PFF: Bears should trade up for Justin Fields

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
Is there any more risk with Fields this year than there will be with anyone who is available in ‘22 or ‘23? I’d say no. Actually, maybe slightly less.

Further, taking a tier two guy this year is likely to be a wasted pick so that puts us right back here in ‘22 anyway. And as I posted earlier, the cost of trading up won’t change.
I’m not saying they shouldn’t make moves for Fields, the question is when, this year or next year.

I don’t think a 2nd tier guy in the 2nd would be a wasted pick. Take Davis Mills for example. He has all the tools, just no experience. If it clicks, great. He takes over next year. If not you have a good backup on a rookie contract and you can still make a move next year.

The Bears stocking up on QBs through the draft consistently would be a nice change.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I actually agree with Steven A Smith: if Bears are going to pay a kings ransom to get a rookie QB - I think its better to do it next year because instead of getting the 4th best QB prospect you could get the 1st or 2nd best next year. Also in a perfect world Pace and/or Nagy are gone but with this ownership who fuckin knows. The window on the current iteration of the Bears is already shut, there's not really a rush anymore outside of "how much more can the fanbase stomach bad football"?

I agree in pretty much every other year. But Fields has been a thoroughbred since he was the #1 recruit coming out of high school and has produced since.

With Lawrence being generational talent, Zach Wilson, and Fields this class is stacked af. In every other year Fields is consensus QB1 or QB2.

I personally love Zach Wilson but I’d be hard pressed to take him over Fields due to pedigree and resume’. His floor is high due to athleticism and cannon and his ceiling is MVP level stuff.

Im all in on Fields.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
I actually agree with Steven A Smith: if Bears are going to pay a kings ransom to get a rookie QB - I think its better to do it next year because instead of getting the 4th best QB prospect you could get the 1st or 2nd best next year. Also in a perfect world Pace and/or Nagy are gone but with this ownership who fuckin knows. The window on the current iteration of the Bears is already shut, there's not really a rush anymore outside of "how much more can the fanbase stomach bad football"?
Not that i want them to make this move but is Fields as the 4th best prospect better than the 1st or 2nd next year? That's the real question.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Not that i want them to make this move but is Fields as the 4th best prospect better than the 1st or 2nd next year? That's the real question.

It's even arguable he's the 4th best prospect, after Lawrence we don't know who teams favor. Fields could easily be #2 on some teams boards.

Either way, he's got a lot more upside than Mac Jones. Shit, he has more upside than Howell, which is the #1 pick next year.

I would 100% be down to trade up to get the guy #4. He would be the level of QB prospect this organization has never had enter this building. Obviously he has his flaws, but if nagy is the qb guru he thinks he is he should be able to fix them and make him a star.

Honestly feel like if San Fran takes Mac Jones over Fields it will end up being the Mitch over Watson of this draft. Hopefully pace is the one pulling off the steal, tho.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
If every athletic, strong armed QB without pocket presence is going to scare you away, you'll never like any QB. Fields is nothing like Trubisky as a prospect. And those traits and issues are ideal traits you want in a QB and those issues are typical issues from a college QB.

Most athletic strong-armed QBs fail in the NFL.

I'm not against having an athletic, strong-armed quarterback but that alone as traits is probably why most quarterbacks fail and most teams get it wrong.

START with a quarterback who reacts well under pressure and sees the whole field, as well as can diagnose a blitz and beat it regularly.

Then, any athletic gifts they have after that is a bonus.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
I agree in pretty much every other year. But Fields has been a thoroughbred since he was the #1 recruit coming out of high school and has produced since.

With Lawrence being generational talent, Zach Wilson, and Fields this class is stacked af. In every other year Fields is consensus QB1 or QB2.

I personally love Zach Wilson but I’d be hard pressed to take him over Fields due to pedigree and resume’. His floor is high due to athleticism and cannon and his ceiling is MVP level stuff.

Im all in on Fields.
I used the term "4th best qb" over Fields because I dont believe Fields will be the 4th QB taken. I believe he will be drafted earlier, and that massive trade up would be for Mac Jones. I don't believe Mac Jones is a better prospect than 1st or 2nd QB in next years draft, although that obviously depends on how the 2021 college season goes.

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I used the term "4th best qb" over Fields because I dont believe Fields will be the 4th QB taken. I believe he will be drafted earlier, and that massive trade up would be for Mac Jones. I don't believe Mac Jones is a better prospect than 1st or 2nd QB in next years draft, although that obviously depends on how the 2021 college season goes.

yeah no thanks on a trade for Mac and Lance.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
yeah no thanks on a trade for Mac and Lance.
Yep agree, no thank you to three first-round picks (2021, 2022 and 2023), a second-rounder, a third-rounder and some extra, late-round change like a sixth-rounder for Mac or Lance.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
That’s a foolishness to look at it. The only thing that matters is: is this guy “the one” we think can be a franchise QB? Doesn’t matterbb B if he’s the 1st QB off the board, or the 30th...

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You either have a QB or you don’t.

Everything else is just treading water. Get the QB, then worry about how you will maintain the rest of the roster.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
It's even arguable he's the 4th best prospect, after Lawrence we don't know who teams favor. Fields could easily be #2 on some teams boards.

Either way, he's got a lot more upside than Mac Jones. Shit, he has more upside than Howell, which is the #1 pick next year.

I would 100% be down to trade up to get the guy #4. He would be the level of QB prospect this organization has never had enter this building. Obviously he has his flaws, but if nagy is the qb guru he thinks he is he should be able to fix them and make him a star.

