CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Again. Thats the 49ers. A team who had drafted top players in the last 7 drafts. They atlre going to perhaps win a superbowl but it will likely be all on their great defense. Running the ball is a luxery granted to you by either points or great defense. Him running his 49ers zone run doesnt matter. They win on paper all day as far as olines go.

The nutriding of a crap scheme from a team that was mocked as the misfit all year suddenly gets praise. Does anyone here stick to their guns.
Some of the spelling errors make this hard to follow.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Again. Thats the 49ers. A team who had drafted top players in the last 7 drafts. They are going to perhaps win a superbowl but it will likely be all on their great defense. Running the ball is a luxury granted to you by either points or great defense. Him running his 49ers zone run doesn't matter. They win on paper all day as far as olines go.

The nutriding of a crap scheme from a team that was mocked as the misfit all year suddenly gets praise. Does anyone here stick to their guns.
That crap scheme has been in football for decades and has worked everywhere a Shanhan has taken it and worked for plenty of others as well and will continue to.

Again, you don't seem to know what's up. You're the one who started this thread declaring the run zone to be dead as a Shanahan, who features it, heads to the SB. And their defense wasn't all that towards the end of the year. Actually was looking pretty bad. Don't base too much off that last game against the Packers. They were the very worst 13-3 team I've ever seen.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Can it be possible that multiple sides are right?

Chris is trying to hit on technicalities of scheme differences and the names used for them, although I'm not sure you can change what a play is called simply because pulling OL doesn't execute & RB bounces? (happened a LOT b/c well... zero holes)

Can we all agree that this is moot unless personnel can actually execute to at LEAST AVERAGE competency? Maybe one scheme is better for lesser talent as was said, but sadly the "talent" on OL in '19 was total hot garbage stinky shit. Namely LT & RG...& TE blocking.

Was a damn miracle when all players executed correctly on the same play (or vs MIN backups).
Fingers crossed new coaches get more outta these guys (or backups like Bars) & Pace finds new talent, else this discussion is pointless IMO. (so is flaming another on here but whatever ).

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
That crap scheme has been in football for decades and has worked everywhere a Shanhan has taken it and worked for plenty of others as well and will continue to.

Again, you don't seem to know what's up. You're the one who started this thread declaring the run zone to be dead as a Shanahan, who features it, heads to the SB. And their defense wasn't all that towards the end of the year. Actually was looking pretty bad. Don't base too much off that last game against the Packers. They were the very worst 13-3 team I've ever seen.

The Run game almost splits its carries between zone and power. Its not pure zone and adjustments had to be made because the offense was deficient the last few years. If not for elite personnel this shit would look like nagys offense or worse.

They were 4-12, 6-10, 2-14, 5-11. They drafted how many guys in the top 10? Had how many draft picks?

The team is stacked. The scheme is changed.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The Run game almost splits its carries between zone and power. Its not pure zone and adjustments had to be made because the offense was deficient the last few years. If not for elite personnel this shit would look like nagys offense or worse.

They were 4-12, 6-10, 2-14, 5-11. They drafted how many guys in the top 10? Had how many draft picks?

Am I missing something?

Their personnel on offense is not that elite, bud.

I count 4 people on their offense that I consider "elite". The rest of their offense are just guys. FFS, Shanny just schemed a 4th string runningback to shred a defense.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The OP is on Tribar level brane damage

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Am I missing something?

Their personnel on offense is not that elite, bud.

I count 4 people on their offense that I consider "elite". The rest of their offense are just guys. FFS, Shanny just schemed a 4th string runningback to shred a defense.

The entire offensive line is elite in my opinion. Mcglinchy 2nd round was a mauler, Tomlinson a 1st rounder same with Staley whos a beast and been to 6 pro bowls. Kittle is by far the best blocking TE in football. Yes the RBs are not the best but they are running behind an excellent o line and an extremely smart HC.

Who again has used less zone than in the previous years. And my guess is will go more balanced moving forward before talent drops off due to FS and then his scheme wont be as successful.

He changed his offense. Its genius. He's playing a great psychological game with defenses.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats

It’s very hard to take anything you’ve posted in this thread seriously when it doesn’t seem like you can tell zone v power

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
It’s very hard to take anything you’ve posted in this thread seriously when it doesn’t seem like you can tell zone v power

I fully understand players pulling in a power.

I just think the 49ers defense is their identity, the run is effective because of players not scheme, you've got 2 first rounders, one a 6 time probowler LT and a 2nd round RT. Not to mention a TE and FB that are the best in the league. Shicking the run gane regardless of scheme is successful.

