OT: Success The Steinbrenner Way

Uman85

Oh Yeah.
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is an article I found recently and I wanted to post it. It's about George Steinbrenner and the empire and dynasty he built at Yankee Stadium. Granted it's almost two years old, I really enjoyed reading it and thought it'd be a good discussion piece. It's a bit long, but if you have the time I highly recommend it.

The main points:

-Be Focused

-Work Tirelessly

-Don't Be Afraid To Shift Gears, Even If You Swore You Wouldn't

-Fire When Ready

-Be A Boss, Not A Friend

-Hire Top Talent, And Pay Them Well

-Demand Results

-Set Clear Goals

-Pay Attention To The Little Things

-Don't Give Your Stars Preferential Treatment

-Build Your Brand

-Have A Heart

-Don't Rest On Your Laurels

Here's the article: Success The Steinbrenner Way

Many people have criticized George Steinbrenner and the way the New York Yankees achieved their sustained success and dominance in Major League Baseball, but I really admire and respect how they were able to do it and maintain it year after year. If I were in the front office of any professional sports organization, I would print this article and mount it on the entryway to the ballpark for all employees to see.

Steinbrenner was a successful businessman and it's not hard to see why. Many may hate the Yankees, but that may stem simply from the fact that deep down they wish their team could become the superpower that they have become. I admire and respect them for that and I wish that the Cubs and White Sox would take their blueprint and execute it.

I know the Yankees have a substantially larger payroll than any other team in the league, but neither Chicago team is a small market operator. My question is why can't Chicago do what the Yankees have done? I hope some time in my life I can see a Chicago baseball dynasty similar to the Yankees'. Nothing would bring me greater joy.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
The Yankees had a pretty good run of success pre-Steinbrenner so that might have helped him some. Therefore the fan base in NY always expects winning.

cubsneedmiracle

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Only one on that list that isn't true is stars getting Preferential Treatment..

They do there.. It's pretty well known. For the most part deserving too.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
That and the core of the teams for probably the greatest stretch of success during the Steinbrenner era were developed while he was banned from baseball and not able to force his GM to trade them for whatever toy he thought would get them over the top that season.