Post Combine Mock Offseason

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
143 million [estimated 2015 cap] - 115 million [2015 Salary Commitments] = 28 million [Cap Space]

Released/Not Re-signed [12 Million Saved]

LB Lance Briggs
LB D.J Williams
CB Charles Tillman
C Roberto Garza
S Chris Conte
S Danny McCray
OT Eben Britton
WR Josh Morgan

Cap Space: 28 Million

1 Year Deals [5.75 Million Spent]

C Brian De La Puente [1.5 mil]
CB Sherrick McManis [900k]
TE Zach Miller [400K]
LB Darryl Sharpton [950k]
LS Jeremy Cain [600k]
TE Dante Rosario [700K]
QB Jimmy Clausen [750K]

Cap Room: 26.25 million

Extensions [5 million spent]

WR Alshon Jeffery 5 years 38 million/18 guaranteed

4 years 36.5 million/20 guaranteed + 1 year 1.5 million remaining

With 1 year left on his deal Jeffery gets a big 4 year pay raise and the security of a long term deal. The new money works out to be 4 years at 10 million a year added to the 1 year and 2 million he was scheduled to make. This makes him paid on par with Brandon Marshall.

Year 1: 5 guaranteed [5]
Year 2: 4 base/6 guaranteed [10]
Year 3 4 base/4 guaranteed [8]
Year 4: 4 base/3 guaranteed [7]
Year 5: 8 base [8]

Cap Room: 21.5 million

Free Agency [15 Million Spent]

CB Chris Culliver [San Francisco] 4 years 26 million/10 guaranteed

Tim Jennings cannot be cut, and he cannot play on the outside full time. Jennings is coming off a terrible 2014 season and now he is moving into a man heavy system that simply does not have room for a 5'8" CB on the outside. Jennings moves to the nickle and Culliver comes in and starts across from Fuller. Experience with Fangio may make him easier to recruit.

Year 1: 2 base/3 guaranteed [5]
Year 2: 2 base/4 guaranteed [6]
Year 3 4 base/3 guaranteed [7]
Year 4: 8 base [8]

Chris-Culliver-court.jpg

OT/OG Orlando Franklin [Denver] 4 years 22 million/8 guaranteed

The Bears want to be better on the OL, they want to run the ball, and they want to be more physical, Franklin provides all of those things. At 6'7" 340lbs. Franklin is an imposing figure. He is an elite run blocker and brings a nasty physical edge to the position. Franklin can play tackle, but would be best served at OG as the centerpiece of the run game.

Year 1: 1 base/2 guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 3 base/2 guaranteed [5]
Year 3 3 base/3 guaranteed [6]
Year 4: 7 base/1 guaranteed [8]

Orlando+Franklin+Seattle+Seahawks+v+Denver+Nz-TTGPiuOZl.jpg

S Da'Norris Searcy [Buffalo] 4 years 20 million/8 guaranteed

The Bears need a player that can come in and start at safety and allow a draft pick to develop or to move Ryan Mundy to the bench. Searcy has a solid build at 5'11" 210lbs. and he is coming off of a 65 tackle, 3 INT season. Searcy is still developing and has only started 1 year, so the Bears could see continued growth. Searcy would be a similar signing to Willie Young last season.

Year 1: 2 base/2 guaranteed [4]
Year 2: 3 base/2 guaranteed [5]
Year 3 3 base/2 guaranteed [5]
Year 4: 4 base/2 guaranteed [6]

nfl_u_searcy11_600x400.jpg

LB David Harris [NY Jets] 2 years 8 million/2 guaranteed

The Bears need a steady, veteran, leader at the LB position that can call the defense and make sure that everyone is lined up properly. There were way too many mental busts on the field last season and Harris can immmediatly help that. Harris is a hard nosed player coming from a top defense and can hopefully change the losing culture that has invaded the Bears defense. He might be 32, but he has only missed 5 games in his 8 year career.

