Pre Free Agency Mock Offseason

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Well he hasn't even explicitly demanded a trade so I don't think the situation is anywhere near that bad yet. But ultimately he receives a lot more than $18,000,000 guaranteed in whatever veteran contract he gets, whether its this off-season or next off-season.

The Bears would be stupid to tempt a Le'veon Bell situation with Allen Robinson II. For the Texans it makes sense with regards to Deshaun Watson to play that game of brinksmanship right up to the start of the season because of the quality of player and importance of position. For the Bears the distraction and negativity that would surrounded Robinson II sitting out training camp, let alone games, probably outweighs the limited benefit he begrudgingly plays on the tag as a grumpy malcontent.

Robinson threw a fit in like Week 2 or 3 this past season and said he wanted to be traded because he didn't have a long-term deal. He had the rest of the offensive skill guys tweeting "#PayARob". His grumpy malcontentness led to 105 catches and 1200 yards.

One thing about Le'Veon is he lost a bunch of money. He was unpaid for a year, and then got a much lesser contract that he turned down from the Steelers. He lost a year of his career prime. Robinson would be losing his age 28 season, and hoping a team still pays him the 20M he wants after him sitting out a year and now pushing 30. Also, if the Bears do somehow pull off Wilson/Watson, he'd be stupid not to take the opportunity to play with an elite QB. But if the Bears don't, history has shown having a bad QB force feed him 140 passes a season has worked out pretty well for his numbers overall. I don't see how Robinson can sit out and win in this situation.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Well he hasn't even explicitly demanded a trade so I don't think the situation is anywhere near that bad yet. But ultimately he receives a lot more than $18,000,000 guaranteed in whatever veteran contract he gets, whether its this off-season or next off-season.

The Bears would be stupid to tempt a Le'veon Bell situation with Allen Robinson II. For the Texans it makes sense with regards to Deshaun Watson to play that game of brinksmanship right up to the start of the season because of the quality of player and importance of position. For the Bears the distraction and negativity that would surrounded Robinson II sitting out training camp, let alone games, probably outweighs the limited benefit he begrudgingly plays on the tag as a grumpy malcontent.
You aren't incorrect, but from a player's perspective, shouldn't it be far more to his advantage to take this year's money and go into FA next year when teams will be a bit more flush? This FA period is going to be a nightmare for the players, might as well save the headache, bank 18M, and play into a top-5 contract next year.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Why pay Brissett $4 mil when we already have Foles who we're paying? It's not like Brissett plays QB anyway close to the way Jones will play which would be closer to Foles then Brissett. Seems like a waste of money and also why sign another TE and also draft one? Seems like a lot of unrealistic scenarios but i'm used to it.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Brissett would be a waste of money.....you don't get much, if any, more than Foles.

That's not the win Nagy and Pace need.

They need to get a top 15 or trade up and draft a guy.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Robinson threw a fit in like Week 2 or 3 this past season and said he wanted to be traded because he didn't have a long-term deal. He had the rest of the offensive skill guys tweeting "#PayARob". His grumpy malcontentness led to 105 catches and 1200 yards.

One thing about Le'Veon is he lost a bunch of money. He was unpaid for a year, and then got a much lesser contract that he turned down from the Steelers. He lost a year of his career prime. Robinson would be losing his age 28 season, and hoping a team still pays him the 20M he wants after him sitting out a year and now pushing 30. Also, if the Bears do somehow pull off Wilson/Watson, he'd be stupid not to take the opportunity to play with an elite QB. But if the Bears don't, history has shown having a bad QB force feed him 140 passes a season has worked out pretty well for his numbers overall. I don't see how Robinson can sit out and win in this situation.
I dont think he can either, but he can raise enough of a stink that its not worth the trouble. And there is the looming threat that he does something stupid and sits out, you cant discount the possibility with pro athletes that they will act like petulant children when they get disrespected.

Also there's the huge matter that as nice of a player as Allen Robinson II is, he's in no way really worth ten percent of the Bears salary cap. $18,000,000 is entirely too much money to fork over to him. DeAndre Hopkins is worth two Allen Robinson II's and the Cardinals are taking a $12,500,000 cap hit for him this year. Its by far in the best interest of both parties that Robinson II either gets dealt to another team who wants to extend him and the Bears recoup some value, or the two work out a contract where he makes a reasonable figure that leaves the Bears some avenues to improve the team elsewhere.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
I dont think he can either, but he can raise enough of a stink that its not worth the trouble. And there is the looming threat that he does something stupid and sits out, you cant discount the possibility with pro athletes that they will act like petulant children when they get disrespected.

Also there's the huge matter that as nice of a player as Allen Robinson II is, he's in no way really worth ten percent of the Bears salary cap. $18,000,000 is entirely too much money to fork over to him. DeAndre Hopkins is worth two Allen Robinson II's and the Cardinals are taking a $12,500,000 cap hit for him this year. Its by far in the best interest of both parties that Robinson II either gets dealt to another team who wants to extend him and the Bears recoup some value, or the two work out a contract where he makes a reasonable figure that leaves the Bears some avenues to improve the team elsewhere.
Robinson won't be sitting out.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
@WindyCity

As always, love the effort you put into this. Here's my quick thoughts:

Gibson - Are you sure he earned a raise? He was ~$1M last year and the market is quite a bit worse. I think he was 'fine', but I feel he's one of those 2nd-4th tier FAs who really will be fighting for a FA scrap contract. If you are paying 2 year, 9 million/5.5 guaranteed I think there are better options.

Brissett - I think he'll cost a lot more than $4M. I'm thinking he'll be getting $7-8/season based on that he has played well and is still fairly young (29).

Other - I would like them to get a FA RB. Should be cheap. Essentially looking for someone to be Patterson when he leaves and not be forced to play a rookie if Montgomery gets hurt.

Draft - Looks good. I'm coming around to Jones being a good QB as opposed to him being the '5th best of the draft'. I honestly like him over Fields and Lance. That's not saying I think he'll succeed, but rather he's more likely too than originally thought.

The weirdest side is I can't get my head around DeVonta Smith falling out of the top 10. The typical process is to let 95% of the evaluation come from the tape. Well, in that case Waddle was hurt, Chase didn't play while Smith won the Heisman? I understand that everyone is talking up Waddle and Chase, but I don't see people ignoring the tape that aligns with his production .

Last edited:

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What signs?

It would be an unheard of trade for a team to deal a top 5 QB still in his prime and take on a 39 million dollar dead cap hit.

That is what makes it unrealistic.

It was also unheard of to trade a top 2 pass rusher in his prime to another team, and yet we have Khalil Mack. Years ago, it was unheard of to trade an up and coming quarterback who just made a pro Bowl in his third year and looked potentially to be a franchise quarterback to another team and yet we ended up with Jay Cutler. granted, he didn't end up being a franchise quarterback but at the time the general League consensus was trending that way in terms of belief.

The point is, just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't.

All it takes is the right situation.

And right now you have a situation brewing that is looking like it could be the right situation, not to mention Seattle is just a fucking weird place man.

I'm not saying the deal will get done. But there is enough smoke there to not dismiss it out of hand either.

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Robinson won't be sitting out.
If I was Robinson I'd show up for 6 games, then get a mysterious soft tissue injury that heals in 2022... Sad truth, but gotta look out for #1.

I think he's a warrior, but I also thought the same about Desean Jackson and Zach Ertz. Both completely sucked when there were contract disputes under the surface. For Robinson, what else doe he have to prove? Unless the team extends him there's little upside in playing more that the bare minimum of games (6) needed to get to free agency.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Are you clueless about Wilson being unhappy in with Pete Carroll?

Why would it be unheard of, we have seen it in the NFL before. There’s a difference between a long shot (Which this situation is) and unrealistic/unheard of (Which you think it is).

I have heard he is unhappy. I have heard he would be fine being traded to the Bears.

This is unheard of. We have never seen a QB of this level traded and we have never seen a team take this large of a cap hit to do it.

We can compromise on "Super Unlikely".

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It was also unheard of to trade a top 2 pass rusher in his prime to another team, and yet we have Khalil Mack. Years ago, it was unheard of to trade an up and coming quarterback who just made a pro Bowl in his third year and looked potentially to be a franchise quarterback to another team and yet we ended up with Jay Cutler. granted, he didn't end up being a franchise quarterback but at the time the general League consensus was trending that way in terms of belief.

The point is, just because something hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't.

All it takes is the right situation.

And right now you have a situation brewing that is looking like it could be the right situation, not to mention Seattle is just a fucking weird place man.

I'm not saying the deal will get done. But there is enough smoke there to not dismiss it out of hand either.

I never said it was impossible. I said it is super unlikely.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If the Bears have a quarterback in mind they really need to trade up even higher than thirteenth. They can't risk it. I think the natural target is the Eagles pick at sixth overall. It would cost this years and next years first (minimum) but the Bears also did the Eagles a huge solid by pretending to be interested in Carson Wentz.

I do not think the Eagles want to move down to 20. They would be passing on the elite WRs and Pitts for someone like Bateman.

msadows

Liked Posts:
Pretty realistic and I could see this happening.

Not a fan of brisset tho. I'd rather see if they could get winston to come here

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I do not think the Eagles want to move down to 20. They would be passing on the elite WRs and Pitts for someone like Bateman.
They just fired Doug Pederson and replaced him with Nick Sirianni. Who knows what is in the water in Philadelphia. Also Justin Jefferson was drafted just last year at twenty-second overall and he was far and away the best wide receiver taken.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Why pay Brissett $4 mil when we already have Foles who we're paying? It's not like Brissett plays QB anyway close to the way Jones will play which would be closer to Foles then Brissett. Seems like a waste of money and also why sign another TE and also draft one? Seems like a lot of unrealistic scenarios but i'm used to it.

Because you cannot go into the draft with just Nick Foles on the roster.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pretty realistic and I could see this happening.

Not a fan of brisset tho. I'd rather see if they could get winston to come here

He was another I debated, but I think he stays in NO to compete and see if he can rehab his image enough to get a Teddy deal.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
There is no guarantee the Bears are going to be able to draft a QB.

They will need to add a veteran capable of starting in case they do not get to draft one that can have an impact year 1.

They cannot start Nick Foles, he is atrocious, they know they cannot start him. It is pretty obvious at this point that Foles is a trash QB who has gone on a couple of timely heaters in his career.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I agree they'll pursue a free agent quarterback, I just don't think Brissett is the right guy.