2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
Not thrilled.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
Trading off spare parts- not that surprising - they must be very high on TT over on the Jokers.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
I'm surprised they didn't wait until draft day to pull a deal like this off - Pirri would have been a nice insurance policy for the end of the year. However, it should be noted that there were reports that Pirri asked for a trade a few weeks ago. Could have forced the Blackhawks' hand a bit.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
This just might be one move that they will regret....third & a Fifth isn't much for a skilled player even one with defensive liabilities.

Unless he needed those picks to make another deal........

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I guess this is Q's way of saying that the never thought Pirri was going to develop enough defensively to be trusted within his system.

It's a weird move. I do think, as pointed out by southerncross, that this a rather high endorsement of Teuvo. I'd been thinking that his Hawks debut wasn't going to come until next season but this makes me think it's going to be in about one month.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I'd love to ask Q what he sees in TT that makes him trustworthy where Pirri was not.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
I'd love to ask Q what he sees in TT that makes him trustworthy where Pirri was not.

Well, at the World Juniors back in late December/early January, Teuvo was playing on the penalty kill for Finland which would lead you to believe he has, at least, some grasp of defensive responsibility and perhaps a better one than Pirri.

nwfisch

Hall of Famer
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Minnesota United FC
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
In Bowman I trust.

This trade won't prevent the Hawks from repeating IMO. Pirri had his moments as a legit 2C, but I'm excited for what TT will bring to the US.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
In Bowman I trust.

This trade won't prevent the Hawks from repeating IMO. Pirri had his moments as a legit 2C, but I'm excited for what TT will bring to the US.

Because it wasn't happening anyway :smug:

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

It might actually be one of those - couldn't possibly be any worse situations (which isn't to say I thought Pirri was that bad -but it is more along the lines of Pirri was not what they were looking for -and if TT isn't either, technically speaking you just moved a salary. I don't think it is that big of a deal really -in that basically the moved a not really proven commodity. I doubt you were going to get much for the guy -and if he asked for a trade -then move him. He ought to fit in with Florida -they got a lot of the Rockford team down there.

I read somewhere (maybe here for all I can remember) that they were trying to get TT over -who knows -but why not, it is really sort of one of those bonus situations. The Hawks are really only playing for playoff positioning. I don't know that it matters so much if they get home ice advantage overall within the conference. They didn't have it in 2010.

The other thing is that you guys are right -there is no real knowing what, if anything TT can do - I know that there was a lot of unfounded speculative talk about Krueger being an offensive force because he was back in Europe. He hasn't been able to do much of that in the NHL -which isn't to say that that he is not a legitimate NHL player- because the kid is an excellent defensive centre.

..and on the other... other hand - in (I think) 1988 the Blues were crapping themselves trying to get this kid the Hawks had on their roster disqualified from being eligible to play in the playoffs (or I sort of remember this) -something about junior eligibility or something like that ... that kid was Roenick. So who knows... it would be nice if it all works out.

)and then on the other other other hand- I know I read a lot of bull (and heard it over here) which basically was talking about Crosby being the successor to Gretzky - and he isn't really that at all. A nice player, but - well yeah not exactly that threatening -and certainly not nearly as dominating as 99 was. Actually - I would say that from what I saw at Soldier Field the other night - Crosby couldn't dream of carrying Savard's jock strap let alone having delusions of Gretzkydom (NHL marketing notwithstanding.).

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Not a bad trade for the Hawks. Getting two draft picks for a guy who hasn't proven anything at the NHL level is a pretty good return, IMO. It also appeared that Pirri was not going to get a chance of playing in the top 6 here in Chicago so it was best for both parties to move on. Pirri will of course get an opportunity down in Florida, but he will likely flame out because Florida is where careers go to die.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Not a bad trade for the Hawks. Getting two draft picks for a guy who hasn't proven anything at the NHL level is a pretty good return, IMO. It also appeared that Pirri was not going to get a chance of playing in the top 6 here in Chicago so it was best for both parties to move on. Pirri will of course get an opportunity down in Florida, but he will likely flame out because Florida is where careers go to die.

Pretty much spot-on here. At least the Hawks got a decent return if they were never going to use him.

Still wanted to see Pirri get one more shot with the big club, but ... oh well.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
It might actually be one of those - couldn't possibly be any worse situations (which isn't to say I thought Pirri was that bad -but it is more along the lines of Pirri was not what they were looking for -and if TT isn't either, technically speaking you just moved a salary. I don't think it is that big of a deal really -in that basically the moved a not really proven commodity. I doubt you were going to get much for the guy -and if he asked for a trade -then move him. He ought to fit in with Florida -they got a lot of the Rockford team down there.