Year 1: 2 base/1 guaranteed [3]
Year 2: 4 base/1 guaranteed [5]

David-Harris-New-York-Jets.jpg

Draft

1[1] Tampa Bay Bucanneers: QB Jamies Winston [Florida St]
1[2] Tennessee Titans: DT Leonard Williams [USC]
1[3] Jacksonville Jaguars: OLB Dante Fowler [Florida]
1[4] Oakland Raiders: WR Kevin White [Virginia Tech]
1[5] Washington Redskins: OLB Randy Gregory [Nebraska]
1[6] New York Jets: QB Marcus Mariota [Oregon]

1[7] OLB Vic Beasely [Clemson] 6'3" 246lbs. 4.53 [40], 35 reps, 41", 10'10" broad

This class looks loaded at OLB and the top guys all tested off the charts, so there should be few questions about raw athletic ability. This makes the debate about who to take even harder, as they are so a like in physical ability. In the end the Bears select Beasely over Dupree. Beasely is more polished, has a better repetoire of moves and has been more productive. The fact that he tested out so well at 246lbs. when there was concerns about his size was a huge win for him. Beasely needs to develop his power moves and he will benefit from standing up and not being asked to stack and she OTs. It is a tough call because of Dupree's upside, but Beasely provides as much athletic upside with less risk.

0ap2000000249970.jpg

2[39] NT Eddie Goldman [Florida St] 6'4" 336lbs.

The Bears are short on DLmen and they are short on size to anchor against the double teams in the 3-4. Goldman provides them with a heavy handed heavy weight that can cause havoc in the middle of the defense. Goldman's strengths are his power and heavy hands, he can control OLmen and knock them back in the run game, which should create space for the LBs. Goldman is not a slouch pass rusher notching 4 sacks, but he would need to develop in this area. Goldman would give the Bears a presence in the middle, allow Ratliff to move to end and play the Justin Smith role and free up Ferguson to compete at the strongside end and rotate in at NT.

Eddie+Goldman+Idaho+v+Florida+State+7KeFa_x1pLbl.jpg

3[71] S Jaquiski Tartt [Samford] 6'1" 219lbs. 4.53 [40], 10'4" broad

The Bears need continued competition and depth at the safety position. In a perfect world Ryan Mundy is a backup safety and special teams captain. Tartt has incredible size and physical ability. He also plays a physical game with a serious mean streak. Tartt simply trys to destroy WRs, which in this NFL can be a bad thing if not controlled, but like Kam Chancellor is Seattle a big hitting safety can change the entire complexion of the game. At a minimum Tartt can be a special teams stand out in 2015.

AR-131109806.jpg&maxw=400&q=90

4. DE Henry Anderson [Stanford] 6'6" 292lbs. 5.03 [40], 30" vert, 9'3" broad

The Bears are thin on depth and size on the DL in the 3-4 and they get both from Anderson who can immediatly step into the rotation. Anderson brings great size, toughness, and enough pass rush to be a threat to the table. Fangio uses big tough DLmen in his system and Anderson fits that mold. Coming from Stanford you know he is hard working and tough and there is always room for those guys. Anderson has a mediocre combine, which is good for the Bears, since it should allow them to get a hell of a football player a little late. Anderson may never be an impact starter, but he can be a long term rotation guy with great intangibles.

henry-anderson-2.jpg

6. C Shaq Mason [Georgia Tech] 6'2" 310lbs.

The Bears need a player to develop at C and Mason could provode a powerful and physical player to develop and provide depth. Mason comes from an option team so you know that his run blocking is good, but he showed better pass blocking than expected at the Senior Bowl. Mason is a feisty player that fits nicely in the Bears new commitment to power running.

ncf_i_mason01jr_400x600.jpg

7. WR/KR Jamarcus Nelson [UAB] 5'10" 156lbs. 4.28 [40], 36" vert, 10'7" broad

The Bears need some speed in the recieving core and as a kick returner. Chris Williams has done little to impress in the kicking game and needs compeition for the spot. Nelson is undersized, but he is incredibly fast and has shown that he can add a speed dynamic to the recieving core. Nelson is exceptionally small, but late in the draft the Bears should draft someone with 1 excpetional skil and hope that they can develop and contribute.

