Pace, drafting with Nagy, seems to hit more on offense.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Pre Nagy: White, Shaheen, Grasu, Mitch, Langford all relative busts for where they were picked. The only good offensive weapon was Tarik Cohen and Jordan Howard, who sucked after leaving Chicago. He did well at drafting oline though.

Post Nagy: Monty, Miller (average pick), Mooney, Kmet (jury still out). Out of the top 3-4 rounds, there hasn't been a bust yet.

I know this board craps on the idea of Pace drafting another QB, but this time around it isn't just Pace it is Nagy as well. And I for one, think they can hit on a Day 2 QB this time around, who can be a starter level QB.

puckthefackers

Liked Posts:
Fingers crossed. I hope to see 3 of the first 4 draft picks allocated to O. OL, QB and WR.

Romo27

Liked Posts:
I think he gets crapped on because he was touted as a next level evaluator of talent when he was hired. He's made some good picks, and some decent FA signings at other positions, but he can't seem to evaluate a QB to save his life. After three swings and misses, I hope that he defers to Nagy on their next QB acquisition.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I would attribute that to Pace's growth as a talent evaluator than Nagy having any input on personnel.

Early on in Pace's career you saw more early attempts at athletes like Kevin White or Leonard Floyd for example, and then he would just draft productive players in round 2 and beyond (Eddie Goldman, Whitehair). He has gotten away from targeting those really athletic players early and just gone with more productive players in general (Roquan Smith, Montgomery, etc.) and has done better with that approach.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I would attribute that to Pace's growth as a talent evaluator than Nagy having any input on personnel.

Early on in Pace's career you saw more early attempts at athletes like Kevin White or Leonard Floyd for example, and then he would just draft productive players in round 2 and beyond (Eddie Goldman, Whitehair). He has gotten away from targeting those really athletic players early and just gone with more productive players in general (Roquan Smith, Montgomery, etc.) and has done better with that approach.
Yeah it is impossible to tell if it is Nagy's influence or Pace's growth, since the timing of the change in picks coincides with Nagy arriving. If Pace is growing then I can see why he was kept.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
Pre Nagy: White, Shaheen, Grasu, Mitch, Langford all relative busts for where they were picked. The only good offensive weapon was Tarik Cohen and Jordan Howard, who sucked after leaving Chicago. He did well at drafting oline though.

Post Nagy: Monty, Miller (average pick), Mooney, Kmet (jury still out). Out of the top 3-4 rounds, there hasn't been a bust yet.

I know this board craps on the idea of Pace drafting another QB, but this time around it isn't just Pace it is Nagy as well. And I for one, think they can hit on a Day 2 QB this time around, who can be a starter level QB.

its a little misleading...mooney was furrey's pick so that just leaves monty, kmet and miller who in my opinion is not an average pick, he's essentially a bust being a 2nd rd pick. montgomery is talented but a questionable pick since he's better as a heavy carry type back but in nagy's mostly pass only run if you have to offense its a questionable fit.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Yeah it is impossible to tell if it is Nagy's influence or Pace's growth, since the timing of the change in picks coincides with Nagy arriving. If Pace is growing then I can see why he was kept.
It’s not impossible to tell. Any GM worth anything will work with the HC on drafting every single player. Nagy has been a major factor in the decisions...

Visionman

Liked Posts:
its a little misleading...mooney was furrey's pick so that just leaves monty, kmet and miller who in my opinion is not an average pick, he's essentially a bust being a 2nd rd pick. montgomery is talented but a questionable pick since he's better as a heavy carry type back but in nagy's mostly pass only run if you have to offense its a questionable fit.
You are aware of how often we ran the ball last season, right????

discplayer

Liked Posts:
I think he gets crapped on because he was touted as a next level evaluator of talent when he was hired. He's made some good picks, and some decent FA signings at other positions, but he can't seem to evaluate a QB to save his life. After three swings and misses, I hope that he defers to Nagy on their next QB acquisition.
Foles was who Nagy wanted, out of veteran QBs available, so that was not a swing and miss by Pace alone. He did not act on his own there.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
It is hard to judge Foles, since he had no offseason and had a crap oline at the time.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
montgomery is talented but a questionable pick
Questionable for a 3rd rounder?

A duel threat RB was exactly what Nagy asked for, and Monty has very good hands, Nagy just doesn't use personnel properly.

Nothing says Matt Nagy more than wanting a dual-threat RB and him averaging less than 3 receptions a game over his career.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Foles was who Nagy wanted, out of veteran QBs available, so that was not a swing and miss by Pace alone.
Exactly. Nagy begged to replace Trubisky, got the guy he was asking for, and couldn't coach his hand-picked QB to start over Trubisky. And have to give up play calling.

People thinking that Nagy helps in the draft. Laughable. He can't even run an offense, call his own plays or use the personnel that he has. That fucker gave Demetrius Harris more snaps than Kmet.

ChiGuy

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Nagy is going for his guy in this draft, so if we’re picking a QB it’s not going to be Pace’s choice. Can’t see Nagy going out and being fired without getting his drafted QB.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
You are aware of how often we ran the ball last season, right????

Yes we were good for 24th in the league in rushing attempts and thats with lazor taking playcalling away for several games...26th the year before that. Montgomery was top in 5 in attempts but he could have gotten more carries and made more impact instead of carries being given mizell, cohen, etc...

Questionable for a 3rd rounder?

A duel threat RB was exactly what Nagy asked for, and Monty has very good hands, Nagy just doesn't use personnel properly.

Nothing says Matt Nagy more than wanting a dual-threat RB and him averaging less than 3 receptions a game over his career.

so exactly what nagy asked for and he doesnt use his personnel properly? doesnt make sense...
bottom line here is montgomery is being wasted away by nagy, the guy has said he prefers to pass if given a choice...

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
david montgomery finished in the top 5 of attempts and rushing yards... Bears fans continue this narrative of Nagy and it’s simply not true.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

I'm sorry. Did I miss the part where Pace turned over the general manager's position to furrey for one pick?

Coaches and scouts can pound their fist on the table all they want - the GM still has to pick them.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:

We have all heard the rumors that Nagy was pounding the table for Mahomes and the Chiefs listened.

The reality is that a Day 2 QB will likely be the best the Bears can do this year, but that puts you in the position that you are drafting a developmental QB.

I like the idea that they take a shot at the position again this year and being a 2nd round QB does not automatically preclude you from taking another shot next year.

Is Nagy a better evaluator, maybe, but unless he becomes a better coach this year, then it will not matter.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think there's definitely something to this. Fox was a defensive guy, and Pace had good defensive picks with him as HC (Amos, Goldman, Floyd, Kwiatkoski, Jackson, even Bush is solid depth and RRH as a UDFA). Nagy is an offensive coach and while it's probably a little early to determine if Pace has figured out how to draft offense, it doesn't hurt having the chef helping pick out the groceries....to borrow a Parcells line.