I think the Chiefs pass 70% of the time. Thats their identity, not the zone run.

The zone run isn't anyones identity. It's just not special.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I fully understand players pulling in a power.

I just think the 49ers defense is their identity, the run is effective because of players not scheme, you've got 2 first rounders, one a 6 time probowler LT and a 2nd round RT. Not to mention a TE and FB that are the best in the league. Shicking the run gane regardless of scheme is successful.

I think the Chiefs pass 70% of the time. Thats their identity, not the zone run.

The zone run isn't anyones identity. It's just not special.
Yeah, no what I meant by my comment.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...est-rushing-teams-why-zone-blocking-here-stay

The Baltimore Ravens' unique scheme tailored around quarterback Lamar Jackson has attracted most of the attention, but the more widespread trend is a resurrection of the zone-blocking concept popularized by the mid-1990s Denver Broncos.

And let's not overlook the San Francisco 49ers, who have deployed the NFL's best rushing offense outside of Baltimore and are using zone blocking on 55% of their run plays.

Did you see what happened in that playoff game man? The defense stretched the play out and the offense couldn't find a mistake. Nobody overpersued and it looked like people were playing their man 2 gap style. Jackson although special might have been exposed in this game. I dont expect anywhere near the same numbers next year.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
I could go back and forth shovelling shit on you. So just be clear. What is it you think i dont understand and ill clarify.
Just to be even clearer: you're going to shovel shit back and forth on me over an NFL teams blocking scheme? What if I told you that not only will I be able to sleep tonight, and still post here if I was wrong? In any event, I'm not wrong, because you clearly haven't even decided if the 49ers run a power or zone scheme. To further illustrate just how big of a douchebag you are, I haven't taken any side in this thread other than you not knowing what the hell you're arguing. Also, guys like you probably beat their wives, so I hope you're not married. If you are, please do the right thing and let that poor lady off the hook.

Chris Sojka

Liked Posts:
Just to be even clearer: you're going to shovel shit back and forth on me over an NFL teams blocking scheme? What if I told you that not only will I be able to sleep tonight, and still post here if I was wrong? In any event, I'm not wrong, because you clearly haven't even decided if the 49ers run a power or zone scheme. To further illustrate just how big of a douchebag you are, I haven't taken any side in this thread other than you not knowing what the hell you're arguing. Also, guys like you probably beat their wives, so I hope you're not married. If you are, please do the right thing and let that poor lady off the hook.

Cool story. I pointed out that they are a defense first team. And that KC is a pass first team. And that running zone run in San Fran has significantly decreased from last year. And they've run more power to get balance. And they PA off power for big plays. The emergence of Kittle is a symptom of the PA pass.

So what I am saying is, Zone running successfully is a symptom of successful Defense. Without the #1 defense they dont run 50 times a game. Their identity then changes drastically and the zone run cant be used as effectively or any run for that matter.

I'm disputing that zone runs are as clever as many of you make them out to be. They aren't clever. It takes great O linemen a one-cut back with some vision but above all you gotta play games knowing your defense wont let you down. You dont run it 50 times unless your defense dominates.

When Brees Brady Rogers and Rivers retire it will be the end of an era of pure passing QBs and the beginning of the mobile QB era and running games. Which of them were ever considered zone run teams? Power run teams? They are all considered proliffic passing offenses who might use some zone run.

Outside of Mahommes whos the next guy to put up 5000 yards passing and be on a zone run offense? I can't see many hitting 4500 currently on a roster outside Mahommes.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
Cool story. I pointed out that they are a defense first team. And that KC is a pass first team. And that running zone run in San Fran has significantly decreased from last year. And they've run more power to get balance. And they PA off power for big plays. The emergence of Kittle is a symptom of the PA pass.

So what I am saying is, Zone running successfully is a symptom of successful Defense. Without the #1 defense they dont run 50 times a game. Their identity then changes drastically and the zone run cant be used as effectively or any run for that matter.

I'm disputing that zone runs are as clever as many of you make them out to be. They aren't clever. It takes great O linemen a one-cut back with some vision but above all you gotta play games knowing your defense wont let you down. You dont run it 50 times unless your defense dominates.

When Brees Brady Rogers and Rivers retire it will be the end of an era of pure passing QBs and the beginning of the mobile QB era and running games. Which of them were ever considered zone run teams? Power run teams? They are all considered proliffic passing offenses who might use some zone run.

Outside of Mahommes whos the next guy to put up 5000 yards passing and be on a zone run offense? I can't see many hitting 4500 currently on a roster outside Mahommes.
tl;dr