6_2969057.jpg

Depth Chart

QB: Cutler, Clausen
RB: Forte, Carey, Perry
WR: Marshall, Jeffery, Wilson, Nelson, Bellamy
TE: Bennett, Miller, Rosario
LT: Bushrod, Leno
LG: Slauson, Ola
C: DLP, Mason
RG: Franklin
RT: Long, Mills

DE Ratliff, Sutton, Washington
NT: Goldman, Ferguson
DE: Houston/Anderson
OLB: Beasely, Allen
MLB: Bostic, Sharpton
MLB: Harris, Greene
OLB: Jones, Young, Bass
CB: Culliver, Fuller, Jennings, McManis, Louis-Jean
FS: Searcy, Vereen
SS: Mundy, Tartt

Last edited:

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And the much debated alternate plan.

1[7] NT Danny Shelton [Washington] 6'2" 339lbs. 5.64 [40], 30.5" vert, 34 reps

John Fox has used massive DTs in his defenses in both Carolina and Denver. Fangio likes to run a lot of 3-4, which requires a difference maker in the middle to run at optimal levels. The Bears have expressed a desire to get bigger and tougher and Shelton brings all those aspects to the table. Shelton is shockingly athletic for a man his size and has been compared to Haloti Ngata by Mike Mayock and Daniel Jeremiah. His disurption was clear in games where he racked up 9 sacks from the NT position. Shelton gives the Bears the interior presence that will allow them to shift from 4-3 to 3-4 in game without compromising either defense. Shelton can be a true difference maker and combined with Ego Ferguson would give the Bears a pair of big, powerful DTs to build out from. His 40 time is bad, but his movement skills are pretty impressive for a man built like he is. Outside of the 40, his numbers compare pretty favorable to Dontari Poe.

ncf_i_dannyshelton_ms_600x400.jpg

2[39] OLB Eli Harold [Virginia] 6'3" 247lbs. 4.6 [40], 35" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears may have a rush LB of the future in Christian Jones who looked good as a pass rusher in his late season audition. The Bears need to add more potential pass rushers, especially considering Young is moving positions and coming off a major injury. Harold has everything you look for in a pass rusher, long arms, explosive movement and enough power to threaten the OT. His size will scare away 4-3 teams as he is a lean 250lbs, but for what the Bears need he has the frame to develop. Harold can back up and compete with Young to start this season.

2014FB_ucla_harold001b.jpg

Last edited:

Smokey Robinson

Liked Posts:
I prefer the alternate plan if Beasley is the original first round pick. Aside from that I really like the moves in this edition.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I really think with the lack of S talent in the draft that the Bears are going,

OLB
DL

or

DL
OLB

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait the great Ego Ferguson who we took over HTJ is still not starting. Oh my.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Good work as always!

I'll be releasing mine this week.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Harold has 0 chance of lasting til 39. Worst case he goes to a 2014 playoff team in the 20s-30s. A lot of 3-4 teams in that group, including the Steelers.

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Harold has 0 chance of lasting til 39. Worst case he goes to a 2014 playoff team in the 20s-30s. A lot of 3-4 teams in that group, including the Steelers.

Too many pass rushers, talent will spill into the 2nd round.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Big fan of Orlando Franklin. He is a very good player and would improve our oline quite a bit. Also wouldn't mind them signing Rahim Moore.

-Cago34-

CCS Mock Draft Champion
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'll be releasing my mock draft to the general public in the coming days, stay tuned.

RacerX

Silicon Valley CA Bears H
Liked Posts:
Great job, Windy. Either scenario works for me.

This is a much-needed distraction, oh the horrors of losing DRose and Pattie-kane the same night, who's next, Kris Bryant?

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
I really like the first scenario. You have starting potential in the first 4 picks. And Harris turned 31 in January so he's a year younger than you thought.

Sagbear

Liked Posts:
Seems like every mock has us taking Danny Shelton in the last few weeks...

Let's just say, I hope Fowler falls.

I'm with you on this one. But it just seems more and more unlikely unless some of the other pass rushers have lights out pro days. Gregory at 250+ and running and moving well may do that.

But the draft is top heavy at pass rushers and I want one of the elite prospects. Fowler, Williams, Gregory, Ray, Beasley, Dupree (in no order)

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
So we're gonna rely on a rookie and Willie Young coming off an Achilles injury to be our rush OLBs next year?

I think we need to sign a guy in free agency that has played 3-4 OLB to provide some stability at that position.