ERFA [600k/per]

OG Alex Bars
LB James Vaughters
LB Josh Woods
TE/FB JP Holtz

Cap Room: 15 million

Free Agency [9.5 million spent]

TE Geoff Swaim [Ten] 1 year 1.5 million/500k guaranteed [1.5]

The Bears need a veteran TE to play the U and backup Kmet. Swaim is experienced and cheap.

4940283.png

QB Jacoby Brissett [Ind] 1 year 4 million/3 guaranteed [4]

The Bears need a veteran QB heading into the draft who is not named Nick Foles. Brissett is young and has starting experience. His ceiling is not super high, but he has more ability than Foles and gives you an option if the draft does not break you way.

jacoby-brissett-greg-nelson.jpg

LB Joe Thomas [Dallas] 2 years 5 million/2 guaranteed [2]

Trevathan looked old for most of last season. Woods and Iggy cannot play on defense. The Bears need a 3rd ILB who has some defensive experience and who you can put on the field when you have to take Trevathan off the field. Thomas is a little undersized, but can run and cover and is a good compliment to Trevathan at this point.

BBRU219.img

OT Zach Banner [Pittsburgh] 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed [1]

Banner won the starting RT job for Pittsburgh and then tore his ACL and lost his job. Banner has the ability to play RT in the NFL and he brings exceptional size [6'8" 350lbs] to the Bears OL. This is a buy low and bring in another young player to compete move and adds options for the Bears in case the draft does not break their way.

2831097_web1_gtr-Banner-103019.jpg

C Ted Karras [Miami] 2 years 4 million/2 guaranteed [1]

I am good on Mustipher as the starting C, but the Bears need a veteran backup who can step in and play if Mustipher does not take the next step or get injured. Karras is a fringe starter, who has a bunch of career starts, and is from the Chicago area. The Bears can get a solid veteran and he can come home.

ted-karras-1.jpg

Cap Room: 5.5 million
Draft

1[1] Jacksonville Jaguars: QB Trevor Lawrence [Clemson]
1[2] NY Jets: QB Zach Wilson [BYU]
1[3] Carolina Panthers [Mia]: QB Justin Fields [Ohio St]
1[4] Atlanta Falcons: CB Caleb Farley [Virginia Tech]
1[5] Cincinnati Bengals: OT Penei Sewell [Oregon]
1[6] Philadelphia Eagles: WR J'mar Chase [LSU]
1[7] Detroit Lions: WR Jaylen Waddle [Alabama]
1[8] Miami Dolphins [Car]: TE Kyle Pitts [Florida]
1[9] Denver Broncos: LB Micah Parsons [Penn St]
1[10] Dallas Cowboys: CB Patrick Surtain [Alabama]
1[11] New York Giants: OT Rashawn Slater [Northwestern]
1[12] San Francisco 49ers: QB Trey Lance [NDSU]

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 1[20], 3[83], 3[2022] to the Los Angeles Chargers for 1[13] and a 5th round pick. This trade up is a poor value, but the Bears are super desperate and they need to land a QB that can be sold as the future. They must land one of the top 5 guys and Jones is the last one standing.

1[13] QB Mac Jones [Alabama] 6'3" 217lbs.

The Bears desperately need a QB and the trade market is always a tease and the free agents aren't good. There is not long term answer, unless they get one in the draft. Pace and Nagy need to sell fans and ownership on a future and a 1st round QB will do that. Jones is not the physically gifted QB in the draft. In fact he has some physical limitations. He is not an elite athlete, although he moves well in the pocket, he does not have a cannon arm, and he needs to be protected. What Jones does well is super intriguing for the Bears. He is super accurate on shorter YAC throws, he runs the RPO game really well, and he throws a beautifully timed deep ball. These are all areas that Mitch struggled. I get that he is not a fit in every system, but in this system he can easily be an Alex Smith type QB for this system. His willingness and accuracy on the deep ball should open up the offense and allow for better running the ball and underneath production. He needs to be protected and the OL that the Bears currently have is nowhere near good enough. #conviction

faecfb47-4adc-4b83-a3d0-2a703754cbe9-USATSI_15385768.jpg

2[52] OT Dillon Radunz [North Dakota St] 6'6" 304lbs.

The interior OL was solid at the end of the season and should be better when James Daniels comes back. Daryl Williams is a significant upgrade over Massie and Ifedi is a nice swing backup on the right side. Leno isn't good enough. He isn't bad, but he is inconsistent and soft enough that I am not interested in a pure pocket passer standing behind him. The Bears need someone to come in, and ideally take, Leno's LT job. Radunz had a great Senior Bowl and showed that he had LT size, athletic tools, and ability against higher competition. He also looked good at LG and versatility is always a positive. Radunz can give them a long term LT that has much higher upside than Leno.