I read somewhere (maybe here for all I can remember) that they were trying to get TT over -who knows -but why not, it is really sort of one of those bonus situations. The Hawks are really only playing for playoff positioning. I don't know that it matters so much if they get home ice advantage overall within the conference. They didn't have it in 2010.

The other thing is that you guys are right -there is no real knowing what, if anything TT can do - I know that there was a lot of unfounded speculative talk about Krueger being an offensive force because he was back in Europe. He hasn't been able to do much of that in the NHL -which isn't to say that that he is not a legitimate NHL player- because the kid is an excellent defensive centre.

..and on the other... other hand - in (I think) 1988 the Blues were crapping themselves trying to get this kid the Hawks had on their roster disqualified from being eligible to play in the playoffs (or I sort of remember this) -something about junior eligibility or something like that ... that kid was Roenick. So who knows... it would be nice if it all works out.

)and then on the other other other hand- I know I read a lot of bull (and heard it over here) which basically was talking about Crosby being the successor to Gretzky - and he isn't really that at all. A nice player, but - well yeah not exactly that threatening -and certainly not nearly as dominating as 99 was. Actually - I would say that from what I saw at Soldier Field the other night - Crosby couldn't dream of carrying Savard's jock strap let alone having delusions of Gretzkydom (NHL marketing notwithstanding.).

Glad you brought that up as it's been somewhat of a contention of mine for awhile now. Never said too much about it as I don't see a lot of his games, only his highlights which is probably reason to declare "too small a sample size". But in the full games I've seen him play, while he is a very good player....what am I missing about him being God's gift to the NHL? He was barely noticeable Saturday night as Toews' excellent game was the real eye catcher. I don't remember ever seeing a
game where Gretzky didn't catch your eye....whether he scored or not.

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:
One interesting aspect of this trade right now, versus in the summer, is that it opens up a contract spot. The Blackhawks have been and are close to the maximum amount of contracts allowed.

Some things to remember about this trade. Pirri supposedly requested a trade a few weeks ago. Pirri would have been exposed to waivers next year if he stuck around.

The return is "meh" but it seems like a fair one considering everything. I have been high on Pirri (toss Morin into this too) over the last year or two, but Pirri has shown his flaws when he plays against bigger and faster players in the NHL. Really exposed how big of a jump it can be from the AHL (where he has been a top point producer) to the NHL. He has some nice hands and slick moves with the puck, but it wasn't happening in the Blackhawks system.

DMelt36

Bolland > You
Liked Posts:
Also worth mentioning that it was Dale Tallon who drafted Brandon Pirri, not Stan Bowman. Seems like Bowman has been quicker to move guys that he didn't acquire/draft.

KBIB

Would like my account deleted
Liked Posts:
Glad you brought that up as it's been somewhat of a contention of mine for awhile now. Never said too much about it as I don't see a lot of his games, only his highlights which is probably reason to declare "too small a sample size". But in the full games I've seen him play, while he is a very good player....what am I missing about him being God's gift to the NHL? He was barely noticeable Saturday night as Toews' excellent game was the real eye catcher. I don't remember ever seeing a
game where Gretzky didn't catch your eye....whether he scored or not.
I think that has a lot to do with most in the NHL media having short term memories. Crosby will never be the player Gretzky was- ever. Gretzky was as intimidating as any coked up Probert with the luxury of not having to drop his gloves to prove it. There will never be another Gretzky no matter how much the spin doctors try and make the next great juniors player out to be. Remember Angelo Esposito? Of course you don't. He was the next Gretzky before he started believing his own hype and was nothing but a used up, broken player by the time he actually reached the NHL and was nothing but a throw in when the Pens acquired Hossa. The best player in the NHL is Toews. There is no doubt in my mind considering the guy refuses to lose and will do everything he can not to. That, imo, is a great player, beyond scoring a shit ton of secondary assists. Give me the guy who is on the same level as the best offensive players in the game, but plays so expertly smart as to not allow the other team from scoring and being insanely responsible in his own end and every stat sheet pundit can keep the scoring leaders for their loser team. I like Cups. I like getting shit faced during the summer down town with a whole bunch of marks who toss me free beers that I can inhale in front of them and make some sort of bond with if but for a few seconds. Fuck a scoring title if you aint putting those points in perspective.

As for the Pirri trade, I am shocked Bowman got that much for the guy. I like Brandon Pirri. He is a good guy. But he wasn't getting a shot here. I think this was Bowmans thank you to Dale for retaining Steegers salary, honestly. The thing is, Dale knows how to pick out a diamond in the rough sometimes. Hopefully Pirri becomes a solid player and not a 70 point guy playing second line minutes or many will be questioning this trade for years. This also makes me think TT is coming over in about three weeks time.

crumpet?

Capt. Serious

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Olsen/Hayes gets Steeger.
Pirri gets draft picks.

:enough: