PFN: Top Remaining Free Agents

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am on board with discount shopping for some depth. We have not had a lot of picks in the last 3 years and we need help on the backend of the roster.

I am not spending any 2022 cap space. That is am important year and those resources should be protected.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
It is hard to replace the production of Graham, but if they could cut him and pick up a Vet CB like Breeland and a TE like Eifert or James.
But with Leno gone, I guess he is safe for this year. Hope Dalton/Fields get him involved a lot in the RedZone.
Read one article that said the Bears can get the money they need changing Quinn's contract salary to bonus.

Last edited:

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Feel like some team is going to pay Leno like $3M to be their backup LT and be really happy with the player they get. Bears were hoping and paying him to play at a level we now see he couldnt sustain, but he can still provide a lot of value in the NFL as a low cost bandaid or backup.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Read one article that said the Bears can get the money they need changing Quinn's contract salary to bonus.
No, we need to be able to cut him with out hurting future years.

2021 is not the focus. 2022 is.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I've come to the conclusion that I don't care about any of these FAs anymore. Unless they are willing to sign Fisher for a multi-year deal to get a future LT at a bargain price, I'm not really interested. Like was said, it's about 2022 and beyond. The Bears aren't going to win the Superbowl this year, even if Justin Fields has the best rookie season ever (Chargers were bad w/ Herbert having best rookie season). You gotta still keep Fields (and others) safe and not get embarrassed on the field, but they probably are also in a position where they aren't going to be top 10 bad either.

I'm fine with the guys they have now that don't figure into the future (Hicks, maybe Ifedi, Trevathan, Trufant, Quinn) but they need to gradually give reps to the young guys that at least have a chance to be here beyond 2021. I have no interest in most of these 1-year deal guys over 28 for that reason.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Even if Quinn gets healthy and Desai uses him correctly, his age is a hindrance in 2022. Don't want to commit to him beyond this year.

vanavyman

Liked Posts:
Looks like the Bears don't want to cut Hicks or Graham or are waiting for a trade offer. DT was thin during the draft and Big TD scoring TEs with experience don't grow on trees , maybe they want a 22 pick for each one of them.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Even if Quinn gets healthy and Desai uses him correctly, his age is a hindrance in 2022. Don't want to commit to him beyond this year.

To be fair, a restructure doesn't mean a commitment beyond this year. Quinn is going to get his money anyway. As it stands now, Quinn is going to make 14.7M this year. He's very likely going to be a June 1 cut designation after 2021. So, you're looking at 3.1M dead cap in 2022 and 2023 and almost 13M saved. If you restructure his base salary this year, you can save like 8Mil and spread an extra 4Mil each over 2022 and 2023. While it's not ideal to eat over 7M for 2 straight years, if the Bears somehow find themselves in contention and need some extra cap room, eating that money is more ideal than Quinn actually playing for the team for 16M. And it's less than they ate (per year) to get rid of Kyle Fuller, who's a far superior football player.

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
Makes me happy to have Dalton. Unrelated but will be interesting to see what happens to Foles. Pace is probably waiting for a QB to go down. :shifty: Doubt Bears participate in FA until cuts.
future starting QB for the Houston Texans