Passing Targets Based on Chiefs Offense

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah Windy's all sold on Nagy cloning Reid's system.
Post season boredom aside this requires far too many assumptions.

After 10 years in the same successful system, he isn’t coming here to reinvent everything.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I’m curious as to how much the PHI offense is similar to KC. It doesn’t seem like they have similar personnel at all at WR and RB. I like what PHI has done on offense.

Similar concepts.

They don’t go vertical as much in Philly, but they are so committed to RPOs that they ran them with Nick Foles who is 0 threat to run.

I actually think the use of Lagarette Blountis a good model for a similar system using a back who doesn’t catch a lot of passes.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think way too much is made with trying to mold the Bears personnel to be an exact replica of the Chiefs or Eagles offenses under Reid. First of all, Nagy is a different person. Obviously didn't call plays too much, therefore not likely that he had much say in the personnel. While I'm sure he'd love to have Charles, McCoy, Tyreke Hill and Travis Kelce; if he is anywhere near worth the hire he'll be able to adapt his offense to best fit whatever personnel he has. If Pace hired Nagy and he had any inkling that he wouldn't be able to maximize Meredith, Shaheen and Howard (as various people have suggested).....then they'll both be fired in a couple years never to work again in jobs at a level as high as they're at now.

He will 100% use the guys you mentioned. They are young, cheap and talented.

But when they are making decisions about NEW talent to bring in I am certain the system will play into it a lot.

As I said in my original post Shaheen will be the #1 TE, but I am not sure he is up for handling the work that the TE gets in this system in year 2. They need another pass catcher to handle some of the volume.

Meredith will more than likely be the best WR on the team. He will get the most targets, but he doesn’t strike me as a guy who is going to be targeted 150 times. You need 2 other guys to handle the volume. They need to be decent players. If the Bears has Julio Jones the # 3 WR would be lucky to get 40 targets.

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
Similar concepts.

They don’t go vertical as much in Philly, but they are so committed to RPOs that they ran them with Nick Foles who is 0 threat to run.

I actually think the use of Lagarette Blountis a good model for a similar system using a back who doesn’t catch a lot of passes.
Ajayi isn’t much of a receiving back either. The RPOs are definitely there because of Wentz. But they don’t have the quick and speedy WRs. They do have really good TE play though like KC.

Mjiton

Liked Posts:
After 10 years in the same successful system, he isn’t coming here to reinvent everything.

He has stated that in KC plays were offered up by a variety of ppl and if it was good they used it. This group will have a whole new set of ppl giving input. Meaning a lot of new ideas. Including Helfritch who I am sure will have a slew of ideas to offer up. With the sheer amount of new ideas on the board it could be that the plays look a lot different than KC.

Again it's all assumption.

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Similar concepts.

RPOs have nothing to do with the QB running the ball, the play is either handing the ball off or throwing.
People confuse it with the read option where the QB does run. I hope the Bears run a lot of RPO but very little of the read option

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Huxster

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
RPOs have nothing to do with the QB running the ball, the play is either handing the ball off or throwing.
People confuse it with the read option where the QB does run. I hope the Bears run a lot of RPO but very little of the read option

I hope the Bears run plenty of plays that work and very few that don't !

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
He will 100% use the guys you mentioned. They are young, cheap and talented.

But when they are making decisions about NEW talent to bring in I am certain the system will play into it a lot.

As I said in my original post Shaheen will be the #1 TE, but I am not sure he is up for handling the work that the TE gets in this system in year 2. They need another pass catcher to handle some of the volume.

Meredith will more than likely be the best WR on the team. He will get the most targets, but he doesn’t strike me as a guy who is going to be targeted 150 times. You need 2 other guys to handle the volume. They need to be decent players. If the Bears has Julio Jones the # 3 WR would be lucky to get 40 targets.
Agree with all of that. But people are suggesting that Howard may have a diminished role and someone said they might not tender Meredith because he is tiny and fast. Just silly.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Agree with all of that. But people are suggesting that Howard may have a diminished role and someone said they might not tender Meredith because he is tiny and fast. Just silly.

