Pace picked Trubisky for self preservation

billwade

Liked Posts:
After two miserable seasons, Pace knows he's vulnerable. A sub par 2017 would likely mean he would be replaced along with Fox, but the Trubisky pick just changed all that.

Nothing determines the fate of a GM more than tying himself at the hip to a first round QB. In essence, by taking Trubisky at #2, Pace effectively changed the focus of fan and FO scrutiny from the 2017 season onto Trubisky himself. Without Trubisky, Pace would probably not survive another 5-11 season, but with the #2 pick on the roster, Pace will likely receive another 2+ seasons after '17 to see how Trubisky develops, regardless of how this season unfolds.

Really, it was brilliantly orchestrated. Glennon is the insurance Pace purchased to guard against an unmitigated disaster in '17. The only vulnerability Pace has in '17 is a 1-15 or 0-16 season. If Glennon can buy him 5 wins or more, the promise of Trubisky will carry Pace through at least 2019. Trubisky can't really be judged on his first full year as a starter, so 2018 will be the earliest the "bust" label can be applied with any credibility.

That's why Pace was willing to give up whatever was necessary to get him. Trubisky emerged as the highest profile QB in the draft, and Pace landed him. Fox however, doesn't benefit at all from the Trubisky pick. In fact, it all but seals his fate. He needed an immediate impact player, not someone who probably won't pay dividends until 2019. I just read that Fox didn't even know that Pace wanted Trubisky until an hour before the draft. I think Fox is all but gone after 2017, unless the Bears significantly over perform.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
In reality I think Pace draft Trubisky because he may become a really good QB one day.....

people are gettin' all Machiavellian and shit

TheeUndyingFan

Dragon of Dojima
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
It definitely resets his clock barring something insane happening.

Regardless, he still 100% believes in Trubisky, and that's really all that matters.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
OP, I had the same thought, and agree with you, Pace played is right for Pace. Hopefully works out for the Bears as well.

I certainly cannot blame him, and in his shoes I would have done the same.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
In reality I think Pace draft Trubisky because he may become a really good QB one day.....

Your opinion and that of the OP are not mutually exclusive, I think you are both right.

RacerX

Liked Posts:
And George Bush was behind 911...

So wrong, we all know it was Obama/HRC/Jews/Libtards/JedBush/Russians/Jews/Obama/IndigenousPeople/Feminazis/Obama/Jews/9thCircuit.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
the thing that kills your conspiracy theory he could have stayed at pick three, picked watson, and made more fans happy cause their were more for Watson here then Trubisky. Not everything is a conspiracy theory maybe he just went all in for his guy like he did for Floyd last year

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
So wrong, we all know it was Obama/HRC/Jews/Libtards/JedBush/Russians/Jews/Obama/IndigenousPeople/Feminazis/Obama/Jews/9thCircuit.

Don't act asshurt.

And besides, it was the Saudis and Mossad. ;)

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
the thing that kills your conspiracy theory he could have stayed at pick three, picked watson, and made more fans happy cause their were more for Watson here then Trubisky. Not everything is a conspiracy theory maybe he just went all in for his guy like he did for Floyd last year

Grade: F

mcbear34

Here for the Wins
Liked Posts:
More like he picked the QB for the future of the Organization over his self interests. Maybe that's why he was hired in first place. Get over it and climb on board and get with the program.

If he sucks then you have an argument, otherwise this is such silly shit.

Houston, and KC fans are more pissed off on missing out on him. And they gave way more for their QBs. Still opportunity to build in this draft and next years besides them.

It's not like we're winning the SuperBowl next year. We're marinating now. Enjoy the Ride and Bear Down!

billwade

Liked Posts:

people are gettin' all Machiavellian and shit

So, tell me how any objective GM could believe Trubisky is a better prospect than Darnold, Rosen, Allen or even Jackson.

If the Bears wanted to give themselves the best chance for a franchise Qb, they would have taken Adams or Thomas this year and traded for one of the Qbs in a deep '18 class.

Face up: Without Trubisky, Pace is likely gone after '17 if the Bears have another 5 win or less season. With him, Pace survives. Whether it's a conspiracy or not, it's reality.

billwade

Liked Posts:
Your opinion and that of the OP are not mutually exclusive, I think you are both right.

Exactly. I never suggested Pace was drafting a guy he knew sucked. But whether it was planned or not, it bought him more time.

Urblock

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Agree with that list. :lol:

billwade

Liked Posts:

Fans here don't matter. The national consensus was that Trubisky was a better prospect than Watson as was proven by their respective draft positions. Naturally, Pace was looking for whoever he felt was the best QB.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
So, tell me how any objective GM could believe Trubisky is a better prospect than Darnold, Rosen, Allen or even Jackson.

If the Bears wanted to give themselves the best chance for a franchise Qb, they would have taken Adams or Thomas this year and traded for one of the Qbs in a deep '18 class.

Face up: Without Trubisky, Pace is likely gone after '17 if the Bears have another 5 win or less season. With him, Pace survives. Whether it's a conspiracy or not, it's reality.

I could explain this but you have already made up your mind.

There is no guarantee that we would be able to take a QB that we would want next year...no guarantee that these QBs would be better...simply saying you would trade for them is easier said than done....ask Cleveland and they were loaded with draft choices yesterday.

Pace took the best opportunity to take what he thought was the best QB in the draft this year....

Bears fans have been waiting for this ever since they traded for Cutler and before that McMahon.

What if Trubisky turns out to be great and they get a great defensive player in the first round next year?

MrOuija

Liked Posts:

Are you kidding? Rosen? Did you not see him in 2016? Jackson? At this point he's not a passer. You want Darnold and your likely giving up multiple 1sts, we didn't need to do that. If all Pace was worried about was saving his job he wouldn't have traded anything and just taken Watson.