OT: Turkoglu Rejects Blazers Offer

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
UPDATE: The Oregonian has learned that free agent forward Hedo Turkoglu has rejected an offer to sign with the Trail Blazers and has ended negotiations with the team.

He will leave town tomorrow morning.

More to come.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/behindblazersbeat/2009/07/hedo_turkoglu_agrees_to_join_t.html

They might go after Kirk now.

I'm betting they wish that they put Ben at the top of their free agent board instead of Turkoglu now.

Looks like Pritchard just got pricth-slapped.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Good, their future isn't as bright as it looked a year ago. They looked stacked and now they just look good. It doesn't matter much, we won't be competing with the team that the brain trust of mediocrity put together.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
Why would Hinrich be available now? I bet they will pursue Andre Miller in a sign and trade. Paxdorf loves Hinrich too much.

charity stripe

Liked Posts:
Looks like Turkoglu will sign a 5/56 deal with Toronto.

Toronto will renounce Marion, Delfino, and parker.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
charity stripe wrote:

Thats really bad if true. He is the exact type of player they need to run them around.

Liked Posts:
TheStig wrote:
charity stripe wrote:

Thats really bad if true. He is the exact type of player they need to run them around.

Would he really do that? Why would he go to Toronto?

If he's the kind of guy who cares more about getting paid than winning i guess that's what he'll do.

If you were a player and you had these options which would you do?

A. Re-sign with your current team for a decent contract.
B. Sign with a lottery team for 5 years and 60 million.

Actually...i think i would do B! So i shouldn't rip on this guy.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Portland didn't want or need Ben, they wanted Kirk and should have been more aggressive in pursuing him. He would have been a great help to them. He has never played with a SG as good as Roy. I think Portland would have been good for Kirk's career also. That was a mistake on their part.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
what were they offering him 9 mil per? when BG gets 11 Hedo is right for turning that offer down.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
what were they offering him 9 mil per? when BG gets 11 Hedo is right for turning that offer down.

Ben's a much better scorer than Turkoglu, but Turkoglu's playmaking brings them about even. Hedo's on the wrong side of 30 though, and I think that's why Gordon was deemed the top free agent of this class instead of Turkoglu.

I think both Turkoglu and Gordon will end up signing for less than their actually worth. Their being paid like similar scoring talents (Gordon's contract is the same per a year as Monta Ellis, and Gordon this year was about the same as Ellis in 07-08), but I think Gordon and Turkoglu should come at a bit more of a premium, and not be paid like scorers of their ability, because of the clutch factor.

I think Gordon in this factor is worth even more of a premium, because while Turkoglu hits the big shots just like Gordon, Gordon has the ability to morph into a superstar in the fourth quarter, and just take over a game in a way that few can do...Wade, Lebron, and Kobe...and Gordon does this on a pretty consistent basis too.

The Portland offer was pretty good for Hedo. Toronto may offer him a little more, but Portland is obviously a much better situation, winning wise.

Not sure if the thing about talks being cut off is going to be entirely accurate. I don't see why he wouldn't keep talks going, to see if Portland could work out a sign and trade with Orlando.

If they do a sign and trade, say a Portland 2nd round draft pick going to Orlando, just because of the increased raises, they could give him nearly $11 million a year in a 6 year deal...and Orlando would get a huge trade exception out of it as well.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:

Exactly right, especially after his playoff performance. Point Forwards are not easy to find.

The best player available in FA signed with the Lakers...hands down.

Hedo cant look at his contract because he is way below market value, Lakers got a steal. So Hedo will have to be a bit stubborn as to what he wants.

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

Exactly right, especially after his playoff performance. Point Forwards are not easy to find.

The best player available in FA signed with the Lakers...hands down.

Hedo cant look at his contract because he is way below market value, Lakers got a steal. So Hedo will have to be a bit stubborn as to what he wants.

seems like Raptors will be giving him 5 yrs 55 mil.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
THEY OVERPAID!
hedo is 30! 5 years for a 30 year old.