POLL: What to do with Mitch Trubisky in 2021?

What to do with Mitch?

• Let him walk away in FA

• Extend him (1 year, prove it deal)

• Extend him (long term deal)

• Franchise him & see what happens

Results are only viewable after voting.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Trubisky's late surge will be problematic for the Bears. If you tag him, he'll sign it right away and you're going to pay way over market value for a guy that no one really knows what to expect. I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but it would need to be a short deal with performance based earnings and not a lot of guarantees.

In a way, I agree, but keep a way to have him around long-term if the surge is for real.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Hard to argue against Trubisky being mobile enough to impact the running game AND the overall better offense than Foles can have.

I really wanted Foles to work out, but maybe Foles was more fools gold than Trubisky is.... ?

I think Nagy didn't understand or adapt to the two big limitations Foles had:
1. Not much mobility.
2. His lack of durability over the years.

Foles is a top-five backup QB in the NFL. He proved it in 2017, taking the Eagles to a Super Bowl win. but his lack of durability makes him a bottom-ten starting QB.

Trayhezy

Liked Posts:
Use Trubisky as your "bridge" qb.

Sign him to as cheap & short a deal as possible...
Draft a qb...
Let said qb sit and learn with Foles as a mentor...
Draft a tackle or two to improve the Oline..
Find a good backup rb...

All this can be done this off-season and help set your offense up for the future

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Use Trubisky as your "bridge" qb.

Sign him to as cheap & short a deal as possible...
Draft a qb...
Let said qb sit and learn with Foles as a mentor...
Draft a tackle or two to improve the Oline..
Find a good backup rb...

All this can be done this off-season and help set your offense up for the future

I'd sign him to a longer deal. If you find a developmental QB, then Trubisky starts, Foles backs up/mentors, and then we see where things are in a couple of years. If Trubisky takes off, then your developed QB is the backup. If Trubisky is what he is now, then you can have them compete, and know there is a servicable backup.

But improving the O-Line is tops on the To-Do list...

JUSTFINGWIN

Liked Posts:
Trubisky's late surge will be problematic for the Bears. If you tag him, he'll sign it right away and you're going to pay way over market value for a guy that no one really knows what to expect. I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but it would need to be a short deal with performance based earnings and not a lot of guarantees.
And still draft that young gun to develop behind him.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think the tag is to much when looking at Foles contract as well. It would be so Ryan Pace tho to decline his 5th year option only to tag him for a significant amount more.
The projected Franchise tag is 23,511,000 the project transitional tag is $21,206,000 link
Mitch's 5th year option would of cost $24.837 million link

So i know it is trending to shit on Pace, but he played it right not exercising the option. The best case is to back load a new contract that locks him up for a few years while having cap flexibility. Restructure Fullers contract and cut Leno, Graham, and Massie. Replace them with draft picks on the rookie salary. Now, you can afford to resign players and keep Trubisky and Robinson together. Next year Quinn's contract can come off the books, and you will need to draft a pass rusher to replace him on a rookie salary. 2022 we will be back in good cap position and ready to spend again.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
The projected Franchise tag is 23,511,000 the project transitional tag is $21,206,000 link

So i know it is trending to shit on Pace, but he played it right not exercising the option. The best case is to back load a new contract that locks him up for a few years while having cap flexibility. Restructure Fullers contract and cut Leno, Graham, and Massie. Replace them with draft picks on the rookie salary. Now, you can afford to resign players and keep Trubisky and Robinson together. Next year Quinn's contract can come off the books, and you will need to draft a pass rusher to replace him on a rookie salary. 2022 we will be back in good cap position and ready to spend again.

I think cutting Graham is a bit penny-wise and pound-foolish. Graham's a big reason why Trubisky's rebounded. He's a huge red zone asset. Kmet's not bad, but Graham's just too important a red zone threat to let go. He's doing for Mitch what Burton did in 2018.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I agree, I don't want Mitch here for the long haul. I would like to draft a QB in the 1st (Trask most probably), and then keep Mitch here for 21 if possible (I'm sorry but Foles is worse than mitch and he's just boring). Start Mitch for the start of the season, and then if you want to go to Trask at some point you do that. If you want to sit him for the season and stay rolling with Mitch you do that.

Mitch might look a LITTLE better against tough teams due to the fact that he's playing in a more suitable system, a settled OL, and Monty's success.

However, I do think the other issues have been settled. I think the OL improvements and run game improvements are for real.
What make you think Trask would be better then Mitch? When you watch Trashk doesn't he remind you of Foles or Kyle Orton? I just don't see any reason to get excited about that guy. I think of him as a over hyped 3rd rounder.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Still not sure why a guy who apparently is out performing lots of NFL starters and young talent would only be seen as a good back up or potential starter? Sounds similar to Bridgewater last year or Garopollo, they did ok contract wise

This is not an apples to oranges comparison. 4M has almost exclusively played bad teams while most starters get a combination of good and bad teams. So his stats are skewed because of that.

Lions - 27th ranked passing D
Giants - 20th
Falcons - 31st
Packers - 9th
Lions - 27th
Texans - 23rd
Vikings - 24th

Those are the rankings of the teams he has faced. They are all terrible passing defenses with the exception of the Packers which also happens to be his 2nd lowest passing rating outside of the Falcons game that go him benched.

So despite playing virtually all shitty passing defenses he is still only 21st in passer rating on the year. So not sure he is out performing lots of NFL starters. He is bottom half of the NFL in passer rating despite having the benefit of playing almost exclusively shitty pass defense teams.

msadows

Liked Posts:
This is not an apples to oranges comparison. 4M has almost exclusively played bad teams while most starters get a combination of good and bad teams. So his stats are skewed because of that.

Lions - 27th ranked passing D
Giants - 20th
Falcons - 31st
Packers - 9th
Lions - 27th
Texans - 23rd
Vikings - 24th

Those are the rankings of the teams he has faced. They are all terrible passing defenses with the exception of the Packers which also happens to be his 2nd lowest passing rating outside of the Falcons game that go him benched.

So despite playing virtually all shitty passing defenses he is still only 21st in passer rating on the year. So not sure he is out performing lots of NFL starters. He is bottom half of the NFL in passer rating despite having the benefit of playing almost exclusively shitty pass defense teams.

The vikings are 12th in DVOA.

It's funny you jerk off to PFF, but think DVOA is a joke. You know, an analytics source actually based on statistics and not just judgement from couch potatoes. Once again, you are the biggest meatball on here.

Anytime you have a take on a player, we can be certain it will be wrong.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Also, this team has scored 30+ on offense in 3 straight for the first time in 25 years.

I'm sure they faced plenty of inept defenses in that time span.

Remy, just keep being you. Tell us how great jalen reagor, alshon jeffery, jordan howard and such are. Keep telling us how we need to retain cam meredith and get rid of leonard floyd. Keep telling us all these things so we can realize what we shouldn't do.

I wish we had a direct link to pace, because we could actually turn him into a decent GM by going against all your stupid hot takes that you never own up to.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

The moves you referenced above only get you about 20 million in cap space with 23 players you would need to sign. If 4M is 8-10 million and ARob is 18 million then you are looking at about 5 million left over to sign 21 players including your rookie class. Included in those 31 players would be a starting RT and LT.

In short, you would need to make a lot more cuts to fit both 4M and ARob under the cap and if you talking about 4M at the franchise tag amount, you pretty much need to gut the defense to make that happen and sign ARob.

The math doesn't add up unless the cap is higher than expected.

Last edited:

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think cutting Graham is a bit penny-wise and pound-foolish. Graham's a big reason why Trubisky's rebounded. He's a huge red zone asset. Kmet's not bad, but Graham's just too important a red zone threat to let go. He's doing for Mitch what Burton did in 2018.
Jimmy Graham is going to be 35 years old with a $10 Million Cap hit. you can cut him and save 7 Million. The focus needs to be on keeping Robinson, which is going to be over 16M / year. You could probably sign Sammy Watkins for around 9-10 Million.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The moves you referenced above only get you about 20 million in cap space with 33 players you would need to sign. If 4M is 8-10 million and ARob is 18 million then you are looking at about 5 million left over to sign 31 players including your rookie class. Included in those 31 players would be a starting RT and LT.

In short, you would need to make a lot more cuts to fit both 4M and ARob under the cap and if you talking about 4M at the franchise tag amount, you pretty much need to gut the defense to make that happen and sign ARob.

The math doesn't add up unless the cap is higher than expected.
They will need to restructure deals, but that is pretty common. Mack and Fuller account for 46 Million currently, so that needs to go WAY down. Convert their salary into bonuses spread over years.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The vikings are 12th in DVOA.

It's funny you jerk off to PFF, but think DVOA is a joke. You know, an analytics source actually based on statistics and not just judgement from couch potatoes. Once again, you are the biggest meatball on here.

Anytime you have a take on a player, we can be certain it will be wrong.

They are 12th combined rushing and passing. Their issue though is the fact their pass D fucking sucks. Those are passing D rankings I gave. Their pass D sucks primarily because their pass rush is ass given the injuries they have. They rank 31st in pass rush for example on PFF.

Also, this team has scored 30+ on offense in 3 straight for the first time in 25 years.

I'm sure they faced plenty of inept defenses in that time span.

Given the Bears have been historically inept on offense for much of those 25 years, this isn't saying much. I am not comparing them to bad offenses of yesteryear. I am comparing them to their peers currently this year. 4M has beat up on bad passing defenses. This is simply a statement of fact.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
They will need to restructure deals, but that is pretty common. Mack and Fuller account for 46 Million currently, so that needs to go WAY down. Convert their salary into bonuses spread over years.

They is very little they can do to restructure Mack as they have already done so. As for Fuller, you already mentioned him so I was including restructuring him in my response. Again the issue is you have 23 (not 33 as I said) players to sign. We simply cannot give 4M a franchise tag and sign ARob. That is pretty much impossible without gutting the defense as I said. You probably would need to cut or trade Fuller and Hicks among others.

satchice

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
They are 12th combined rushing and passing. Their issue though is the fact their pass D fucking sucks. Those are passing D rankings I gave. Their pass D sucks primarily because their pass rush is ass given the injuries they have. They rank 31st in pass rush for example on PFF.

Given the Bears have been historically inept on offense for much of those 25 years, this isn't saying much. I am not comparing them to bad offenses of yesteryear. I am comparing them to their peers currently this year. 4M has beat up on bad passing defenses. This is simple a statement of fact.
Wait WTF does 4M stand for??

Since Mitch came back to lead the offense:
We scored 33 [points on the VIkes only the Falcons and Packers scored more against them this year
We scored 36 points on the Texans only the Titans have scored more against them this year
We scored 30 points on the Lions only everyone has scored 30 points on the Lions

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I think cutting Hicks is an easy decision right now. Assuming Goldman returns, Nichols and Urban are playing much better than Hicks this season. Hicks will be 32 by the time next season starts too. Bette to walk away one year early than one year too late.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Wait WTF does 4M stand for??

Since Mitch came back to lead the offense:
We scored 33 [points on the VIkes only the Falcons and Packers scored more against them this year
We scored 36 points on the Texans only the Titans have scored more against them this year
We scored 30 points on the Lions only everyone has scored 30 points on the Lions

Mustached Mental Midget Mitch.

The Vikes have given up 25 or more points in 9 games. They are not good

The Texans have given up 25 or more points in 11 games. They are not good.

The Lions have given up 25 or more points in 10 games. They are not good.

I am sorry these are not good passing defenses we have faced. Now if he can pull out a win against the Packers then let's revisit.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think cutting Hicks is an easy decision right now. Assuming Goldman returns, Nichols and Urban are playing much better than Hicks this season. Hicks will be 32 by the time next season starts too. Bette to walk away one year early than one year too late.

Hicks is generally the one getting doubled which frees up Nichols and Urban. The announcers made a point of showing a few instances of that yesterday where the Vikes doubled Hicks which allowed the other DT to make the play.

Also, I am not sure we can just assume a 330 pound DL that took a year off is going to come back and pick up where he left off. Goldman may command a double team on run downs but it has allows been Hicks that commands double teams in both the run game and passing game on the inside.