That is crazy. Young, cheap, and talented are obviously going to be kept. Meredith has prett insane explosion numbers to go with a decent 40. His explosive and change of direction skills are better than Kevin White.

-I actually think that Ertz is a better physical comparison for Shaheen than Kelce. My guess is they will use more of the routes that Ertz runs in Philly than Kelce who is a freak athlete. The Eagles also use Burton, who the. Ears can sign, for more of the deep work.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
That is crazy. Young, cheap, and talented are obviously going to be kept. Meredith has prett insane explosion numbers to go with a decent 40. His explosive and change of direction skills are better than Kevin White.

-I actually think that Ertz is a better physical comparison for Shaheen than Kelce. My guess is they will use more of the routes that Ertz runs in Philly than Kelce who is a freak athlete. The Eagles also use Burton, who the. Ears can sign, for more of the deep work.
Yeah. The Burton move would make a lot of sense. Chiefs liked to run a lot of empty sets. But they used Kelce and the RB out wide. Obviously Howard and Shaheen don't really fit that spread look, but Cohen and a guy like Burton would be ideal in that situation. Burton also is an excellent blocker on WR screen type plays that failed with Cohen so bad last year.

There's still plenty of snaps in the base for Howard and Shaheen.

But I think you saw both Philly and Jacksonville use an offense similar to what the Bears will do next year. They'll just constantly play matchups. Pass out of 2 TE sets or with a FB in the backfield, because the defense won't be equipped personnel wise to handle that. Run out of 4 wide against a nickel or dime D. Take advantage of deep shots when the D gives single or 0 coverage looks. Target Cohen and Shaheen vs LBs. Crossers against man coverage.

I think that's just basic stuff that Loggains was either not allowed or not capable of. They're in actual innovation in the plays and the Bears don't have a ton to go to be a respectable offense.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Yeah. The Burton move would make a lot of sense. Chiefs liked to run a lot of empty sets. But they used Kelce and the RB out wide. Obviously Howard and Shaheen don't really fit that spread look, but Cohen and a guy like Burton would be ideal in that situation. Burton also is an excellent blocker on WR screen type plays that failed with Cohen so bad last year.

There's still plenty of snaps in the base for Howard and Shaheen.

But I think you saw both Philly and Jacksonville use an offense similar to what the Bears will do next year. They'll just constantly play matchups. Pass out of 2 TE sets or with a FB in the backfield, because the defense won't be equipped personnel wise to handle that. Run out of 4 wide against a nickel or dime D. Take advantage of deep shots when the D gives single or 0 coverage looks. Target Cohen and Shaheen vs LBs. Crossers against man coverage.

I think that's just basic stuff that Loggains was either not allowed or not capable of. They're in actual innovation in the plays and the Bears don't have a ton to go to be a respectable offense.

Oh and RPOs. RPOs are really simple single reads for the QB. Offense doesn't have to be difficult.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no size discrimination in the Chiefs offense. Big, small doesn’t matter as long as you are an explosive athlete.

There is a slow/unexplosive discrimation for sure.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Oh and RPOs. RPOs are really simple single reads for the QB. Offense doesn't have to be difficult.

Loggains was horrendous in terms of matchups.

I think Shaheen will be fine. I think cutting some weight will help him move a little better. I would use him outside a ton and let him assault CBs off the snap. The Eagles use Ertz very similarly to Kelce, minus about 5 yards per route and some vertical seam stuff.

Howard will lose some carries to Cohen, because we need to keep defenses honest. We can’t have them go dime as soon as Cohen checks in. But I don’t see it digging to far into Howard touches, Cohen should take all of Benny’s snaps.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

With Trubisky they will be hand off, run yourself, or pass.

If you have a QB who can really run the play almost becomes undefendanle without a great individual effort.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I love the idea of a twins set, motion Cohen out to make that side, run off the corner and safety with vertical routes and let Cohen work again the LB underneath.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I love the idea of a twins set, motion Cohen out to make that side, run off the corner and safety with vertical routes and let Cohen work again the LB underneath.

That is essentially the offense in its most basic form.

The concept is West Coast, easier throws with maximum YAC, with the spread game mixed into the route concepts, the run game, and the vertical speed element.