Honestly feel like if San Fran takes Mac Jones over Fields it will end up being the Mitch over Watson of this draft. Hopefully pace is the one pulling off the steal, tho.
Howell has no upside...

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
That’s a foolishness to look at it. The only thing that matters is: is this guy “the one” we think can be a franchise QB? Doesn’t matterbb B if he’s the 1st QB off the board, or the 30th...
Nah at some point you have to take in to account expected ROI, if you are pumping that many resources into 1 player (3 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 6th) he has to be HOF level to be worth the cost. You also have to take into account the % chance your evaluation of the player is wrong, otherwise you trade up to draft Trubisky and ruin the window of the team you built.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
This team is trending in the wrong direction - if Fields is there at 4 and Pace makes a move for him I'll be skeptical, but not upset. If he turns into a franchise guy, the team is set at the QB position for a decade. Hit on a few mid round picks, couple good FA signings and they are in the mix for 2-3 years until they get first rounders back and can keep adding pieces. Super Bowl. Easy peasy

Visionman

Liked Posts:
Nah at some point you have to take in to account expected ROI, if you are pumping that many resources into 1 player (3 1sts, 1 2nd, 1 3rd, 1 6th) he has to be HOF level to be worth the cost. You also have to take into account the % chance your evaluation of the player is wrong, otherwise you trade up to draft Trubisky and ruin the window of the team you built.
No to your first point. You make the trade if you really believe he’s the guy you want. Not only if he’s a generational guy.

But I agree on the 2nd part. That’s why I said you don’t make the trade unless you believe he’s your guy. No I hope it works out...

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Most athletic strong-armed QBs fail in the NFL.

I'm not against having an athletic, strong-armed quarterback but that alone as traits is probably why most quarterbacks fail and most teams get it wrong.

START with a quarterback who reacts well under pressure and sees the whole field, as well as can diagnose a blitz and beat it regularly.

Then, any athletic gifts they have after that is a bonus.

Fields is fearless in the pocket which is why he may hold the ball longer than you might like, but it pays off in his ability to convert on 3rd and 4th down.

He effectively operated the system at Ohio. He wasn’t out there freelancing every play or anything. From what I’ve read Ohio runs a more complex system than Clemson, BYU, even Alabama.

Fields doesn’t just have a strong arm, he’s very accurate and sets his receivers up for easy YAC

Which is why SF will take him at 3.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
No to your first point. You make the trade if you really believe he’s the guy you want. Not only if he’s a generational guy.

But I agree on the 2nd part. That’s why I said you don’t make the trade unless you believe he’s your guy. No I hope it works out...

I'm guessing you are speaking more in generalities and less about the specific example in this thread, but if you miss on a trade of 3 1sts, a 2nd, a 3rd, and a 5th/6th for 1 player - youve crippled your franchise for 5 years, and probably handicapped it for a full decade. Even if that guy becomes a Baker Mayfield or Matt Stafford level guy, which isnt a terrible result for 1st round QBs, thats still a terrible return on resources because of the crazy amount of capital youve pumped in to get him. Trading that much value into 1 player is basically playing reverse russian roullette where there is only 1 empty chamber, and I dont think you can run proffessional sports franchises by taking gambles where the risk of failure is so high and penalties are as severe as the one in this article.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
Exactly. This is a weird year with so many high caliber QB prospects. Most people say Fields would be a #1 overall caliber QB in a lot of other years.

There's also a ton of other reasons not to try and wait:
1. You can't count on being so awful next year you get pick #1 or #2. The Bears have shown no stomach for tanking and that's basically what you have to do to to be bad enough to get one of those top slots.
2. You can't count on the teams who do end up at #1 or #2 are ever going to be willing to trade those picks if there's potential franchise guys there at QB
3. If you make the move to draft the guy this year and you get an entire season to develop and evaluate him before next years draft. If you wait another year, now its 2022/2023 before you actually know if that guy can be the guy.
4. You can always dangle this guy in a trade next year to move up for a higher potential QB prospect does come available if you think the guy you took this year can play but you aren't sure whether he can be a top 10 QB (like the Dolphins have been with Tua).

It's always better to swing big for a QB now rather than wait unless your roster is so horrible you're going to David Carr him.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Exactly. This is a weird year with so many high caliber QB prospects. Most people say Fields would be a #1 overall caliber QB in a lot of other years.

There's also a ton of other reasons not to try and wait:
1. You can't count on being so awful next year you get pick #1 or #2. The Bears have shown no stomach for tanking and that's basically what you have to do to to be bad enough to get one of those top slots.
2. You can't count on the teams who do end up at #1 or #2 are ever going to be willing to trade those picks if there's potential franchise guys there at QB
3. If you make the move to draft the guy this year and you get an entire season to develop and evaluate him before next years draft. If you wait another year, now its 2022/2023 before you actually know if that guy can be the guy.
4. You can always dangle this guy in a trade next year to move up for a higher potential QB prospect does come available if you think the guy you took this year can play but you aren't sure whether he can be a top 10 QB (like the Dolphins have been with Tua).

It's always better to swing big for a QB now rather than wait unless your roster is so horrible you're going to David Carr him.
All fair points. Typically id be all for it but i just hate Pace so much. I hate the idea of him getting another go at this and throwing that much value at a QB who for all we know might not pan out, with Pace potentially not being around for it either. I'm just in a weird state of limbo with this team. If it were a new GM i'd say have a day.

Mdbearz

Liked Posts:
Casserly has Fields going 25th to Steelers

Cassley seems to think that Fields is going to slip to 25, and the Bears are going to take Newsome and pass on Fields....

I would actually be piss.... We could take Fields and not give up a damn thing...WTF!!