Plant based diet in the NFL

Tater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'm going to Steak-n-shake for a double jalapeno burger shortly. I will think about this thread while enjoying it.

Just to follow up, it was great. Got a little forehead sweats from it.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
I thought about becoming Vegan, but then I decided to continue being a man and I grilled up a steak for dinner

Wintermute

Liked Posts:
191d5334399812aaceb0de8e5e5e3ab0.jpg

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I've got plenty of Dr reports saying that I'm good eating a pound of bacon in a sitting and piling up little "snow caps" of salt my potatoes
Or as I like to call it, Tuesday.

BradyJay

Liked Posts:
I cut dairy and breads a few months ago and will never go back. Meat stays on the menu though..

Hbkrusso

Objective Fanboy
Donator
Liked Posts:
It seems like a few NFL guys are making the transition, most notably Brady and Rodgers. Do you think its a fad? I personally never ate red meat and recently cut out dairy and chicken. I can say I do feel better. Anyone have any experience with a vegan diet? http://www.espn.com/blog/nfcwest/post/_/id/126967/how-netflix-changed-david-johnsons-diet

I eat a bloody rare steak all three meals everyday and wash it down with beer pay no attention to those girly mens plant diet

giphy.gif

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
So, I know a moderate amount about nutrition and i've never heard a really compelling argument against eating high quality poultry and grass fed/finished red meats in moderate amounts as part of a balanced diet.

There isn't one, that I'm aware of. You've taken my post more forcefully than it was intended. Meat isn't really necessary (for the majority of people) but quality grass fed meat in moderation isn't bad for you, as far as I'm aware. Most meat consumption in America is neither quality, grass fed, nor in moderation, however.

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I am more attuned to the KEto diet because my wife has an auto-immune disease. Eating meats, fruits and vegetables and avoiding grains. Grains and nightshade veggies cause inflammation and could make my wifes condition miserable for days.

I think the anti-inflammatory diet has more health benefits than a plant based one. As inflammation is the primary cause for heart disease and not meat. Most vegans and vegetarians have causation backwards for health risks.

Meat is very healthy if you don't combine it with grains and other carb heavy foods that can tear up your veins and allow bad cholesterol to clog them.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Just like don't eat butter, oops, don't eat margarine, eat butter. Depends on who's paying and what the person counting wants the study to say. Pay different scientists to do the same study with predetermined results, ignore the ones you don't like, now you've got a majority of science proving what you "knew" all along.

Science has taken a severe nose dive.
I can't even believe my own research Dr's any more, as soon as the DEA, CDC and FDA came out against the "opioid epidemic" they produced studies showing how higher opioid use was "associated with worse outcomes". I asked one does that mean opioids cause the outcome or does the worse outcome require the higher use. Good question, they don't know the answer, but they sure were happy to spin what they said to keep the funding coming in.

Well that's a different case, they did find that trans fats are essentially poison to the body in that they aren't processed and cause one of issues (aka what is in margarine). Even though I agree with your sentiment that funding plays a role in some studies I'd argue science has not taken a nose dive. Just look at all the backlash towards marijuana that has been going on for decades, yet there is little to any negative scientific studies showing cannabis is harmful.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am more attuned to the KEto diet because my wife has an auto-immune disease. Eating meats, fruits and vegetables and avoiding grains. Grains and nightshade veggies cause inflammation and could make my wifes condition miserable for days.

I think the anti-inflammatory diet has more health benefits than a plant based one. As inflammation is the primary cause for heart disease and not meat. Most vegans and vegetarians have causation backwards for health risks.

Meat is very healthy if you don't combine it with grains and other carb heavy foods that can tear up your veins and allow bad cholesterol to clog them.

Yeah I've heard this a lot too. I don't do so well with bread. Rice seems to be a godsend for this stuff, if you like to make stir fry's and whatnot, as I do. Some local, high quality meat with veggies and rice and spices is something I would take over a burger even if health wasn't a factor.

dbldrew

Liked Posts:
most of the studies showing that vegetarian or vegan diets are healthier then omnivore diets are massively flawed.

