Part2 of NBA DRAFT 09 (Final Mock)

Rose1

Liked Posts:
11. Nets: Gani Lawal - The Yellow Jacket has been all over the draft board and despite the slide at the end of the year, he'll still be took early. Nets have no productive PF and on top of that, Nets have no PF that complements Lopez finesse skills. They need someone with potential to score inside and do the dirty work. Gani plays defense and he can score from the high post and in. He almost averaged a double-double this year. You also won't see people calling him soft because of his physicality play. This guy has a motor and plays like his favorite player Dwight Howard - though, he's not that strong obviously but similar attack.

12. Bobcats: Gerald Henderson - Bobcats have no SG that offers production on a high level. Henderson will give them that for years to come. He's a animal when you see him in attack mode. He blocks shots from weak side and he locks down smaller guards. He can shoot with potency inside arc. His game almost resembles Dwayne Wade but not quite there.

13. Pacers: Jeff Teague - I think they'll go with the hometown kid especially since TJ Ford is expandable. They'll obviously strike the iron while it's hot because we might not see a PG draft like this in the near future with this depth of talent. Teague is a combo guard that's explosive and loves to filled the stat sheet. He plays like the former NBA star Kevin Johnson. He'll get you about 3 steals and 24 points standing at 6'1''. He also has the ability to get his teammates easy buckets when he drives. He's more of offense first ala Bibby, then he'll get others involved. Pacers will most likely shop TJ or Jarret this summer to fill other holes since the point guard position is addressed. They still believe Hibbert has what it takes and they'll get him some help next. I wouldn't bet against it.

14. Suns: Johnny Flynn - Since Steve Nash won't be there long, expect Kerr to draft Flynn. The Suns camp is in love with the tough PG. He has the potential to be Chris Paul like. He passes the ball in comfortable areas for his teammates and you won't catch him not being vocal. He's a true leader that loves to push his teammates. His game is based on strength and he can do damage threading the paint. He loves to attack the rim and poster the opposition. Suns will be addressing other needs through trades. Don't be surprised if Shaq ends up back in the East. More importantly, Johnny will be wearing orange again!

15. Pistons: James Johnson - Yes, Johnson will be the likely pick for Detroit. Joe Dumars is one of the leagues best GM's. Don't expect Pistons to have their face in the mud for long. Johnson gives them a SF that can dominate on the offensive end by mixing it up and holding his own during stretches when the team needs stops. He loves to use his strong body and quick hands to commit t/o. JJ reminds scouts of a better ball handling Nocioni. He's a bully when active on the court. Plus, he doesn't shy away from being the guy. We all saw that at Wake. No question he was the Chief.

16. Bulls: BJ Mullens - Right now, Bulls need strength, size, and agility in the front-court. Oh, they also need a "go-to" guy in the front-court whom is trustworthy and can get easy buckets to relieve the guards. BJ Mullens fits that profile. BJ has a bad reputation for not being so dominant during his short period at OU. I think Matta should take most of that blame because he took his confidence by sitting him in spurts where he was playing decent. I think with Chicago style -whom have Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah, that many believe should be in the D-league at times- BJ should grow nicely from a role player to a solid starter. He's 2 years away from being reliable I believe.

17. Sixers: Ty Lawson - Mr.Lawson has this thoroughbred approach to the game. He shows top notch speed in the most under-controlled manner that I've seen. His ability to get into the lane and cause havoc will benefit their wings nice. He also will make A.I. even better with his vision. Lawson offers that missing commodity that has experience from winning a championship on the college level. He knows what it takes to win unlike Andre Miller at this stage. He's likely the pick since Andre Miller is on his down-side and Louis Williams isn't a pure point guard. Ty Lawson has just landed in the right situation.

