Packers DE Mike Neal could be in play for Bears

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
I know this is going to set the board off but if the Bears sign him I really will believe we are moving to a 3-4 and Louis Nix III is our guy in the draft. The personnel moves make too much sense.

Mitchapalooza

WE
ARE
NOT
MOVING
TO
A
3-4.
I
REPEAT,
WE
ARE
NOT
MOVING
TO
A
3-4.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
WE ARE NOT MOVING TO A 3-4. I REPEAT, WE ARE NOT MOVING TO A 3-4.

How do you know? If the Neal signing happens, lets look at our moves:

Neal, a 290 pound non-pass rushing DE
Houston, a 300 pound non-pass rushing DE
McClellin moves to OLB where he clearly will still focus on rushing the passer

Those three moves are a clear indication. The only evidence that the Bears are not moving to a 3-4 is a statement made by the Bears a month ago, before anyone was signed.

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I know this is going to set the board off but if the Bears sign him I really will believe we are moving to a 3-4 and Louis Nix III is our guy in the draft. The personnel moves make too much sense.

...except for that inconvenient little bit of evidence where the Bears publicly stated that they will remain a single gap 4-3, albeit with more flexibility than in the past.

Now, do the Bears signings portend a move to a 3-4, or do they fulfill exactly what the Bears themselves stated they're going to do - run a single gap 4-3 with flexibility to present other looks?

proton

Liked Posts:
Green Bay likes to sign their own and are sitting on a lot of cash, they are probably laying in the weeds waiting for Neal's market value to be established.

Mitchapalooza

Those three moves are a clear indication. The only evidence that the Bears are not moving to a 3-4 is a statement made by the Bears a month ago, before anyone was signed.

Idk just our GM stating that we are not.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
...except for that inconvenient little bit of evidence where the Bears publicly stated that they will remain a single gap 4-3, albeit with more flexibility than in the past.

I agree, they did say that... a month ago, before they knew how free agency was going to fall. What they really said was that they intend to maintain versatility on defense. How would adding two non-pass rushing DE's actually allow a team to run an effective 4-3 defense? The Houston signing doesn't make sense, in the context of a 4-3 defense, if we do not add another pass rushing DE like Allen. A Neal signing with the Houston signing would not make sense at all if we truly intended to remain a 4-3. All the Bears really said is what they intended to do. They missed out on Bennett, and that may have forced them to change their plans. It's not unheard of for a team to say one thing then do the other, see Jay Ratliff for instance.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

wtf.....non-pass rushing?

Houston was credited with 3 less disruptions than Bennett off the edge....

fatbeard

Liked Posts:
I agree, they did say that... a month ago, before they knew how free agency was going to fall. What they really said was that they intend to maintain versatility on defense. How would adding two non-pass rushing DE's actually allow a team to run an effective 4-3 defense? The Houston signing doesn't make sense, in the context of a 4-3 defense, if we do not add another pass rushing DE like Allen. A Neal signing with the Houston signing would not make sense at all if we truly intended to remain a 4-3. All the Bears really said is what they intended to do. They missed out on Bennett, and that may have forced them to change their plans. It's not unheard of for a team to say one thing then do the other, see Jay Ratliff for instance.

You're really grasping here: The Houston signing doesn't make sense in a 4-3? He played in a 4-3 in Oakland, albeit one with flexibility. The Neal signing? A single-source rumor that hasn't even happened yet. McClellin moving to SLB? No surprise there, and still makes sense in the context of a 4-3; See: Colvin, Rosevelt.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

Now, do the Bears signings portend a move to a 3-4, or do they fulfill exactly what the Bears themselves stated they're going to do - run a single gap 4-3 with flexibility to present other looks?
Trestman did make the comment about coaching will be decided by the types of players we end up with on defense. That's not how it was worded by Trestman but it was to that affect.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:
You're really grasping here: The Houston signing doesn't make sense in a 4-3? He played in a 4-3 in Oakland, albeit one with flexibility. The Neal signing? A single-source rumor that hasn't even happened yet. McClellin moving to SLB? No surprise there, and still makes sense in the context of a 4-3; See: Colvin, Rosevelt.

That's not what I said. I said the Houston signing combined with a Neal signing doesn't make sense. I'm not saying it will happen either, my entire post has been predicated on the word if. If they sign Neal I think we would be moving to a 3-4, solely because the personnel moves to that point wouldn't make sense otherwise.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Releasing Clemons saves the Seahawks 7.5 million against the cap so they might be getting ready to sign J.Allen.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4s
Packers fought off #Cardinals RT @mneal96: Hi Green Bay!!! I'll enjoy your winters for two more years!!

hyatt151

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 4s
Packers fought off #Cardinals RT @mneal96: Hi Green Bay!!! I'll enjoy your winters for two more years!!

So the Packers are switching to a 3-4? :smug2:

Kodiak

Liked Posts:
Green Bay resigns Neal.

KFFL: The Green Bay Packers are re-signing LB Mike Neal to a two-year deal, per his official Twitter feed. Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.