OT: Tampa Hires Jason Licht as GM

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
I don't know why they even bothered hiring a GM if its really only in title. Oh well.

Lovie isn't qualified to do 75% of what a GM does, like handle contracts or run the scouting dept. Nobody named Lovie the GM, just gave him control over the roster and staff.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I suppose you're right. It is hard for a HC to balance that many things at once.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Lovie isn't qualified to do 75% of what a GM does, like handle contracts or run the scouting dept. Nobody named Lovie the GM, just gave him control over the roster and staff.

I don't even think most GMs handle the contracts, I think teams have contract negotiators like Stein for that aspect. Hearing Phil talk doesn't lead me to imagine him crafting contract language.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=4233743

cobbland

Liked Posts:
Does he have final say? I wasn't sure as I thought Les Snead did.

There's different stories why Fisher chose St. Louis, one from Sports Illustrated

The next day brought a flight to Palm Beach, Florida."I met with Stephen, Jeff and Carl and then we had dinner. The next day we had a breakfast meeting, I visited the Dolphins facility and had a final lunch before I flew back to Nashville. There were no offers yet. I just wanted to get comfortable with the team." Fisher met with Rams owner Stan Kroenke and Demoff a few days later, first in Denver and then at the team facility, where he got a chance to meet Sam Bradford ("I was very impressed with him").

With his destination narrowed to the two teams and initial meetings with both done, Fisher and Demoff sent "a non-economic issues wish list" to both teams, addressing the set-up of the organization, Fisher's personnel role and support for the coaches. Miami responded first, kickstarting serious negotiations, with the Rams following.

After two days, Fisher had made up his mind. He would coach the Rams.

Both teams were informed, and a day later Fisher was announced as the Rams' new coach. Fisher did not want to give specific reasons for his decision, other than to say he had a good comfort level with "the opportunity to win." That didn't stop speculation regarding the reasons Fisher chose St. Louis. It was reported that he preferred Kroenke as his owner and wanted a say in personnel decisions, which the Rams were more open to. It also didn't hurt that the Rams had three very valuable assets -- a potential franchise quarterback in Sam Bradford, the No. 2 overall pick in the upcoming draft available to deal to the highest bidder, and approximately $25 million in salary cap room going into free agency and that number could grow with some player cuts before March 13.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/jeff_diamond/02/29/jeff.fisher/

and one from The Palm Beach Post
Dolphins owner Stephen Ross didn't want to give Jeff Fisher more power than General Manager Jeff Ireland, and that might have cost Ross his top choice for the club's vacant head-coaching job.

Fisher rejected the Dolphins on Friday, choosing instead to accept the St. Louis Rams' offer to become their head coach.

Ross said he thought Fisher was comfortable with the owner's plan to have the coach and general manager share responsibility.

"I don't believe the organizational structure was really an issue, as far as I believe," Ross said Friday in a phone conversation with The Post. "I think we set the tone, and believe that the relationship between the coach and general manager is a partnership, and I felt Jeff was fine with that."

The Dolphins did their best to impress Fisher during their visit 10 days ago, flying him to and from the interview in Ross' helicopter, having Ross' confidant Carl Peterson give Fisher a personal four-hour tour of the facility and reportedly vowing not to be out-bid for his services.

But Fisher chose St. Louis, where he will have the ability to hand-pick a GM instead of working with Ireland.

The Rams also have a franchise quarterback in Sam Bradford, the No. 2 pick in this year's draft and approximately $45 million in salary cap space coming available in 2013. And Rams chief operating officer Kevin Demoff is the son of Fisher's agent, Marvin Demoff.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/s...ns-owner-stephen-ross-didnt-want-to-gi/nL3FP/

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
I don't even think most GMs handle the contracts, I think teams have contract negotiators like Stein for that aspect. Hearing Phil talk doesn't lead me to imagine him crafting contract language.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?id=4233743

Yes, but the GM does oversee that as wall. There are no "true" GM/ head coaches. In some cases the Director of pro personal may have more responsibilities. Or the team president may be more involved. Think back to the Bears before angelo to understand what a clusterfuck that could be.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yes, but the GM does oversee that as wall. There are no "true" GM/ head coaches. In some cases the Director of pro personal may have more responsibilities. Or the team president may be more involved. Think back to the Bears before angelo to understand what a clusterfuck that could be.

I don't think it would be smart to try to do all the jobs. If I was the HC, I would want final say on draft picks and roster because that is what is going to determine my success in the end.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This is horseshit. If you check the Leagues and Drafts forum you'll see than I'M the Bucs GM. Screw "Jason Licht".

ClydeLee

Liked Posts:
The last guys I remember having the title of HC & GM were Mike Holmgren and Mike Nolan. Both stepped down from the GM role because it was too much trying to do both roles, even if directors of personnel did take some duties.

Sent from my LGL85C using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
I don't think it would be smart to try to do all the jobs. If I was the HC, I would want final say on draft picks and roster because that is what is going to determine my success in the end.

It's not. and the thought that they hired Lovie to do both jobs is laughable..... But they didn't. I am a Bear fan who is REALLY happy Lovie Smith is no longer our coach, but he indeed has earned the position he has with Tampa and I hope he does well with a clean slate.

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
There was no way for him to show you this because there is no way to figure out how much of the Bears failures drafting was Lovie or the the GM whose ultimate power it was to make such choices. If the Bears were more successful drafting then the haters would have simply claimed it was Angelo making the final call and not Lovie.

At least now, the next time he gets shit there will be no confusion as to who made the final call. At the end of the day, the only people Lovie needed to convince he deserved control over the 53 man roster were the Glazers. Time will tell if they made the right call or not.

The point remains, has Lovie proven in any way that he deserves full control over a 53 man roster?

Uncle Zeek

Liked Posts:
Really? Wow, people must have really been happy with getting one competent starter on defense (Melton) and one on offense (Forte) since 2007ish.

You asked if I thought he should have control over the roster. Not the draft.