18. T'Wolves: Eric Maynor - You got to love his seasoned savvy. Born in 1987, Maynor has the most complete approach to the game. He knows how to play the game and doesn't often get moved and become inconsistent. He plays the game like Sam Cassell. When you see him play, he doesn't stand-out athletically. He stands out in the IQ mold. His dimes are so crisp that if you're a SG, you can't help but want to play on his team. He's unselfish and takes over game when his team isn't in good shape. You might know this stud from the George Mason game where he displayed a mature quality and took over without hesitation. Wolves would love to have him because he's the most safest pick at their most unproductive position.

19. Hawks: Jrue Holiday - Right now Hawks are struggling at the point guard position with Bibby on the down-side of his career. His future with the Hawks is uncertain right now. I think with that in hand, they shouldn't flinch at drafting Jrue Holiday. He's a pure point guard that has the ability to takeover games. He score with acrobatic moves attacking the basket and Jrue has a smooth release on his shot. He can turn out to be a steal. Many compare his smooth game to Joe Johnson and that will come more apparent once people see how strong he has gotten sense UCLA. He'll probably end up being 6'4'' when he's done growing. This is a nice pick for the future.

20. Jazz: Dejuan Blair - They'll take Blair because at the moment this team can lose Boozer and Millsap this off-season. As soon you'll turn your head, they're gone like that. Blair role won't be any different than Millsap. He'll rebound and get easy buckets.

21. Hornets: Terrence Williams - his versatility is intriguing. You get two for the price of one. He can score the ball like Corey Maggette by playing with a high acrobatic movement. He has leadership qualities and he passes the ball well which gives him PG duties when Paul sits. I also think he brings toughness there that this team sometimes loses unfortunately. He's can play three positions (PG, SG, and SF).

22. Mavericks: Patty Mills - This guy has shown he's capable against every opposition he has faced. He can score and make his teammates effective which Dallas will lack once Kidd leaves. He probably isn't the most athletic but his speed and quickness gives him opportunities. He's one of those players that will be precise and focused on his play year after year. He's very respectful which doesn't hurt at all. Dirk Nowitzki has wanted players from overseas and that helps his case too - he's Australian.

23. Kings: Nick Calathes - I like the Greek guy. He obvious isn't going to be anything more than a high IQ player that manages games. Similar to Kevin Ollie, "he won't hurt you when playing for your team." He does everything a PG has to do. Make sure the players are happy and continue to feed the team. He's a 6'5'' point guard that has exceptional vision. The only knock he has is the athletic component. Though, he'll make up for it with his ability to shoot the ball. Nick should be a nice experiment in Sac Town with the PG job open as it remains.

24. Trailblazers: Austin Daye - When you're talking about Kevin Pritchard, you're obviously talking about a legit guy. He knows talent and gets it. He won't hold the 6'10'' Austin Daye hostage because of his lack of strength. He's going to develop it and find the best way to extract the talent and help him put it on display. Daye has the most upside in the draft besides Mullens and he might reach it in 3 years. Daye obviously needs to get stronger in order to compete on this level but don't hold him back. He's a skilled F that can play both positions without looking awkward and out of position. His game mimics Dirk Nowitzki a lot. He's a deadly shooter that causes mismatches.

25. Thunder: Tyler Hansbrough - Obviously the face of college basketball for sometime and for good reason. He's a hard-worker that doesn't take losing lightly. He plays off energy and out hustling his opponent. Being OKC needs some depth in the front-court, Tyler will give that to them. He instantly takes pressure off the stars by doing the small things. He might not be someone you would look at and want. His value is something only his teammates feel and understand.

26. Bulls: Wayne Ellington - Paxson will draft this guy because he has talent that can be utilized. Most important, Paxson will be lured by his Championship pedigree. Some may say why he fail so low, well Wayne Ellington is one dimensional. He has shown he can shoot the ball perfectly and you need to do more than that to be labeled more. We see this scene over and over through the NFL draft to the WNBA. Many have the same feeling about Tim Tebow, experts say he's not prototypical because of some flaws he has that efficient in college but not as much in the pro's. Or, maybe, the young woman from Uconn named Renee Montgomery. Hey, many felt that same way about Joakim Noah. One thing these athletes bring is Championship experience. They know what they're preparing for. Wayne Ellington has also played point guard so you might see him doing a little bit of that with Derrick Rose since he's a tweener. One thing you will see in a redundant matter is Wayne setting the net on fire from distance standing at 6'4''. He should have a nice career despite being a 6'4'' smaller guy that shies away from contact.

