Pompei thinks Wootton is likely gone

Colonel_Buendia

Liked Posts:
Dan Pompei
‏@danpompei
RT@UIsean15 Do you think Corey Wootton ends up resigning?... At this point I'd say 65 percent chance he's gone.

because who needs versatile d linemen anyway?

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
It all depends on what the Bears want to do. If they are moving to the hybrid 4-3 or some verson of a 3-4 maybe they would rather allocate that cap space towards DL that fit that mould better.

IMO he could be a 5 technique, but then again I'd assume the best people for making that assessment are the coaches that saw him in practice every day.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Wow if Wootton is gone then I don't know what the hell they're going to do on defense, unless they think Lane is a likely replacement..at which point the Bears just got worse and the clock ticks one hour closer to the end of Phil Emery's tenure as GM.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
Well maybe the coaches see Bass and or Washington as good enough to be the third guy in a 3 DE rotation. I really like Wooten but maybe money for him might be better spent on an FA safety. Maybe not saying for sure its the best move but maybe it is.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
over react much?

How is it an overreaction to consider that replacing Corey Wootton with Austen Lane would lessen the talent on the defensive line? We're looking to either a) upgrade the talent or b) maintain the talent not c) regress and lessen the talent.

I also don't think neither Washington nor Bass would be an immediate upgrade over Wootton in year two.

Matt Suhey

Liked Posts:
How is it an overreaction to consider that replacing Corey Wootton with Austen Lane would lessen the talent on the defensive line? We're looking to either a) upgrade the talent or b) maintain the talent not c) regress and lessen the talent.

I also don't think neither Washington nor Bass would be an immediate upgrade over Wootton in year two.

Maybe the Bears are thinking try to spend money tat might be spent on Wooten to sign Greg Hardy instead of keeping Wooten go cheap on the third DE with either Bass or Washington. Signing Hardy plus drafting Ealy would make the talent level of the third DE less important.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
And if Peppers ends up being cut, we have zero DE's on the roster except for Lane, Bass and Washington??? Maybe one other guy?

No 3 tech's on the roster and only Paea in the middle.

That's a lot of freakin bodies they need to pick up in the off season... Basically 3 starters plus a 3 back ups....

I bet we see at least 3 D-line draft picks, first will probably be a DE if available.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs

Wooten is not gone yet. Is anyone suggesting other than you that Austen Lane would be his eventual replacement if Wooten did leave? Maybe it would be wise to see what happens in free agency and the draft before you continue your Emery hissy fit.

Novoitus

Mitch Trubisky Fan
Liked Posts:

very true. we used up our 1-addition-limit this offseason with lane. great. guess we have to wait til next year

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wooten is not gone yet. Is anyone suggesting other than you that Austen Lane would be his eventual replacement if Wooten did leave? Maybe it would be wise to see what happens in free agency and the draft before you continue your Emery hissy fit.

It could be, according to the coaches and staff, that they feel Lane is just as good as Wooten for a lot less money??? But, you're right, he isn't officially gone yet.

Bearin' Down

Liked Posts:

Now now now, that is not what your reaction was, was it? You made it clear as day that you thought this move would be Emery's undoing. Your reaction was a HUGE overreaction.

da_bears6

Liked Posts:
Yep and that money we could re-sign Wootton or not cannot be used towards someone else. Lane put us over the limit.

Be realistic here. Even if Wootton is gone that money will go towards the dline for someone else. Personally I'd like to keep him here for cheap, but I'm not an NFL GM/scout.

NCChiFan

Bald, fat, toothless
Donator
Liked Posts:
Heh, we don't know, it could be Corey's agent is looking for 5 years 50 million 30 guaranteed.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
And if Peppers ends up being cut, we have zero DE's on the roster except for Lane, Bass and Washington??? Maybe one other guy?

No 3 tech's on the roster and only Paea in the middle.

That's a lot of freakin bodies they need to pick up in the off season... Basically 3 starters plus a 3 back ups....

I bet we see at least 3 D-line draft picks, first will probably be a DE if available.

No doubt there will be change, but ask yourself is that a bad thing? If the Bears are a middle of the pack group that's still a huge upgrade over what you saw this past season.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wow if Wootton is gone then I don't know what the hell they're going to do on defense, unless they think Lane is a likely replacement..at which point the Bears just got worse and the clock ticks one hour closer to the end of Phil Emery's tenure as GM.

Much Emery, Such Hate

Wakacha

Liked Posts:
Dan Pompei has no idea whether Corey Wootton will be back. He threw out an arbitrary percentage number because it is impossible to say if he will be right or wrong. This is a nonstory

/thread

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Thats what you think they are doing? Replacing Wootton with Austen? You're a dumb ass.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
wootton is at best a rotational player, in my opinion. not a bad one, but his best role last year was as an interior pass rusher. i know he got moved around a lot but he's not a right end, and the bears may want to get stouter at left end. maybe he wants starter money and the bears don't want to pay him that. i'd keep him as a 5th or 6th d-lineman but in theory that money would be better spent on a full time starter and then look for the 5th/6th d-lineman in the draft.