If I decided to go vegan and my diet mostly consisted of, French fries, onion rings, potato chips, Doritos, fried jalapeño, shit ton of candy etc. Do you think that would be a healthy diet? most would say no. now what if there was millions of vegans and vegetarians that stuck to my diet, do you still think the studies would show how healthy being a vegan would be when you have millions of unhealthy vegan diets? Here is the problem, throw in cheesburgers and that is what millions of omnivores eat. So you have millions of unhealthy eating omnivores bringing down the average lol

But if you want a real study just look at India. It has the largest non meat eating population in the world. The healthcare system in India is on par with the united states.
Cost of heath care India is ranked 35th compared to 41st for the US
Quality of health care is ranked 28th for India and 23rd for the US

the average life expectancy is..

MEN
India - 64
US - 76

Women
India - 68
US - 81

and that is even with comparing obesity where the US is at the top of the list with fatties (Bears fans) ranked at #5 compared to 158 for India.

so what have we learned here today boys and girls? eat meat you will live longer..

Reactions: Myk

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
Yeah I've heard this a lot too. I don't do so well with bread. Rice seems to be a godsend for this stuff, if you like to make stir fry's and whatnot, as I do. Some local, high quality meat with veggies and rice and spices is something I would take over a burger even if health wasn't a factor.

The research I have done on grains like bread is at the protein level, which is what gluten is, that our stomachs didn't evolve to digest it, and thus our body attacks it as if it is a foreign invader. Which is why we get more tired when eating bread heavy diets.

And most gluten sensitive people, not gluten allergic people, are sensitive to it because of other proteins like gluten in grains.

My theory is that all humans are sensitive to those proteins, but certain people's immune systems don't handle it as well as most humans. The average human will experience mild temporary fatigue, whereas the sensitive immune systems almost crap their pants and get tired for an entire day.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Plant based diets aren't literally only eating plants. Fruits, vegetables, nuts and legumes, whole grains etc. It basically just means a diet without animal products.

I'm considering going towards it myself, except keeping fish. Meat just isn't necessary. It's not generally good for us, and it's absolutely terrible for the planet.

Good points. Like cigarettes, recent studies say red meat will cause cancer. Keep in mind the healthiest fish are wild caught (cost more $$$ though). I just heard some distressing news about farm raised salmon.

beardownboilerup85

Liked Posts:

I have heard good things about the anti-inflammatory diet, what does it consist of? Do you guys find your recipes on a certain website?

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm going to Steak-n-shake for a double jalapeno burger shortly. I will think about this thread while enjoying it.

don't 4get the cheese fries (w/extra cheese)

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
most of the studies showing that vegetarian or vegan diets are healthier then omnivore diets are massively flawed.

If I decided to go vegan and my diet mostly consisted of, French fries, onion rings, potato chips, Doritos, fried jalapeño, shit ton of candy etc. Do you think that would be a healthy diet? most would say no. now what if there was millions of vegans and vegetarians that stuck to my diet, do you still think the studies would show how healthy being a vegan would be when you have millions of unhealthy vegan diets? Here is the problem, throw in cheesburgers and that is what millions of omnivores eat. So you have millions of unhealthy eating omnivores bringing down the average lol

But if you want a real study just look at India. It has the largest non meat eating population in the world. The healthcare system in India is on par with the united states.
Cost of heath care India is ranked 35th compared to 41st for the US
Quality of health care is ranked 28th for India and 23rd for the US

the average life expectancy is..

MEN
India - 64
US - 76

Women
India - 68
US - 81

and that is even with comparing obesity where the US is at the top of the list with fatties (Bears fans) ranked at #5 compared to 158 for India.

so what have we learned here today boys and girls? eat meat you will live longer..

India is full of some of the direst poverty and millions of people don't have access to clean water or sanitation. Nobody is saying vegan diets are a must so I don't know why you're being so sensitive and defensive over it. But no, eating meat is not why Americans live longer than Indians. There's far, far more to life expectancy than that.

Last edited:

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
The whole "its good for the environment" thing bothers me. You know what would be REALLY good for the environment? About 90% less humans.

Or maybe the getting rid of the "humans" who believe in nuclear build-up

JP Hochbaum

Liked Posts:
I have heard good things about the anti-inflammatory diet, what does it consist of? Do you guys find your recipes on a certain website?

Well I would tackle it by just removing grains.

https://www.ruled.me/guide-keto-diet/ This is KEto

Anti-inflammatory is kind of an aggressive diet that removes nightshade veggies as well. So no peppers,tomoatoes, eggplant, etc..

I don't do anti-inflammatory, I do KEto, which is about 80% anti-inflammatory.