27. Grizzlies: Chase Budinger - Chase is very talented when it comes to athleticism and shooting the ball off screens and from distance. I think his role player potential is apparent to many scouts and he won't nothing more than that. He hasn't shown he wants it more since his arrival at Arizona and going into his Junior year many scouts know what to expect from him in the NBA. He has been into the pre-draft camps before so it's almost redundant. OJ Mayo will be happy to get another offensive weapon that can come off the bench and help.

28. T'Wolves: DaJuan Summers - this kid has a nice feel and can add some competition to the Wolves practices for that SF job. He can do almost everything with fluidity but on a good level. He has potential to turn out solid. Reminds me of Johnny Salmons, of course, he's more opposing size wise.

29. Lakers: Darren Collison - They will take this kid because they're familiar with what he does. I'm sure Laker scouts were keeping tabs on him along with Westbrook last year when UCLA had a buzz. He might take the PG job because no one has wanted it. It can be discouraging for Fisher and Famar when their SG is handling the ball a lot - inside joke. It'll be hard to imagine Collison not having hard feelings when Kobe has the ball so much.

30. Cavaliers: Derrick Brown - With the hype he has just created going a month into the draft, he has just got himself a first round slot. His game complements Lebron James a lot. He's a defensive stopper and still working on his game from the perimeter and out. He's a nice defender that's known for his high-flying dunks standing at 6'7''. Experts compare him to Robert Horry.

Basghetti80

Liked Posts:
Nice work with your thoughts for every pick. If the draft fell this way though I would instead go with Blair for Chicago at #16 and Budinger(or Thornton) at #26.

Bullsman24

Mr Metta World Peace
Liked Posts:
ty will fall

i'm not sure about terrence

i also don't think gani lawal will rise THAT much

Rose1

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you can't go wrong with either pick. Blair offers components you want in your team overall and BJ "That 70's show" Mullens offers some vital components we don't have in Tyrus and Joakim.

Rose1

Liked Posts:
bullsman24 wrote:
ty will fall

i'm not sure about terrence

i also don't think gani lawal will rise THAT much

you obviously haven't seen him play because one time this year Gani was ranked as inevitably top 10. Plus, you really don't know because i didn't think JJ Hickson would get drafted over Deandre Jordan lol!!!

ryguy24

Liked Posts:
Give me Budinger if he's actually there at 26.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I may not agree with all of your thoughts, but I really like the amount of thought you put into your opinions and that you have a well thought out opinion rather than following the herd or using groupthink.

Great job on both of your draft previews. I haven't extensively watched all the players, so I couldn't have put together a full fledged mock myself and felt good about it.

senrad

Liked Posts:
Nice work!

Couple of comments:

Nice Calathes is not like Kevin Ollie in any capacity IMO. He is much more than a game manager.

Who thinks TT and Noah should be in the D league? Not me.

JimmyBulls

Liked Posts:
i would be happy with mullens with the 16th pick. personally, i don't think any of the bigs are going to make a major impact. so i'll take the athletic seven foot project, and hope he develops his body and game.

i don't want ellington. that guy has a nice jumpshot, but he can't guard a folding chair. if the bulls draft danny green, they would get very good shooting as well as first class defense off the bench.

OnePointSeven

Liked Posts:
Nice work. The one thing I don't get is why the Suns would replace Nash with Flynn and not Lawson. Flynn dominates the ball and isn't as good of a playmaker as Lawson is. Not too mention that Lawson plays at the Suns' pace. IMO, Flynn and Barbosa doesn't work nearly as well as Lawson and Barbosa.

In any event, well thought out mock even if I disagree with many of the picks.