have to feel for him. Many felt he should have made Canada last Olympics and he would have played a big part for them this year. Hoping he takes the time to get well and returns to being a top player in the league. Every year his shooting percentage wows me...just a pure sniper.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Have to feel for him. Many felt he should have made Canada last Olympics and he would have played a big part for them this year. Hoping he takes the time to get well and returns to being a top player in the league. Every year his shooting percentage wows me...just a pure sniper.

The good thing for him is that there's a lot of chances to play for Team Canada in his future.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
The good thing for him is that there's a lot of chances to play for Team Canada in his future.

Maybe...maybe not - atleast in terms of the Olympics. I think there is a very realistic chance that this may be the last time we see NHL players at the Olympics (atleast for a while). There is chatter of the NHL holding a "tournament" during the Summer Olympics every year if they choose to go this route. It would be separate from the actual Olympics, but would just enable travel to be easier and the NHL could easily select the locations. There is also the World Championships...but no player really wants to play in that...it usually means your NHL team was knocked out of the playoffs (or missed them completely).

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Maybe...maybe not - atleast in terms of the Olympics. I think there is a very realistic chance that this may be the last time we see NHL players at the Olympics (atleast for a while). There is chatter of the NHL holding a "tournament" during the Summer Olympics every year if they choose to go this route. It would be separate from the actual Olympics, but would just enable travel to be easier and the NHL could easily select the locations. There is also the World Championships...but no player really wants to play in that...it usually means your NHL team was knocked out of the playoffs (or missed them completely).

I really hope that doesn't happen. NHL players in the Olympics make it that much better.

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
and there it is, St. Louis replaces Stammer. :kermit: