OT: There is Still Some Hope In Chicago Sports

MassHavoc

Staff member
Liked Posts:
I remember when people said the exact same thing about Kane. I'd say that turned pretty okay...

There's a reason why smaller skilled players can survive in the NHL, and it has more to do with on-ice awareness than it does with enforcers. And if you're factoring how the game has changed with the extinction of guys like McSorley, you also have to factor in how the game has changed with suspensions, which is fazing out open-ice checkers like Scott Stevens and Nik Kronwall. Sure, there a few guys out there (M. Tkachuk, E. Kane) that throw these hits regularly, but they're much rarer in today's NHL.

That said, I still believe enforcers -- even by today's standards -- are important. But on-ice awareness is the most important when it comes to survival.
There is unfortunately no place for the true enforcer today. Have to still be a skill guy with willingness to stick up for your teammates. Last night you saw the immediate impact of the vets they brought in with Perry and Foligno playing the role.

Granada

Liked Posts:
There is unfortunately no place for the true enforcer today. Have to still be a skill guy with willingness to stick up for your teammates. Last night you saw the immediate impact of the vets they brought in with Perry and Foligno playing the role.
It depends on how you define "true enforcer," but yes, I agree that there is no room in today's NHL for a guy who strictly fights. The role of enforcer has evolved from that, but it still exists and it still has a place even in today's game. I think the biggest difference is, you have to at least skate (adequate speed) and you can't be a total liability in the 6-7 minutes of ice-time you get -- those were never prerequisites for "true" enforcers.