Pace and Nagy were talking about the importance of the U tight end

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
The Bears actually spent capital on the position. They used a 2nd round draft pick and spent good money on a free agent. They just happened to be wrong on their choices. Its not as if they didn't do anything; they just didn't do the right thing.

Like Windy said: a converted OT and a few college undrafted FAs is basically equivalent to doing nothing ie, having faith in Burton and Shaheen that is unjustified then and proven so by now.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
I never said he was absolved. I said he did address it, just poorly and unsuccessfully. And the discussion wasn't just about the last offseason. It was the entirety with Nagy.

See above. You said it's not like he did nothing. That was what I argued against.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Doing nothing would have been better. It would have saved us a second round pick and some FA money.

Believe it or not, it's impossible to get every pick right. Also there's no crystal ball to expect the OL as a whole to fall off a damn cliff and play like ass when serviceable last year (looking at you Charles Leno Jr).

It's crucial they find a way to replace the duds asap but not grossly overpaying at the expense of the quality starters. Delicate stuff with no certainty of future ROI, as much as we fans demand perfection.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
^ I do fault Nagy & Pace for grossly underestimating how bad their proclaimed answers at TE have turned out. They expected more from Shaheen & Burton and got far less. They gave them more than a fair chance to prove their worth. Injuries further delayed the process of cutting bait & moving on, which sucks.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Like Windy said: a converted OT and a few college undrafted FAs is basically equivalent to doing nothing ie, having faith in Burton and Shaheen that is unjustified then and proven so by now.

Let me take you in the way back machine of this thread....

The original premise was that Pace did not address the TE position that Nagy desired....

I said they actually did address it. They signed Burton who was, statistically a top ten TE in 2018....

I then stated they did not have any decent depth on the roster.

Both of my above statements are factually correct.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They knew Burton was hurt all offseason and did not adequately address the position to protect against him not coming back.

They also massively over valued Shaheen.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
They knew Burton was hurt all offseason and did not adequately address the position to protect against him not coming back.

I'm not sure what they could have done to adequately address it this past off-season. They didn't have a lot of money and anyone worth trading for would have cost too much.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
There were grumblings before the playoff game. Have no idea where I read it and didn't put much stock in it then. It seems suspicious this year and while I would not say I know it I rather say if there's smoke there is fire and if there is fire, Pace knew before offseason that Burton was an issue whether it is pure injury or not, Pace did nothing which was the entire point of my reply.

Well at least you know how to say it the right way by saying you have no idea but it could be this or whatever to where windy talks like he has facts but he actually has no facts at all. I mean it absolutely could of been one of the two things that windy said it could only be or it could of been one of the other 4 things that i added as possibilities. We don't and more than likely never will know the truth, even though windy says he knows. LOL

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Burton was supposed to be the answer and he was in 2018......they had shit depth behind him. They couldn't do much in 2019 to address the backup position.

This is what happens when you make failed high round draft choices.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I'm not sure what they could have done to adequately address it this past off-season. They didn't have a lot of money and anyone worth trading for would have cost too much.

Darren Fells 1.5 million
Marcedes Lewis 2.1 million
Charles Clay 2 million
Maxx Williams 800k

Riley Ridley-126
Foster Moreau-137

They could have not assumed that Burton would be healthy and that Shaheen would not suck.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
If you say. I cannot recall where I heard the idea Burton was not that injured but like I said, I didn't put much stock in it at the time. This year however, I am far more suspicious that something with him beyond just being injured.

Even so, my entire first post holds up. Whatever issue Burton was dealing with: pure physical or more, Pace did nothing about it in the offseason when we all knew he was a question mark regardless of hypotheses as to why.

But all we knew in the offseason was that Burton might not be ready for the start of the season. I mean maybe that changed right when the season was about to start or did start but it was too late then cause the draft was obviously over and anyone worth a damn in free agency was gone so they brought in a bunch of guys in UDFA and gave the weight loss thing a shot with Sowell so they did bring in options so to say they didn't is wrong. Now just because those options didn't work doesn't mean they didn't try. It's all a big mystery and will keep CCS busy for weeks or maybe months.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Burton was supposed to be the answer and he was in 2018......they had shit depth behind him. They couldn't do much in 2019 to address the backup position.

This is what happens when you make failed high round draft choices.

This is true. This really does come back to Shaheen being a bust.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is true. This really does come back to Shaheen being a bust.

You can only invest so much into a position...Bears were maxed last year and the Burton injury bit them in the ass.

If Burton was healthy they would have been fine there.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You can only invest so much into a position...Bears were maxed last year and the Burton injury bit them in the ass.

If Burton was healthy they would have been fine there.

They still would have been weak at the Y.

You cannot assume a guy coming off surgery is going to be healthy. You also had 0 evidence to rely on Shaheen for any reason. They needed to sign a #2 TE.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Oh my goodness you love twisting things to fit your argument. They did know that Burton wasn't back to 100% health and that he might not be ready for the start of the season but did think he would be back to healthy within the first 2-3 weeks or so. They didn't have money to spend in free agency and didn't have a draft pick until the 3rd round with much bigger needs then hoping to draft a TE in the 3rd round that could start for the first couple of games until Burton was ready to go. Now go ahead and spin some stuff around talking with facts when you actually do not have facts.

How do they adequately fill the starting TE position with no money and no picks until the 3rd round when they thought Burton would only miss 2-3 games?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Darren Fells 1.5 million
Marcedes Lewis 2.1 million
Charles Clay 2 million
Maxx Williams 800k

Riley Ridley-126
Foster Moreau-137

They could have not assumed that Burton would be healthy and that Shaheen would not suck.

Oh see i thought you said ADEQUATELY fill the position not just grab some bum off the market to fill in...Hahahaha.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh see i thought you said ADEQUATELY fill the position not just grab some bum off the market to fill in...Hahahaha.

They are all cheap and way better than Shaheen. Those are all professional TEs, not over drafted fat kids from Ashland.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh my goodness you love twisting things to fit your argument. They did know that Burton wasn't back to 100% health and that he might not be ready for the start of the season but did think he would be back to healthy within the first 2-3 weeks or so. They didn't have money to spend in free agency and didn't have a draft pick until the 3rd round with much bigger needs then hoping to draft a TE in the 3rd round that could start for the first couple of games until Burton was ready to go. Now go ahead and spin some stuff around talking with facts when you actually do not have facts.

How do they adequately fill the starting TE position with no money and no picks until the 3rd round when they thought Burton would only miss 2-3 games?

They thought wrong, that is on the medical staff.

You have insurance even thought it is unlikely you will need it. Where was the insurance for a guy who was coming off surgery?

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
They are all cheap and way better than Shaheen. Those are all professional TEs, not over drafted fat kids from Ashland.

D.Fells was a nothing before this year and he's really not been anything great this year besides having some games that he's caught a TD pass and i think had one game that he caught 2.

The others have been bums their entire careers and C.Clay is 74 years old.