Dillon_Radunz_Trey_Lance_20191102_FB_YSU-590x332.jpg

5. CB Bryan Mills [North Carolina Central] 6'1' 195lbs.

The Bears cannot afford a free agent CB, but they do need to continue to add depth and options at the spot. Mills has great size and athletic tools. His arms are verging on comically long and he has a ton of experience playing in press man coverage which the Bears often play across from Kyle Fuller. Mills needs a bunch of development coming from a small school, but he has ton of tools and he should not be needed right away and will get some time to develop.

1615390755608.png

5. TE Tre McKitty [Georgia] 6'5" 245lbs.

The Bears need a young and cheap U TE that they can pair long term with Kmet. They need someone who offers a little more gas in the passing game. McKiity started at Florida St and finished his career at Georgia. McKitty has the tools, but he has been chased his entire career by bad QB play. He is a solid blocker, has good size, and can stretch the field more vertically than Kmet.

w640xh480_GettyImages-1229001095.jpg

6. RB Elijah Mitchell [Louisianna] 5'11" 226lbs.

The Bears need a backup RB that is cheap and could reasonably step into Montgomery's role if he is injured or needs a break. Mitchell has the size and physicality to fill that role, the fact that he is a solid receiver is just a bonus for the Bears. The Bears need to have a backup option that is not 5'6" 180lbs coming off of an ACL tear.

1615390644576.png

6. S Damar Hamlin [Pitt] 6' 205lbs.

A smart player and a 4 year starter and team leader for Pitt. The Bears need some cheap safety depth and someone who might develop at the SS spot. Hamlin is a solid tackler is aware in coverage which makes up for average athletic tools and size. At a minimum he should be a solid special teams player and a depth defender.

2394325_web1_gtr-pittford-100619.jpg

6. WR Cornell Powell [Clemson] 6' 205lbs.

The Bears need some WR depth and Powell has a ton of interesting traits. Powell was a slow developer in college so there may still be upside that has not been realized. He has speed, solid size, and has had success on the outside. He would add some needed speed to the roster.

1615390676488.png

7. DE Khyiris Tonga [BYU] 6'4" 326lbs.

I think Mario Edwards will get more than the Bears can afford and they will bring back the more economical Brent Urban. That being said they will need some more bodies and depth along the line. Tonga can play DE or NT in this system. He has the length and power the Bears seem to favor on the DL./

1615390706616.png

Depth Chart

QB: Brissett/Jones, Foles
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Mitchell, Pierce
WR: Robinson, Mooney, Miller, Ridley, Powell
TE: Kmet, Swaim, McKitty, Holtz
LT: Leno
LG: Whithair
C: Mustipher, Karras
RG: Daniels, Bars
RT: Radnuz/Banner/Ifedi

RE: Nichols, Tonga
NT: Goldman, Jenkins
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Gipson
ILB: Smith, Iggy
ILB: Trevathan, Thomas, Woods
OLB: Mack, Vaughters
CB: Fuller, Johnson, Vildor, Shelley, Mills
FS: Jackson, Houston-Carson
SS: Gipson, Lucas, Hamlin

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Karras is unnecessary. No way I pay close to that for Urban or Gipson. Three more years for Hicks at that price, no thanks.

I'd rather push some of Whitehair's money than all that with Mack.

I am a fan of the draft although I think Radunz is gone by 52.

Bottom line is that this is going to be a total mess, for many teams including the Bears.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
You give negative responses when it comes to people talking about Russell Wilson during the offseason, yet you always posts mocks that are more wrong then right. Interesting.......

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You give negative responses when it comes to people talking about Russell Wilson during the offseason, yet you always posts mocks that are more wrong then right. Interesting.......

All mocks are more wrong than right. It is about seeing what could be.

Russell Wilson is still a massive long shot. That isn't negativity that is realism.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I don't think there is any way Allen Robinson II plays for the Bears (or anyone) this season on the tag. His displeasure with the situation is very obvious and the cap figure in a year where both Pace and Nagy are fighting for their NFL lives is oppressive. Either he gets an extension with the Bears or he gets dealt and finds that money elsewhere.

I also don't see the Bears being interested in paying Tashaun Gipson or Brent Urban twice the market rate for their services. I know they did that last off-season with Jimmy Graham and Danny Trevathan but Graham was brought in for a specific role (which he fulfilled, in fairness) and Trevathan holds a special place on the team as a leader. Maybe they will but I don't see it.

I don't like the free agents and I dont think its the route they'll go. I think they'll clear enough money to add one impact free agent rather than be content to have another off-season like 2019 where the team and the roster basically stagnated resulting in a very disappointing season.

That draft would be outstanding. Landing Mac Jones without giving up a 2022 first round selection would be a dream.

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
All mocks are more wrong than right. It is about seeing what could be.

Russell Wilson is still a massive long shot. That isn't negativity that is realism.
“It is about seeing what could be”. Russell Wilson could be a Bear, but like you said, it is a long shot. So Bears fans are seeing what could be and is realistic.
There has been no indication that Wilson to the Bears is unrealistic. There are a lot more signs that pointing to the Bears having a shot.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Bears stay true to form and draft another shitty qb and trade up for him

and next regime will be forced to roll with him until the contract his contract expires

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think there is any way Allen Robinson II plays for the Bears (or anyone) this season on the tag. His displeasure with the situation is very obvious and the cap figure in a year where both Pace and Nagy are fighting for their NFL lives is oppressive. Either he gets an extension with the Bears or he gets dealt and finds that money elsewhere.

I also don't see the Bears being interested in paying Tashaun Gipson or Brent Urban twice the market rate for their services. I know they did that last off-season with Jimmy Graham and Danny Trevathan but Graham was brought in for a specific role (which he fulfilled, in fairness) and Trevathan holds a special place on the team as a leader. Maybe they will but I don't see it.

I don't like the free agents and I dont think its the route they'll go. I think they'll clear enough money to add one impact free agent rather than be content to have another off-season like 2019 where the team and the roster basically stagnated resulting in a very disappointing season.

That draft would be outstanding. Landing Mac Jones without giving up a 2022 first round selection would be a dream.

Do you think he passes on 18 million?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
“It is about seeing what could be”. Russell Wilson could be a Bear, but like you said, it is a long shot. So Bears fans are seeing what could be and is realistic.
There has been no indication that Wilson to the Bears is unrealistic. There are a lot more signs that pointing to the Bears having a shot.

What signs?

It would be an unheard of trade for a team to deal a top 5 QB still in his prime and take on a 39 million dollar dead cap hit.

That is what makes it unrealistic.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Didn't the Bears already get rid of Skrine and Massie without the June 1 designation?

MikeDitkaPolishSausage

Liked Posts:
What signs?

It would be an unheard of trade for a team to deal a top 5 QB still in his prime and take on a 39 million dollar dead cap hit.

That is what makes it unrealistic.
Are you clueless about Wilson being unhappy in with Pete Carroll?

Why would it be unheard of, we have seen it in the NFL before. There’s a difference between a long shot (Which this situation is) and unrealistic/unheard of (Which you think it is).

jerkstore

Liked Posts:
Some good things in there, but just to pick one thing to comment on, there are a lot of good receivers in the draft, don’t think I’d go after Powell. He doesn’t really jump out at me as being excellent at anything.

Dazz Newsome or maybe Damonte Coxie would be more to my liking in the mid rounds. Maybe Tylan Wallace if we grab somebody a little earlier.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Good content Windy.

I like the Brissett signing because the Bears absolutely need a backup plan if they go into the draft looking for a QB.

If they miss on Jones a Trask/Mond mock in the 2nd or 3rd would be interesting.

Absent a blockbuster trade, the Bears are adding a QB in this draft.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
If the mock don't involve us getting Wilson I don't wanna see it.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
I doubt it's necessary to trade up for Mac Jones.

Never forget that EJ Manuel went 16th overall. And there are countless more examples of overdrafted QBs.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Do you think he passes on 18 million?
Well he hasn't even explicitly demanded a trade so I don't think the situation is anywhere near that bad yet. But ultimately he receives a lot more than $18,000,000 guaranteed in whatever veteran contract he gets, whether its this off-season or next off-season.

The Bears would be stupid to tempt a Le'veon Bell situation with Allen Robinson II. For the Texans it makes sense with regards to Deshaun Watson to play that game of brinksmanship right up to the start of the season because of the quality of player and importance of position. For the Bears the distraction and negativity that would surrounded Robinson II sitting out training camp, let alone games, probably outweighs the limited benefit he begrudgingly plays on the tag as a grumpy malcontent.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I doubt it's necessary to trade up for Mac Jones.
If the Bears have a quarterback in mind they really need to trade up even higher than thirteenth. They can't risk it. I think the natural target is the Eagles pick at sixth overall. It would cost this years and next years first (minimum) but the Bears also did the Eagles a huge solid by pretending to be interested in Carson Wentz.