Pat Mahomes breakdown

Noonthirtyjoe

Liked Posts:
Trubs and Mahomes and Watson will always be compared because they were drafted the same year. No way to stop it. As long as Trubs is a good QB I don't care who is better.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
Baker Mayfield looks like a five year vet, only one start but the kid can ball.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There was really no indication coming out of college on what has become Patrick Mahomes' strength (aside from his huge arm): Reading and recognizing defenses both before the snap and during an actual play and adjusting on the fly.

Many but not all of the "I told you so" people were not seeing that from Mahomes in college, no matter what they say now. Because he really didn't do that in college.

Some guys just have the brain and natural know-how to quickly mentally and intellectually adjust to such things and to pick up quickly how to process and adjust to defenses on the fly. It's really not something that showed up much in the Texas Tech tapes, but then again, it wouldn't.

There was every indication that he'd be a project Jay Cutler-lite type----huge arm gunslinger who had success in college and is not lacking in confidence. His footwork was (and continues to be often times) atrocious. Pre-Snap Reads had a really good analysis of him (and all the other quarterbacks) before the 2017 NFL Draft.

After the first few games, I thought, "Damn, this guy ended up at just the right location with just the right coach and just the right talent around him. He wouldn't be having huge success just about anywhere else." After a couple more games now, though, and really looking at each of his plays, this dude's got it. He's the real deal. And I too was wrong---He has the brain and the eye-to-mind quick recognition to become a quick study and adjust on the fly, to the detriment of whatever defense he's playing against. If Andy Reid saw that somehow prior to the draft, good on him. He's obviously a bigger QB guru than anyone here.

The things we're waiting on with Trubisky---staying calm in the pocket, reading defenses pre-snap and during a play and adjusting, recognizing defensive setups and reacting accordingly, going through multiple progressions and recognizing who's open and who's *going to be* open----Mahomes already does those things. Doesn't mean Trubisky can't learn and get better at those things...but some guys just have it. Mahomes has it.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If he's right, it's because he's had a good roll of the dice. Never cared for this meatball. Some of us always liked Mahomes. This guy did not, gave the Chiefs crap over the pick and just doesn't get it. Who doesn't like Mahomes now?

I never thought Mahomes could run an efficient offense in the NFL, just the occasional splash play. In the first 3 weeks of the season, he proved me wrong. And then on Monday he showed that when the offensive scheme is shut down by the opposing defense, he could still find a way to beat it on his very own. It looks like he’s gonna be a very special player.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I never thought Mahomes could run an efficient offense in the NFL, just the occasional splash play. In the first 3 weeks of the season, he proved me wrong. And then on Monday he showed that when the offensive scheme is shut down by the opposing defense, he could still find a way to beat it on his very own. It looks like he’s gonna be a very special player.

Yes it does. I didn't didn't know if he could or couldn't run an NFL O coming out but I did know it would take at least a year to find out and that's true of almost all QBs. I felt his arm talent was worth the risk but understood that he could have had a ceiling of Stafford which is not bad but good enough to tease the fuck out of you without ever delivering the bacon.

Thing is, Mitch didn't run a Pro O either so really, you look at their skill set and test their retention and processing and roll the dice. That Air raid O had a bad rap for delivering players to the NFL but really it was evaluator error. Now we have Mahomes and Mayfield looking good and it's because they were better evaluated and of course, those teams got lucky, LOL. QB evaluation is hard. That some 'experts' will automatically dismiss players from that system is a disservice.