Peanut Retired

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
:aj:

Holy shit.

If you can understand his post, he meant from a FF perspective based on position.

Tillman has about twice as many FFs as Woodson which is his closest competitor from a position standpoint.........

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
You might not be impressed, but it is becoming more relevant with the media and stat tracking. As I mentioned, Elias really holds the key and people who vote on the Hall of Fame. FFs weren't really talked about much until Tillman. He really helped put the stat on the map. It isn't enough, as it stands, to get him into the Hall however.

Again, it becoming an official stat or not won't make me any more or less impressed by the number. It's kind of a trivial factoid even now that it's being tracked. It still will never be as important as INTs or Fumbles recovered. I'd argue it's not even as important as sacks.

Ares

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
FT why you h8ing on Tillman.... he was the GOATest of all time GOAT Cover-2 CB

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Quit hating on Peanut! GOATest of all time GOAT Cover 2 CB!

PEANUT PUNCH FOREVER!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Again, it becoming an official stat or not won't make me any more or less impressed by the number. It's kind of a trivial factoid even now that it's being tracked. It still will never be as important as INTs or Fumbles recovered. I'd argue it's not even as important as sacks.

Why do you think it is trivial? Do you find it is more a product of being opportunistic due to bad running?

I don't think it is one of the most important stats, but I think it does hold some value.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:

I would argue the individual fumble recovered stat is more luck than actually forcing the fumble in the first place. The fumble only happens because of the forced fumble.

Fumble recovery is more luck than anything else. There are too many factors on how the ball bounces after it hits the ground. I believe there have been some number studies that showed the pure randomness of recovery.

However, there is an interesting article here which type of forced fumbles are more important. Down the field forced fumbles have a much higher, documented tendency to go towards the defense which is where the lion's share of Tillman's forced fumbles probably were.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I would argue the individual fumble recovered stat is more luck than actually forcing the fumble in the first place. The fumble only happens because of the forced fumble.
Ok..but the fumble recovery is more important.

That's all that was said.

Fumble recovery is more luck than anything else.
Cool story. It's still more important than the forced fumble.

, documented tendency to go towards the defense which is where the lion's share of Tillman's forced fumbles probably were.
Cool story. How many of Tillman's fumbles were turnovers?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Because it's entirely outcome dependent. It's not really a clean number. If it doesn't generate a turnover a forced fumble is pretty meaningless.

I get that. It's one of those attributes that is nice to have. The more you can force, the more turnovers you should make for your team.

I thought that the 44 forced fumbles Tillman had were recovered by the defense. I was wrong but I wonder how many of those led to turnovers? Roughly half most likely? So if he had 22 leading to turnovers and 12 recoveries, he could have had as many as 34 turnovers from fumbles (although probably less as some of those would be him recovering his own forced fumble).

It's an impressive stat, nonetheless.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/T/TillCh20.htm

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Because it's entirely outcome dependent. It's not really a clean number. If it doesn't generate a turnover a forced fumble is pretty meaningless.

so what you are saying is that if player A hits someone or sticks his hand in and forces the ball out and it happens to hit the ground at the right angle at the feet of some random player B you are going to credit the player that happened to get lucky....

Player B doesn't recover the fumble unless Player A makes it happen. The ball is up for grabs but none of it happens without the player forcing the fumble.

I think you are being intellectually disingenuous. It is ok to recognize just how good Tillman was and how lucky another player, Major Wright for example, was at being at the right place at the right time.

I don't think many people here are arguing for Tillman's Hall appointment.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cool story. It's still more important than the forced fumble.

Cool story. How many of Tillman's fumbles were turnovers?

A. I disagree on an individual effort that the recovery is more important than the act of causing the fumble, which has been the crux of this discussion.

B. I don't have the stats on that as fumble recovery, as I have pointed out, is more luck than skill.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
so what you are saying is that if player A hits someone or sticks his hand in and forces the ball out and it happens to hit the ground at the right angle at the feet of some random player B you are going to credit the player that happened to get lucky....

OMG, you're dense. No, what I'm saying is the actual act of getting the turnover is more important than creating a possible chance at a turnover.

I'm not advocating for the NFL leader in fumble recoveries to go into the HOF, but talking about it from a strictly on the field "value" point.

I think you are being intellectually disingenuous.
I think you're being intellectually bankrupt.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A. I disagree on an individual effort that the recovery is more important than the act of causing the fumble,
Then you're football Special person.

Getting a turnover over>>>>>>>>Not getting a turnover.

B. I don't have the stats on that as fumble recovery.
Ok cool, then shut up.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
OMG, you're dense. No, what I'm saying is the actual act of getting the turnover is more important than creating a possible chance at a turnover.

I'm not advocating for the NFL leader in fumble recoveries to go into the HOF, but talking about it from a strictly on the field "value" point.

I think you're being intellectually bankrupt.

If want to discuss what it means from a team standpoint sure turnovers are king, however the whole discussion has been around individual effort and the Hall of Fame. Stop pretending it hasn't.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then you're football Special person.

Getting a turnover over>>>>>>>>Not getting a turnover.

Ok cool, then shut up.

Since you have lost the argument on individual effort which was the point of this, I see you are trying to change the argument to your dumb-assed comment....

Its ok to admit you were wrong.