Perspective.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
In light of Mitch's "bad" game yesterday I figured a trip down memory lane might offer some much needed perspective...

Dec. 20, 2009 - Ravens 31, Bears 7: Cutler goes 10 of 27 for 94 yards, three interceptions, and no touchdowns leading to a career-worst passer rating of 7.9. It was the worst passer rating of the season by a quarterback with at least 20 attempts.

Sept. 13, 2012 - Packers 23, Bears 10: Cutler completed just 11 of his 27 attempts for 126 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions. He was also sacked seven times. Two Cutler picks led directly to 10 Packers points.

Nov. 12, 2009 - 49ers 10, Bears 6: Cutler manages to throw for over 300 yards, complete 56 percent his passes, not get sacked, and yet still lose. How? Well instead of throwing touchdowns he threw for a career-high five interceptions including one that led to San Francisco’s only touchdown and then another in the end zone to end the game.

Nov. 13, 2016 - Buccaneers 36, Bears 10: Cutler goes 16 of 30 for 182 yards, and a 55.1 rating. First was the lovely first-quarter interception to Brent Grimes, followed one pass later by a pick-six, lobbed awkwardly to former teammate Chris Conte. Then there were Cutler's two lost fumbles — one inside the Bucs 10-yard line, the other for a safety. Mixed in was an ill-fated shovel pass to Paul Lasike that sent him crashing onto the back of Kyle Long's right leg for a season-ending ankle injury. Awesome.

Nov. 15, 2014: Saints 31, Bears 15: The game I threw in the towel on Cutler. As a miserable season circled the toilet bowl, the Bears gave a "Monday Night Football" audience a night to forget. 19 of 31 for 194 yards 2 touchdowns and 3 of the worst interceptions I've ever seen for a rating of 55.8. Meanwhile Drew Brees puts on a QB clinic going 29 of 36 for 375 yards, 3 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, 137.8 rating.

Honorable mentions:

* Debut game vs Packers in 2009: 17 of 36 for 277 yards, 1 touchdown, 4 interceptions and 43.2 rating. Clearly a sign of things to come.
* The DeAngelo Hall 4 interception game: 26 of 40 for 281 yards, 1 touchdown , 4 interceptions to Hall for a 54.3 rating.

I'll leave you with this gem...

cutlerwat.0.gif

This is what "bad" actually is folks. Mitch certainly wasn't great yesterday but let's try and have some perspective eh. He's not going to have some perfectly linear progression, there are going to be ups and downs as he develops. When he starts completely shitting the bed like Cutler did it's time to panic. Until then just relax and enjoy the season.

redgrange19

Eater of Ham
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
My brain blocked out many of these. I remember the 49ers game, I believe he threw an interception to a nose tackle in the redzone. Great times.

Broc

well baked
Donator
Liked Posts:
My brain blocked out many of these. I remember the 49ers game, I believe he threw an interception to a nose tackle in the redzone. Great times.

Yup, 1:40 mark of this video:
[video=youtube_share;E7_duxRMIh0]https://youtu.be/E7_duxRMIh0[/video]

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
What could we get for Mitch and Floyd in a trade?

jc456

Liked Posts:
Yup, 1:40 mark of this video:
[video=youtube_share;E7_duxRMIh0]https://youtu.be/E7_duxRMIh0[/video]

I threw up in my own mouth after watching that.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
There's not much perspective around here. I think Mitch is going to be a damn good player. I can't believe with the garbage this team has had at QB that Bear fans have an issue with him at this point. He's thrown 11 TDs with 3 picks and ran in a TD too in the last three weeks but he's a bust or not good enough at this stage. Bear fans are flat out crazy.

They should have won last week because of him. He put them up seven after a horrific call led to a 15 point swing. My god, the defense needed one stop with three minutes and change left to ice it.

He and the offense did enough to win yesterday and with a little support from the defense and special teams, they win easily.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
All I want is us to be accurate and honest in our assessment of Mitch's game.

He was mediocre and inefficient, but hard to call 414 yards and 3 TDs bad.

Are we this desperate for stats now that we're including rushing yards and hail marys?

Forget the stats, look at the game and watch the inaccuracy.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Years of talking about how overrated Matt Stafford is because of gaudy numbers, saying how we should ignore his stats and look at how he fails in games in crucial moments. Now that stats are literally the only thing making Trubisky look good, everything is all about the yards. We're even including rushing yards.

I love CCS.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Years of talking about how overrated Matt Stafford is because of gaudy numbers, saying how we should ignore his stats and look at how he fails in games in crucial moments. Now that stats are literally the only thing making Trubisky look good, everything is all about the yards. We're even including rushing yards.

I love CCS.

How did he fail late in Miami?

Did he give up two special team scores yesterday? Did he give the Pats two crucial first downs when everyone in the stadium knew they were running the ball on their last drive? With that, he moved them into position to get off one final throw for the tie. He hit White at the one and he could have easily scored.

You predicted they were going to get hammered and score only 14 points. They put up 31 and Trubisky didn't come close to having his best day.

He's had 6 starts in a new offense with teammates that are learning it too. Maybe we should think about starting Chase Daniel? I mean, he really knows the offense.

The statement I highlighted above is your opinion. Considering some of your football takes around here, I'd stay off the record a bit more.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[video=youtube;51iohb6sOS8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iohb6sOS8[/video]

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are we this desperate for stats now that we're including rushing yards and hail marys?

Forget the stats, look at the game and watch the inaccuracy.

The rushing yards are part of his production. He should not be punished because most QBs cannot run.

The hail marry counts, it was a completed pass, that almost tied the game.

The numbers are the numbers, that is what makes them beautiful, and if he had made all the throws he would have gotten credit for those as well. He didn't so he does not get credit for them.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I love CCS.

When did he fail?

He was not good against the Patriots and contributed to the loss, even thought they put up 31 points.

The only game he failed and cost the team was GB.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Just so everyone is aware,

-A rushing yard counts for the exact same distance as a passing yard.
-Rushing TDs count for 6 points the same as a passing TD.

fantasy football community be like:

tenor.gif

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Let’s just look at his numbers as his numbers. It is the only way that we can objectively make comparisons. We cannot go back and apply different contexts to other QBs numbers, so it is bias to do it to his.

He wasn’t good enough on Sunday, despite being very productive.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Whether we want to admit it or not stats are the most objective way to judge production in anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
Man, I was at the 12 November 2009 game. Was at candlestick park on a Thursday night game. Painful. Almost got into a fight with some rude ass 49er fans.

Was Crabtree’s first game after ending his holdout.

I remember Bears had a chance to come back in the 4th and Cutler snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

I love CCS.

Problem is, it was you and I and others that were saying that Stafford was better than Cutler, siting those stats, and the Cutler fanboys saying the stats don't tell the story. Now it appears that you are the one saying the stats don't matter.

Last edited: