Pompei: "Everyone is best served with (Fields) on the bench"

Toast88

Liked Posts:
There is no set process. It’s different for each player and team.

And saying we should do it because those other teams are? Just dumb.
The process of learning to be a starting quarterback can only go forward by being a starting quarterback.

Bad picks. Great moments. Taking first team reps and formulating a game plan all week and seeing it to fruition from the first whistle to the 0:00.

These are all necessary steps to any young quarterback becoming a strong starting quarterback.

The longer you don’t start Fields, the longer you delay that process.

Don’t delay the process. Start the process.

BearClaw55

SELL THE TEAM
Donator
Liked Posts:
An excerpt from his Athletic article. Read more here:

The Bears’ 20-17 victory over the Bengals said what Matt Nagy cannot say: Justin Fields is still learning and everyone is probably best served with him on the bench. The truth isn’t always popular, but Nagy has played his quarterback cards well.

Fields played like the rookie he is. He failed to see Logan Wilson on his interception. He held the ball carelessly on a fumble. He moved before the snap and drew penalties twice. And he executed poorly on a quarterback sneak on fourth down.

All of it was necessary, like pain in a teenager’s knees. Fields had to go through Sunday to become the quarterback he is supposed to become.

Here are my other postgame thoughts.

It would have been nice to see Fields out of the pocket more, just as it would have been nice to see Mitch Trubisky out of the pocket more. And Fields’ experience and ability as a zone-read quarterback should not be ignored.

He failed to mention those big drops (Robinson & Mooney) that would’ve made a huge difference.

gilder121

I don't care nearly as much anymore
Donator
Liked Posts:
The article doesn't even realize what the opposing position is. It's all over the place in the worst ways. Pompei has some really great human interest pieces on NFL players, but he just kind of crapped this one out.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
If you want to be critical of one game, sure Fields wasn't perfect. But I think some are looking at the stat sheet too closely. And I will admit, Dalton looked sharp in his limited play against the Bengals. But if you look at the overall larger picture, It is clear Fields is the much better option in the short term and long term.

My biggest concern entering into the season was how Justin would fare with a patchwork offensive line. But up to this point the OL, while not great, has held up better than most expected. The running game has contributed and we look more balanced than the past few years.

All Fields mistakes weren't concerning to me. He has been playing football his whole life. I have no doubt he will clean up the False starts.
The INT was a great play by the Bengals defender. . He threw to a guy who looked open for most of his route until the last second when the defender drifts back. The play was magnified because it happened on the Bengals side of the field and led to a TD for them. Otherwise, you shrug it off and move on.
The sack fumble doesn't concern me either. Fields will make some spectacular plays moving around the pocket and other times it will be his kryptonite. I'd rather have the potential for him to do something special than take that away from him.

Overall, my thoughts on Fields is that he is a very special player. He is a tick off on a few things, but I chalk that up to a lack of experience and a bit of nerves. Once he becomes more comfortable, from playing more games, he will calm down and start stringing everything together. I think the running game and OL are in good enough shape to put him out there and let him grow. There may be some growing pains, but his ceiling is so much higher than that of Dalton, its worth trying to untap that now.

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
First off I disagree not only with its best for Fields to be on the bench but that awful example of a teenagers knee pain? Like wtf does that mean?

Right now it’s showing Nagy can’t develop or even coach. He couldn’t develop Mitch and I don’t want him developing Fields and his players especially on offense make the same mistakes over and over. Fields doesn’t benefit from being on the bench because I doubt Nagy is really teaching anything. It really would be one thing if Nagy truly was like Reid who had a knack for developing QBs like Mcnabb, Kolb, Mahomes etc but Nagy can’t even adapt his plays to his players. Let Fields learn learn by experience, him holding a BE YOU clipboard won’t help the middling team
agreed

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
FWIW, Andy was pretty good while he was in there. That's not some claim that he's better or it's an open competition. I'm just saying with the way that game turned out I'm pretty confident that the team could have also won if Dalton took all the snaps.
* for the first series yes. Then Nagy , Nagy’d.

Point being, Nagy is going to Nagy.. Andy may be a more experienced quarterback, and can possibly make plays outside of the called play, Justin most definitely can.. not if but when that happens. We all know how shit his play calling can get and how shit the OL can be.

just saying be prepared for more of the same, low ypp, low scoring, predictable offense.

it’s nothing against Dalton he’s a fine backup i hope he sticks around in that role.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
growing pains mein. he talkin about growing pains.

but anyway, I agree with everything the article says. Save that the answer is the bench.

Personally I see compelling arguments for both starting and the bench.

Not sure it's possible to say which would help Fields more without being at the bears facility, seeing his development first hand
"Personally I see compelling arguments for both starting and the bench." THIS!!!! It's been that way since the day we drafted him and holds true for most rookie QB's. So many for some reason think there is only one way to make this work. That's not the case

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
First off I disagree not only with its best for Fields to be on the bench but that awful example of a teenagers knee pain? Like wtf does that mean?
Umm ... don't fuck with Tonya Harding?

That's my guess.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Fields wasn't very good (bad pick and fumble and 2 false starts by the qb)...however he got little help from his teammates and the playcaller (which is par for the course for that real estate agent)
People have two weeks to make up their new signs. Something like:

Be you! Go back to what you do best, selling houses.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
The only way Fields will gain valuable experience is by playing the game.

The best way to learn chops for a musician is to play live. Playing in your basement doesn't come close.

The same applies to athletes.

Throw Fields into the deep end of the pool and let him learn!
It is worse than that.

He is not only not playing live, but, when he is allowed to play in the basement, he is forced to play songs from a competing band, songs he would never play live.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There is no set process. It’s different for each player and team.

And saying we should do it because those other teams are? Just dumb.
Isn't it just as dumb saying that they should do it like KC did a few years ago?

The knife cuts both ways.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I think Fields should start next week

But what happened to the best player plays? Wasn’t that the CCS mantra all off season? Based on Sunday, Andy is the better player. I think if we move to Fields we need to acknowledge of dropping a game or 2 because of rookie mistakes, as very clearly could have happened Sunday
Who had more passing yards? Who had more rushing yards?

Fields did not have a good game, but Dalton's was not some amazing performance either.

I know. You are going to say something like "who had more TD passes"?

True. But don't try to ignore that Fields should have had the same amount, if AR had not dropped a perfectly placed pass.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I actually agree with the article. Everyone is excited to see what Fields can do, but let's progress at a pace that maximizes long term success.

FWIW, Andy was pretty good while he was in there. That's not some claim that he's better or it's an open competition. I'm just saying with the way that game turned out I'm pretty confident that the team could have also won if Dalton took all the snaps.
How would you feel if Hurts had a game where he threw for less than 120 yards and ran for 50 yards?

Would that be considered pretty good?

Well, that would have been Dalton's totals just doubling his pretty good performance.

WestCoastBearsFan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Los Angeles Kings
  1. Clemson Tigers
Who had more passing yards? Who had more rushing yards?

Fields did not have a good game, but Dalton's was not some amazing performance either.

I know. You are going to say something like "who had more TD passes"?

True. But don't try to ignore that Fields should have had the same amount, if AR had not dropped a perfectly placed pass.
Who played more of the game lol

I don’t even need to bring up touchdowns

Zion

Magitek Knight
Liked Posts:
I figured he was referring to Osgood Schlatter's disease, a "common cause of knee pain in growing adolescents. It is an inflammation of the area just below the knee where the tendon from the kneecap (patellar tendon) attaches to the shinbone (tibia)."

Trust me. It ain't fun!

I had this as a teen. I'm told its common but didn't know it's classified as a disease

MidwestMonster2

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fields has shown an ability to make a mistake and learn from it. He called protections at the line a few times this week so he didn't get be-headed again. I bet he runs with two hands on the ball now and we wont see the off sides called against him again. I'd also bet he wont get burned on the LB dropping out and taking away the hot again. It was a shit game stat wise for him but it was a really good learning experience for him. He has to start from now on in order to become the player everyone is envisioning. Pompei is looking at it all wrong IMO.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
Damn, figured the athletic wouldn't stoop to meatball articles.

The only person best served with fields on the bench is the opposing defensive coordinator.
Yeah, for a pay service, this is a shit take and trash article.

Right now it’s showing Nagy can’t develop or even coach. He couldn’t develop Mitch and I don’t want him developing Fields and his players especially on offense make the same mistakes over and over. Fields doesn’t benefit from being on the bench because I doubt Nagy is really teaching anything. It really would be one thing if Nagy truly was like Reid who had a knack for developing QBs like Mcnabb, Kolb, Mahomes etc but Nagy can’t even adapt his plays to his players. Let Fields learn learn by experience, him holding a BE YOU clipboard won’t help the middling team
Lol, seriously wtf? I'm trying harder to figure out the knee pain comment over everything else in that article.